Old 10-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Coax connection with Tailgater?

Uhg! New to us Wildcat 337FB and we are in the boondocks. I've been working for two days to connect our Tailgater without running a cable through a window or door. Inside the camper, under the main TV, we have a cab/sat box with in/out connections and a separate cable from the wall for the antenna (no boost button)(from the same hole in the wall, an HDMI cable and video/audio component cable- I think these go to the Jensen Entertainment player which is factory installed). We have a coax port in the bunk room with a boost button, and a coax port in the master bedroom, no booster. Outside, we have a "Cab/Sat In" port at the water hookup station and an unmarked coax port which is next to an electric outlet in the storage compartment. Also, an outdoor TV connected to the antenna.
So far, the only way I've been able to connect our VIP211Z is by doing so directly.
I can't believe such a nice camper would fail to have the coax cable needed to avoid running a cable through the living quarters, but so far that appears to be case. Any help from veteran campers?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I hope you get your answer. You may get more responses if you shorten you query to something like. Does anyone know how to hookup a tailgater to a wildcat 337FB, JMHO

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #3

on my unit 2015 317RL I have two sat inputs. #1 to bedroom and #2 to entertainment center located by the HDMI cable, which goes to the TV in my case.

You can pull the cover off the coax receptacle and look at the wires in going to the coax connector, should be orange...at least that is the color they used on my unit for the sat runs.

Watching DirecTv right now as i type.

I'm using a Swim system.

Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #4

It has been an ongoing issue, IMHO there is just to many splitters for the receiver to power the dome.

I ended up fishing a coax thru the wall to behind the tv in order to make it work.

Not the best but it works and the boss is happy.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

You simply have to find a cable that is a home run from the outside connection to the connection near the tv, and connect to that. On my previous camper it was impossible and I had to go through a window with flat coax (any Radio Shack has 'em). On my current camper it is better installed. I just pulled the plates and found the coax with same color on each end and plugged to that, and it worked.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I hope you get your answer. You may get more responses if you shorten you query to something like. Does anyone know how to hookup a tailgater to a wildcat 337FB, JMHO
also knowing the model year helps
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainyday View Post
Uhg!...... So far, the only way I've been able to connect our VIP211Z is by doing so directly. I can't believe such a nice camper would fail to have the coax cable needed to avoid running a cable through the living quarters, but so far that appears to be case. Any help from veteran campers?
Help us help you by posting a few photos. A photo of the TV jacks on the exterior of the trailer and a photo of the TV jack(s)/TV preamp below the TV in the interior of the trailer. And photos of the other TV jacks inside the trailer. I had a similar problem because the TV jacks were poorly labeled. I had to remove the wallplate below the TV and "ring out" each coaxial cable with an ohmmeter. Also, does the tailgater use 1 coaxial cable or two?

The TV plate in the storage compartment is most likely connected to a splitter behind the wall plate below the TV. (As a last resort, this coaxial cable run could be used to connect your dish.)
I Built and Fly - Van's Aircraft RV-12
MartyQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Ed

Had similar problem with our Chaparral. Satellite cable ended behind fireplace. Had to run cable to connecter on trailer input. Also make sure that you have RG6 coax not RG59. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #9

Splitter

I have an roof antenna with amplification & a cable coax in. When you push a button it will switch between the antenna or cable. Here the problem the switch box will not allow the 12v needed to pass thru to the tailgater in cable mode. What you need is a splitter that allows the 12v to pass thru. With a splitter I have no problems even with a 50' coax to my King Flex. The King Flex VuQube is like a tailgater.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

Tailgater has to have a direct coax to the outside connection. It can't go through a booster, etc. On my Rockwood, 8315BSS I have 2 cable connections outside, 1 for cable & 1 for satellite, the same inside below my TV. Also, on my King Quest (same as your tailgater, except for Direct TV) I had to change the little wire between the TV & power booster to a regular RG6 cable, the one that came with it was too small to get a good signal. I talked to a tech at King Controls about the problem and he said he has been trying to get them to change that short, little wire with no results.

Good luck