Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznsa View Post
I may be wrong here, but as far as I know Maxxis is a China owned company that provides tires all over the world. I would think that the tires themselves are also made in China. So wouldn't that make them part of the "china bomb" group?
No, Maxxis is not a China owned company.

Tire DOT Plant Codes – Sorted by Plant Code - Tire Safety Group
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #42

Notice the DOT code at the bottom of the tire. You may have to blow it up and turn your computer upside down but you will see "20ZD". Just put 4 of these on my Aviator.
Tire DOT Plant Codes – Sorted by Plant Code - Tire Safety Group
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2233.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	98405  
Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 PM   #43

So you say this" I spend my money to be safe and to keep you safe. I can look at DW and say I worked on it" Yet you won't pass on this magic purchase so we can say the same.
Puzzling?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
So you say this" I spend my money to be safe and to keep you safe. I can look at DW and say I worked on it" Yet you won't pass on this magic purchase so we can say the same.
Puzzling?
I am not trying to pick a product and sing about or against. Just trying to be a responsible person in my life. I miss the magic purchase point. Not being a trouble to your point. Please explain..
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 PM   #45

Your statement clearly states you are quite happy with your purchase regarding the safety of your family and other travelers. I was asking if you would pass on the info of your purchase. If you feel you would rather not. It's OK.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Your statement clearly states you are quite happy with your purchase regarding the safety of your family and other travelers. I was asking if you would pass on the info of your purchase. If you feel you would rather not. It's OK.
mike.t,
Sometimes folks can sound ruff when they are trying to "type" talk. Typing to each other vs sitting and talking across a table is not as good, miss the beer drinking point.

You nailed it. I am happy after reading opinions for a year and reaching out to a member that made me think that this member had a good perspective.

I am satisfied that I have, a good, and possibly better, chance of having a good experience with tires. When I can speak to the good or bad about it, I will, I just do not have the stripes yet.

That being said, Everyone can share good and bad stories about a brand of tire. The bottom line is, we all want to be safe.

PS. Goodyear
That should get it going...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #47

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #48

Why aren't folks putting heavy duty truck tires on these trailers?
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #49
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
Why aren't folks putting heavy duty truck tires on these trailers?
Some members say they've switched to LT truck tires and are happy with them. LT tires are available in many 16" and larger sizes but only available in limited 15" sizes and nothing in 14" or smaller.

Others have gone with Goodyear's G614 heavy trailer tire but they're only available in one size.

So, in many cases the option just isn't available to go with anything other than a ST tire made somewhere in Asia. Depending on the size you need you may not be able to get anything better than a LR D which is my situation for size ST205/75R15 tires.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
Two of my China Bombs completely shredded, both on the same day several hours apart. They had less than 5000 miles on them, proper inflation, not overweight and not over speed and on a good interstate. Warranty Company refused to return my calls after my initial complaint.

I would post Pics but have absolutely no idea how, The were Akuret, Range E, DOT Registered, ST 235/80R16 mfg 1312 and disintegrated Nov 2015 .
Kenenn here is a picture of your tire. Your posting on the main picture page .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	98431  
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #51

Wow! Are you sure that isn't my tire?? I have 4 that look just like it. Three by TowMax and one Akuret. Another Akuret with the sidewall blown out.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
Kenenn here is a picture of your tire. Your posting on the main picture page .
Make sure you report this to the NHTSA with all the details and pix. This is the only way we can get this problem fixed.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #53

I had Westlake tires on my first Cedar Creek and I put at least 10,000 miles on them and I never had a problem. I kept the right amount of air in tires, 80lbs. I installed a TPMS on the tires, TST 507. About 90% of the time I kept the speed under 65mph but there a few times I ran close to 80mph. In those tires I ran nitrogen, I don't know if that made a difference or not. I would say no matter what brand of tires you have is install a good set of TPMS on the tires and keep the air checked. Look at the tires after every trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #54

My TT tires have Nitrogen in them and I guess I will just add air should the need arise. I understand that Nitrogen makes up about 78 percent of the air we breath and that Nitrogen is less likely to migrate through the rubber in the tires.
I will check the tires before each trip and at every stop along the way.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by debandi View Post
My TT tires have Nitrogen in them and I guess I will just add air should the need arise. I understand that Nitrogen makes up about 78 percent of the air we breath and that Nitrogen is less likely to migrate through the rubber in the tires.
I will check the tires before each trip and at every stop along the way.

I don't want to get into the Nitrogen, I was just stating what happened to me. I don't run Nitrogen in the tires I have now, just air. I did notice on the Westlake tires that they ran cooler. That could been a lot of things, I use air. If I could get free Nitrogen I would run Nitrogen. DW brought me a air compressor for my birthday and I use it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Sounds like you changed out one good tire for another. Even trade. Be just as vigilant with the new tires as the old ones. With all this China bomb talk on this Forum you would think the highways would be littered with trailers.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

EVERY time we take a camping trip, we have a family bet on how many units we will see on the side of the road with blowouts. Summer time is the highest with one trip having 5. This past trip in Jan, we only saw 1. We always see china bomb sufferers... LOL.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #57

I replaced my china bomb with 50 miles on them. I went with Firestone Transforce HT E load commercial grade tires. I stay away from ST rated tires for highway use.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #58

We are camping at a Resort in Arizona. Went to a "get-together" for fellow Iowa folks last night. While sitting with others I noticed the beautiful large 5th wheel next to our location had a section of the fender skirt missing and a ragged edge on the remaining/attached section. turns out the person sitting next to my wife was the owner and when I asked him what happened, he said a tire had blown out just 50 miles after he left his home in Minn. My next question was-- were the tires the original ones that came with your trailer? Not a surprise at all, he answered YES they were and they were made in CHINA! All I could think of was---if he'd have replaced them before the blowout, he would have saved a lot of time and money!! He did get a few years and 20K miles out of them but --still, pay me now or pay me later!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #59

I've put a little over 2000 miles so far on our C-rated original tires (some no-name brand), but do plan to switch them out for the Maxxis D-rated tires (so I don't need to switch rims) before our 8500 mile trip this summer.

What concerns me is not whether the tire is made in China or not, but that the tires are C-rated, and are borderline overloaded from the factory.

One of the valve stems on the factory tires seems to not allow the TPMS to be screwed on far enough, so it gets an intermittent reading on one tire (false under-pressure reading), but the same sensor is fine on other tires (and I've even switched out the valve stem core, so it seems to be the valve stem outer itself). I'll put better stems in when getting the new tires installed/balanced.

I'm interested to hear folks experience getting tires installed. Did you manage to find somewhere that could do them all for you (and actually lift a 5er safely), or did you just take off one tire at a time and get them change ? (and did you take them off at the tire shop, or take the tires in one at a time ?)
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I've put a little over 2000 miles so far on our C-rated original tires (some no-name brand), but do plan to switch them out for the Maxxis D-rated tires (so I don't need to switch rims) before our 8500 mile trip this summer.

What concerns me is not whether the tire is made in China or not, but that the tires are C-rated, and are borderline overloaded from the factory.

One of the valve stems on the factory tires seems to not allow the TPMS to be screwed on far enough, so it gets an intermittent reading on one tire (false under-pressure reading), but the same sensor is fine on other tires (and I've even switched out the valve stem core, so it seems to be the valve stem outer itself). I'll put better stems in when getting the new tires installed/balanced.

I'm interested to hear folks experience getting tires installed. Did you manage to find somewhere that could do them all for you (and actually lift a 5er safely), or did you just take off one tire at a time and get them change ? (and did you take them off at the tire shop, or take the tires in one at a time ?)
Personally have done it both ways. It is easy to find a tire shop that can lift a fifth wheel safely it is much harder finding one that has a big enough parking lot / area to do it. Here to do it one at a time may take several days.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote