Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Future Archaeologist

Common Wildcat Issues?

Hello all,

This is my first post in the wildcat thread. I was hoping to get some input from experienced wildcat owners about some common issues to watch out for on our models. My folks and I just bought a 2012 Wildcat F241RLX 5th and are taking it to the Big Horn Mountains next weekend. I want to make sure everything is in working order when we get there and when we get back. I have owned 5th wheel trailers before, but this is our 1st Forest River. I will take pics and put them up when we get back Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated!
arrowhead307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome to the board arrowhead. I don't think there are any "common" problems. Well, except maybe the tires. If you have the Trail Express Power Touring, you'll get loads of advice to change them out as soon as possible. I got about 2 years and less than 3,000 miles on mine. I now have new fender skirts and insulation and other repairs, and 4 brand new Maxxis tires.

Other than that, my Cat has been pretty good to me. A few minor issues (screws out or missing, a light not screwed in completely, misaligned cabinets). But stuff like that I fix myself since I know it'll be done right this time.

Hope that helps. Let us know how your maiden voyage goes!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Future Archaeologist

Thanks for the info EdJr. The tires are getting changed asap....they are new but a brand that I don't trust. I will let you know how the trip goes for sure! Thanks again
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

A leaky shower pan is a common problem. Some leak onto the floor of the trailer while others may leak into the basement area. You probably won't have this problem but it's something to look for.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Future Archaeologist

Thanks a ton Oak!! That is something I will definitely keep an eye on after every shower....great to know and much appreciated!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #6

I love the mountains and your Wildcat is the perfect size for many NFS Campgrounds. I'm sure you're going to love your new Wildcat. What campground will you be going to?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Future Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I love the mountains and your Wildcat is the perfect size for many NFS Campgrounds. I'm sure you're going to love your new Wildcat. What campground will you be going to?
We live in Bridger, MT (about 55 miles as the crow flies from YNP) near the WY border. We are going the Burgess Junction way or ALT 14 (Big Horn Medicine Wheel is on route) and will be staying at Tie Flume or Dead Swede campground (great fly fishing for small brookies). There are a few archaeological sites I am gonna visit and will take pics
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #8

Hello- I saw your post and noticed your from Bridger mt. We are looking to move to Bozeman. Couple of questions for you. Can you camp around that area in the winter? If so what is needed to make the camper not freeze etc. what are some of the better places for a quick weekend trip. Lastly is that a good area for raising a family? how harsh are the winters- I don't trust what the realtors tell us.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Future Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Hello- I saw your post and noticed your from Bridger mt. We are looking to move to Bozeman. Couple of questions for you. Can you camp around that area in the winter? If so what is needed to make the camper not freeze etc. what are some of the better places for a quick weekend trip. Lastly is that a good area for raising a family? how harsh are the winters- I don't trust what the realtors tell us.
Sent you a PM