Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Factory Bike Rack??

We just took delivery of our 2015 327CK Wildcat. We really like the camper and everything is just like we ordered.

After reading threads on this forum, we decided to order the factory bike rack. I had used bumper and ladder racks in the past and figured for the money, a factor bike rack was worth it given the warranty issues.

Got the fiver home yesterday and started playing with everything today, and for the life of us, we cannot figure out how to install a bike on the "bike rack". The bike rack is basically a cargo carrier like you see people use on their SUV's with a wire mesh bottom. There is a square tube that you mount vertically on the back, but it doesn't have any attachments to it, just two holes and an I-bolt.

There is no way a bike would stay on the rack unless you laid it down, so am I missing something here? I'm sure you can order a wheel holder like you mount in the bed of a trailer and attach it to the mesh floor, but why would it be called a bike rack if you cannot mount a bike?

Either I'm really dense and cannot figure it out, or I'm going to have to order a real bike rack and figure out how to mount it to the cargo carrier.

Any help would be great!
Dutch Oven Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I also just brought home our new 2015 Wildcat 282RKX w/bike rack. It's the same as yours. I was wanting to use it for bikes and cargo but since there are no slats in the bottom it's a problem to be solved. Pictures of past racks were solid tubing slats across the bottom.

We also just have the vertical post ??? Stand the bikes next to the vertical post with straps to the post and floor grate ???

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

I've got the same thing. I can see how it would handle a generator or a cooler, but I can't imagine how a bike could be properly secured on there. Mine had the rack when it was bought off the lot, but I don't think I'd order one, having seen what it's like.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

Our Sabre came with the rack with slots the wheels fit into but we still had to modify it to work with our bikes.

Lund Bike Carrier Hoops for Lund Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier 601009 | eBay

Here is a link to an item on ebay that will make it a lot easier to secure your bikes to your style cargo rack. You may be able to find a similar type item in a local bike or hitch supply shop instead of having to buy on-line.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

I'm also interested in the "how to use" this bike rack before we order it. Any other thoughts on just how to secure bikes to this?
nole_trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_trainer View Post
I'm also interested in the "how to use" this bike rack before we order it. Any other thoughts on just how to secure bikes to this?
After you lower the rack into place, there's a metal post that can be mounted upright. I think the idea is to somehow secure the bikes to that post, but I can't think of a real good way of doing it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #7

When all else fails, call the manufacturer. Here's Lipperts's General Customer Service number. 574-537-8900.

Also, here's some info on Lippert's site (Lippert Components, Inc.) about how to mount the bike to the bar...warning...you are going to be very disappointed and I am blown away that they actually sell this half baked product with this kind of useless instruction. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the FAQs and select "How to use my manual bike rack". While it's probably not a rack exactly like yours, it does offer a poor excuse of how to use the "bar". I'm sitting hear shaking my head. Bike Rack - Storage & Convenience - Customer Support
Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

I recently ordered a wildcat maxx 262RKX and after looking at the factory cargo rack I decided that would not work for my bikes, so I opted out. With this rack the rear bumper is extended maybe 8 to 10 inches and has welded brackets to hold the rack. The dealer says that since I did not order the rack the bumper would not have the brackets and would not be extended. Anyone know I this will be the case.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

By the way, I ordered the Hollywood front fork rack and mounted it to the frame of the "bike rack". It worked great with no bouncing of the bikes when I strapped them down.
Dutch Oven Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #10

After using a bumper mounted back rack on our old camper and seeing the stress it caused to the bumper over time, I wanted to add the bike rack to our 2014. (The one thing ours didn't have that we wanted.)
Initially I thought that the slots for the bikes instead of the grate would be better. After securing the bikes to the grate and vertical post for the trip to Myrtle Beach I have changed my mind.
I attached the bikes with LOTS of bungee cords. I like the expanded metal bottom. It gave me varius places to attach the cords. I tied the first bike to the vertical post and the other bike to the first bike as well as the post. If we had more expensive bikes, I might consider cutting up a swim noodle to use as a cushion at the points of contact.I like I am happy to report that they did not move at ALL on the trip!
If I did this correctly there should be a picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack.jpg
Views:	1575
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	53154  
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, factory