Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Detachable Roof Ladder?

Howdy, I'm doing some research into changing the roof access ladder on a FR Wildcat 5er (typically mounted on the rear of the coach) to one like the toy haulers use that detaches from the side of the toy hauler. I am likely going to need those few inches the factory ladder adds to the overall length of the 5er and if so would like to be able to temporarily remove it. My thoughts are to replace the mounts with those used by the toy haulers. Not sure if that means replacing the entire ladder or modifying the factory ladder,,,,,, Anybody done this before? Thoughts?

Of course I could just move the house a couple feet further from the curb , though that would mean a permit, ACK!

Thanks,
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The roof ladder requires backing board or plate in the exterior wall at the mounting point. You wouldn't be able to mount it on the side of the camper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #3

My thought was to mount it back in the same location (rear mount) only with the quick-release mounts. I realize the mounts would have to go back in the same locations because of the backing plates in the wall. It may well turn into too much an ordeal to bother with. I'm just thinking I could gain another eight inches closer to structures in the storage area. (Or just use more speed when parking it,,, :-)
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote