Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
TBarbs

Extreme Cold Weather Travel

We plan to leave SD for TX on Saturday. It will be -25 or so when we leave with a daytime high of -3. The 10 day weather shows very little improvement.
The 29 RLX is winterized and in a heated hanger. I thought about running the heater on 50. After searching some old threads and reading the pros and cons I now think we will just put everything that is glass or liquid up in the backseat floor of the tv and leave the heater off. I don't even think the fridge would keep things from freezing. Originally we were going to put everything in there and turn it off.
Does anyone have experience towing in those temps?
tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

One winter we left Michigan to Arizona and left the heat & frig on all the way. The heat & frig has a DSI ignition system so there's no worry of a pilot light going out. It didn't fail me all the way down and kept all the freezables safe.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

winter travel

You are on right track on storage. You can use huge amounts of fuel if roads get snow covered with usual refuges becoming places to get stuck.
Driving on the Zamboni finished highways can be unstable even as you stay steady but hit snow on one side and ice on other.
I was surprised by the number traveling pulling 30'+ rvs last week and they were having trouble with dangerous jack-knifing and getting stuck in gas stations in upper Michigan.
But you are headed south, be patient, stopping distances on ice and snow become so dangerous.
Enjoy the rest of the winter down there.
Just saw date, hope you had good trip
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

I agree, keep the RV winterized and liquids above 32 degrees while you travel!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

We have towed three different fifth wheels and now drive the MH in those conditions over the past several years thru Montana, Idaho, and Utah. Didn’t like it, but it was what it was/is. We used the refrigerator and kept the furnace on 50 degrees. Most years it would be at freezing or well below for 2 1/2 days or so. Make sure to start out with full propane tanks, and we plugged in or ran the gen overnight to keep the batteries up. We never had a problem with things in the fridge or out in the open, but didn’t put anything that could be hurt in cabinets. Kept the rv winterized until we hit above freezing temps in Nevada. I think you just have to go with what you are comfortable with. I’d 100% rather do it in warmer temps and better road conditions but I notice we seem to always have other rv’s doing the same thing. Have a great trip!

Tags
travel