Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #21

Actually Kamloops BC Less that 10" a year.
Halifax Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #22

Thanks for all the opinions. We are going tomorrow with a 3rd set of eyes. It is a case of cut short and covered with extra calk. we will inspect carefully. there are also other units to look at so we will see.

I'll let you all know what we find and our decision.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #23
jkoenig24

Walk??????

Hell, RUN!!!!!!!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #24
Canadian Member

Interesting thread. Does anybody know what’s involved in pulling up the roof membrane after removing all the roof fixtures? I wonder how well the glue holds and how difficult it is to peel up the membrane.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #25

Glad you’re going not sure anybody has ever got a perfect trl most have issues be the judge yourself
Old 03-16-2019, 04:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Jack View Post
Thanks for all the opinions. We are going tomorrow with a 3rd set of eyes. It is a case of cut short and covered with extra calk. we will inspect carefully. there are also other units to look at so we will see.

I'll let you all know what we find and our decision.

Good decision. You really should give this dealer credit for bringing this to your attention and not just ignoring it, leaving you to deal with it if it ever became a real big problem.

If you don’t buy this unit, I think you should feel comfortable buying anything else from this dealer.

Bruce
Old 03-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Interesting thread. Does anybody know what’s involved in pulling up the roof membrane after removing all the roof fixtures? I wonder how well the glue holds and how difficult it is to peel up the membrane.

When the factory replaced ours they had to replace all the plywood. Pulling the roofing material off tore up the plywood because of the glue.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #28

My guess is they investigated water intrusion and found the leak area. Hope he took a moisture meter to check the roof, ceiling, walls, and floor.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #29

Well we went and had a look and walked!! not so much for the roof issue but overall quality of unit in general.
We had viewed 2019 model year units and in general were pleased with what we saw and thus was the reason to investigate these units. However, We found blinds that would not work doors that wouldn't close in general poor workmanship. There were two units same model side by side. One unit the linen closet door could not be opened if the bedroom sliding door was closed. In the other unit the sliding door cleared by 1.5". I must say the dealer was very good very accommodating friendly not pushy but in the end these units weren't for us. So we spent the rest of the weekend visiting the Grand Kids so all was not lost. Thanks for all the feedback
Old 03-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #30
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Well we went and had a look and walked!! not so much for the roof issue but overall quality of unit in general.
Sounds like you made a good move. You don't want to have doubts when pulling away from the dealer.

You can expect to do minor repairs even with a new unit, that's just part of owning an RV that you are taking down some of our rough highways...but you should not have to deal with that type of major repair and structural damage.

Now you can take another look at what type of RV you want that fits your lifestyle

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #31
Do It Yourselfer

2 Cents Worth

If it was their first RV, there's a good chance they won't have it only a year or two. The first unit is a test to see if you like camping/traveling. And if the floor plan actually meets their need. Good chance they won't own it long enough to be a problem. If there's no ceiling discoloration or warping it probably wasn't that bad a leak.

In the new car business, if the repair of brand new vehicle is more then a certain dollar amount, (say $500. for parts), it's has to be disclosed to the potential buyer.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffwuff View Post
If it was their first RV, there's a good chance they won't have it only a year or two. The first unit is a test to see if you like camping/traveling. And if the floor plan actually meets their need. Good chance they won't own it long enough to be a problem. If there's no ceiling discoloration or warping it probably wasn't that bad a leak.

In the new car business, if the repair of brand new vehicle is more then a certain dollar amount, (say $500. for parts), it's has to be disclosed to the potential buyer.
I believe he was very clear on the reason for walking away. Length of ownership time really goes out the window as his consideration of the basic quality of the trailers did not come close to his expectations.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
If it were me, I would not buy a "new" unit that had a roof issue and needed a new roof. The point made above that there may have been water intrusion with the defective roof would be enough to make me pass. It may cost you a few thousand dollars more for a 2019 model, however, in the end it may be money well spent.
Good advice. If it were me I would pass this unit up.. If it has a major roof problem or any moderate problems before delivery think what it will have after delivery. Most RV units are cheaply built and starting off with a problem like this IMO would be a mistake.
(8 Motorhomes and 3 Toy haulers.) Been there and have the T-Shirt!
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #34

If it were me I would insist that it is repaired by a “certified RV roofing company”. The closest one on the east coast that I know of is in Nashville. I’ve only found 2 or 3 companies that are certified to do this kind of work/repair and there isn’t any RV dealer repair shops on the list.

I had to repair the roof on my wildcat a couple of years ago and as soon as I got the rubber membrane off It was immediately apparent that they didn’t do it correctly at the factory. The most important thing they didn’t do properly was the CDX plywood, they installed it upside down, and put the glue on it in random patches up and down and side to side. As a result there were rotten spots big enough to put my closed fist into. Thankfully the majority of the damage was limited to the bedroom.

I had to rip everything out, build new cabinets and new exterior fiberglass panels thanks to all of the black mold in the front walls. The plywood they used behind the fiberglass nose was so bad that when I pressed it water came out and it felt like a sponge.

I bought it used from a private party for a really good price, it took me 8 months to do the repairs, 2 months of that time I spent in the hospital because of a false positive lung cancer and TB diagnosis.

Mold is hard to find even when you’re looking for it, and if you can’t do the work it gets very expensive. Don’t be afraid to walk away if you find any hidden damage or mold when you inspect it. Good luck!
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #35

Hold or Fold

Everything has a dollar value,What does a brand new one cost without damage,if they are saving you a minimal amount of money vs future time and aggravation for potential problems leaks tearing and structural damage.Also i would imagine the factory or their insurance co is involved and there would be records of this so they are obligated to disclose structural damage if they know about it, which they do because they are repairing it.So unless they are saving you thousands of the thousands that they will already discount i would walk .but again money talks.
BOB3288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #36

Why take a chance!

You will have enough normal issues with your RV. Why purchase one that starts out with a big issue. Even at a discount, it is not worth taking on the headache.
FrankBianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #37
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Glad you walked after finding additional workman ship issues. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #38

I'd walk. Look for another unit
Old 03-22-2019, 12:09 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterphowler View Post
I'd walk. Look for another unit
The OP already said they walked away from it, back in post #29.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Interested in a 285 rkx 5er

Was arranging a 250 mile trip this Saturday to look at the unit. During a recent discussion with the sales rep she indicated that the roof on this new 2018 model was going to be replaced under warranty due to poor installation along with a window that had a bent frame. I spoke to the service manager who further explained that the roof membrane was cut short around a roof vent and was pulling away. their decision was to replace the entire roof. In addition the window in question was stiff to open due to a bent frame so the decision was made to replace both items. Now my concern:

With all you hear about poor workmanship and being made aware of these issues do I walk, run or move forward with site visit and possible purchase.

I must point out that the dealer could have chosen not to tell us and we would never know. I would not have seen the roof issue and for sure I would not have noticed a stiff window pre purchase. The fact that they did share this information does say something about the dealer. But right now we could move on
What to do? your opinions are most valued

Mod edit: update posted here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2049349
I'd like to believe the dealer was just being honest and forthright.... unfortunately I don't.
My educated guess is a savvy RV owner was in the market, climbed on top, and pointed it out to them along with the window. I doubt they "found it on their own". They never do....
Now, if they would discount that unit some more and offer an extended warranty on the roof you might have found a diamond in the rough.
ARICE is offline   Reply With Quote