Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

Dump valves

I just bought a 07, 29' Wildcat 5th wheel. Some of the construction, (after a closer look) is a little concerning. The metal supports that support the flairing around the bottom looks like curtan rod stuff? The strapping to hold the plumbing from the black and grey tanks also looks substandard. But, my biggest concern is how low the tank drain valves hang. Is that normal on this year trailer?

I'm thinking about cutting this stuff and re-plumbing it up a few inches. Anyone else have to do that?
cdflyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Yes.

The dump valves for the black and gray tanks on our Rockwood 8315SS were located where you had to literally get down on your knees to reach the handles.

I cut the orginal valves out and replaced them with a new valve assembly that is easy to reach and still out of harms way.

It was about a 3 hour job.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #3

With my 8314ss the black and gray valves are no problem, it's the galley (kitchen sink) that's the problem it is under the slide out and almost dead center, so crawling under the slide out is a must to dump.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
With my 8314ss the black and gray valves are no problem, it's the galley (kitchen sink) that's the problem it is under the slide out and almost dead center, so crawling under the slide out is a must to dump.
Rockwood, I think one of those electric dump valves you can buy would be first on my list for that galley drain if I was in your shoes, crawling under the slide doesn't sound fun, espicially if it's wet and muddy under there.

Actually I have seen many trailers and 5ers that seem to have the dump valves and plumbing just hanging out there and it has always struck me as odd. I would probably be inclined to do a remodel on that if it were me.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Rockwood, I think one of those electric dump valves you can buy would be first on my list for that galley drain if I was in your shoes, crawling under the slide doesn't sound fun, especially if it's wet and muddy under there.

Actually I have seen many trailers and 5ers that seem to have the dump valves and plumbing just hanging out there and it has always struck me as odd. I would probably be inclined to do a remodel on that if it were me.
There was a member here on the Forum about a year or so ago that posted a mod for this issue. All three lines were connected together with one pipe. From what I remember the member said the only problem he had with the mod is that he had to make sure he had enough liquid in the tanks to force everything out and the reason for this is because of the lack of fall on the connecting pipe with the camper level. I tried doing the same thing but no place to put the connecting pipe, the axles are in the way. I will have to look into your suggestion, thanks for the idea.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildcat