Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Front A/C for WildCat 5th wheel

I have a 2015 Wildcat 333mk that came pre-wired for a second A/C unit in the master bedroom. It also has the Dometic LCD thermostat already mounted on the wall. I want to install a Dometic Penguin II that is ducted along with the ducted quick cool shell/vent.

Has anyone added a second A/C on a Wildcat? If so what model # a/c unit was used? When doing the research there was a lot of different models to choose from.
dmac64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #2

I installed a second ac on my 2016 Wildcat 29rlx. I won't be of any help though because I elected to go not ducted in the bedroom.
I like it cold when I sleep.
I did not one thermostat trying to run two ac.
I figured a stand alone unit would be a more reliable backup.
Grandkids don't freeze while I sleep.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

trying to learn here. Why and how would you install a ducted unit for just one room??
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
trying to learn here. Why and how would you install a ducted unit for just one room??
On my unit for example which came with the optional front AC, both units are tied to the same ducting. So some of the Bedroom air goes to all of the trailer if the living room AC is not running.

I like both tied into the same ducting, because either unit can cool the trailer when it's not too hot.

I'll crank the bedroom down on mild nights to cool the living area while we watch TV, nice and quite in the living area.

The ducting may already be in place.
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #5

I would think to pull a vent cover and block the main duct where you want the air flow to stop. I would also try to split the air equally to ensure proper air flow. JMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #6

Don't have a Wildcat, but the optional second unit that came with my trailer is a Dometic 13.5K ducted Quiet Cool low profile A/C system. The low profile is key since it is at the high point of the roof. It is controlled by the bedroom thermostat so I can keep it cool.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narboza View Post
Don't have a Wildcat, but the optional second unit that came with my trailer is a Dometic 13.5K ducted Quiet Cool low profile A/C system. The low profile is key since it is at the high point of the roof. It is controlled by the bedroom thermostat so I can keep it cool.
My 2016 Wildcat 295rlx came from the factory with a 15k rear and 13.5 Quiet Cool low profile front. Both Dometic sharing common ducting. Bedroom thermo contols bedroom, livroom thermo contols livroom. System cools great even in 105deg Texas heat.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

I added a second A/C to my Wildcat last year. I went with a Dometic model 641915CXX1C0 A/C with model 3105935.47 Return Grill. This was all I needed to connect everything to the thermostat, wiring and ductwork that was already installed at the factory.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Keisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

I got my 2015 Wildcat 327 ck with two AC. They are ducked together and they each have a thermostat. When I had a fiver with a stand alone AC in the bedroom we didn't like it because it was on or off and it was loud. I am a heavy sleeper but it still made to much nose.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #10

Looks like I am in the minority here, chooseing a non-ducted bedroom a/c. It is loud, the living room a/c is also loud. The bedroom a/c does not keep me awake, It drowns out outdoors noise so I can sleep. I wonder why Wildcat decided four vents was enough for the 29rlx. My trailer seems to stay cool enough with one a/c and four ducts. I can't help but to think that a duct in the kitchen area would be a good idea.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve29rlx View Post
Looks like I am in the minority here, chooseing a non-ducted bedroom a/c. It is loud, the living room a/c is also loud. The bedroom a/c does not keep me awake, It drowns out outdoors noise so I can sleep. I wonder why Wildcat decided four vents was enough for the 29rlx. My trailer seems to stay cool enough with one a/c and four ducts. I can't help but to think that a duct in the kitchen area would be a good idea.

My camper has two a/c units, but the front one is not ducted and doesn't have a thermostat. You just crank it on and let it fly.

At first I didn't like that idea. Now, after camping in the heat, I have realized there is no exact climate controlling these campers. When it gets hot, you crank them. Brute force!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:27 AM   #12

Thanks Keisling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisling View Post
I added a second A/C to my Wildcat last year. I went with a Dometic model 641915CXX1C0 A/C with model 3105935.47 Return Grill. This was all I needed to connect everything to the thermostat, wiring and ductwork that was already installed at the factory.
Thank you Keisling, this is what I was looking for.
dmac64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cat, wheel, wildcat