Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

fifth wheel hitch height

I recently purchased a 312bhx. can anyone tell me what the level hitch height is of the fifth wheel king pin. i want to use a gooseneck adapter and am looking for what length i need. tow vehicle is a 2010 dodge ram 8 ft bed cummins.
rem12para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Always Learning

I could be wrong as I'm repeating what I've read on the Internet - but "they" claim the gooseneck adapter will void your frame warranty.

Interestingly though- the campground that I'm in now have 2 gooseneck adapters.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Always Learning

"They" also say that most fifth wheel frames aren't near beefy enough for the extra forces from gooseneck adapters and you're fixing for problems if you do it.

Sorry, neither of these answer your actual question, though... I don't know that.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I could be wrong as I'm repeating what I've read on the Internet - but "they" claim the gooseneck adapter will void your frame warranty.

Interestingly though- the campground that I'm in now have 2 gooseneck adapters.
Good point. You can read many horror stories of frame/pin box failures on the internet. It appears that most are barely adequate for conventional towing. Goose necks change the leverage point and creates higher stress points on the frame.
Even if the manufacturer approves it, I wouldn't do it. After one year, they are off the hook for any warranty.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Some ware in the 6-10 inches from bed rail to the over hang is what I've been told. Mine is at 7 inches. I would not suggest a gooseneck adapter I have seen first hand the problems these have caused.
rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem12para View Post
I recently purchased a 312bhx. can anyone tell me what the level hitch height is of the fifth wheel king pin. i want to use a gooseneck adapter and am looking for what length i need. tow vehicle is a 2010 dodge ram 8 ft bed cummins.
You are asking for BIG PROBLEMS. Best advice is DON'T DO IT!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

If you want to go the gooseneck adapter, may I suggest the Anderson ultimate goose neck adapter. ( I know guys, ready for the slams). I have been using one for over a year now and the more I use it, the more I like it. I cannot see where it adds additional stress to the the trailer as the leverage spot is about the same as a fifth wheel with the exception that it rotates on a ball instead of a pin. I did contact Libbert and they state it will void the warranty, however they would have to prove the hitch caused the problem. Anderson will warranty your trailer if any damage is proved to be caused by the adapter ( I have that in writing). This warranty has never been tested that I know of. More and more dealers are now selling these, and actually recommend them, rated to somewhere around 24,000 pounds.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

racerx, it adds an approx. 2' longer lever arm on the pin box. Don't think it would take much to prove it caused the failure.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Oldcoot,
The ball, when seated, is no lower then the pin itself and may even be closer to the box. The adapter can be mounted to where it is actually closer to the trailer, creating less required stress on the pin box.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

Oldcoot,
Did you mean to say 2ft. or two inches?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Oldcoot,
Did you mean to say 2ft. or two inches?
Should have been 2 inches, damn bifocals.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

racerx you have to remember that most 5ers are structurally heavier in the pin box area than the light wt 5er's and can no doubt take the extra strain.

What is the big advantage to the Anderson? Looks to me like it would be much more difficult to hitch.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #13

The original poster,
I did not intend to highjack this thread, I only posted, because if you were going to get a gooseneck adapter no matter what was said, that this adapter could be a viable choice. I hope someone jumps in here and answers your original question. I apologize for the highjacking.

Oldcoot,
I am not stating that this is better than a fifth wheel hitch by no means. I have it because my 1 ton already had the gooseneck ball in the bed and I did not want to add rails. I have Nothing to compare the ultimate hitch with because I have NEVER used a standard fifth wheel hitch. I do have the Flagstaff light 5th wheel. I have thought about replacing this hitch with the standard fifth wheel hitch, however, have talked to several different dealerships, and have basically been told it's a good hitch. I do like that I just back under the trailer, push the the retract button on the legs and push in on the locking pin and off I go. No pull test required. No possibility of dropping the trailer on my bed.