Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Furrion Backup Camera

I have a new 312BHX with the factory furrion backup camera. Camera worked fine at first but now its not getting power. Anyone know where this is connected. I know its tied into the running lights. I opened all the rear running lights but found no place it was tied in. The wire is sandwiched along the rear wall and appears to go up towards the top marker lights. Again I can't find the wire. Any help on where to look for the junction would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
I have a new 312BHX with the factory furrion backup camera. Camera worked fine at first but now its not getting power. Anyone know where this is connected. I know its tied into the running lights. I opened all the rear running lights but found no place it was tied in. The wire is sandwiched along the rear wall and appears to go up towards the top marker lights. Again I can't find the wire. Any help on where to look for the junction would be appreciated.
I'm sincerely trying to help and not be a smart azz, but we had one on our last toy hauler and the truck had to be connected to the toy hauler (tow harness) and the running lights on the truck turned on. Does this help?

I made a piss poor attempt at removing it before we traded it in and I could not find the junction either and at that point left it on the old toy hauler. In hindsight I really wished I had spent more time trying to remove it............

Gil
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

No offense taken....yes I had the truck connected and running with lights on. Just can't find the damn connection point!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
No offense taken....yes I had the truck connected and running with lights on. Just can't find the damn connection point!
This is how far I got, removed camera, removed camera mount, removed all the damn glue, cut the crap out of my finger on sharp edge of aluminum, bled all over tailgate of toy hauler, found wires went to the left inside the hole, removed the closest marker lamp to that hole, removed all the damn glue again, cut another finger fishing for the wires, drank a beer so the blood would flow faster and easier, removed yet another marker light, removed, yes, you guessed it, more damn glue, drank another beer, found no wires and said to hell with it! Told myself I'd just buy a new Furrion for the Puma Unleashed...................No, I have not bought one yet. I let my southern attitude take over and now I just back up till someone yells or I hear stuff breaking. LOL
Old 05-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

LOL...I did same thing! Minus the blood. I removed ALL the marker lights! Can't see anything that looks like the camera power wire. I don't really care so much about the camera, never had one before but damn it came with it and its a new rig. I really shouldn't be surprised based on my experiences with previous trailer wiring etc.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

You'll probably find it connected to the back up lights, shifting into reverse activates the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #7

Appreciate the reply but its definitely hooked to running lights. Backup wire is capped in pinbox.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Appreciate the reply but its definitely hooked to running lights. Backup wire is capped in pinbox.

Agreed. Ours came factory on our 1st new toy hauler last year (Grey Wolf 27RR) and the truck did not have to be in reverse. Kinda cool seeing the D.A.'s coming up behind you in the interstate.......... LOL

I've got the best idea yet!

To hell with finding the damn wire!

Cut the wire at the camera and run your own wire from the nearest marker lamp and call it DONE!!! At this point in the game I promise you that is what I would do. Coat hanger, couple beers, 3 cases of band aids, 18" of wire and you should be set! I would estimate this project taking about 20 minutes so it will probably end up taking 2-3 weeks to complete! LOL (JK)

Time estimate based on how most of my 'projects' go...........
Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

I know your right I thought the same thing just run new power from the marker light above. The OCD in me has trouble not finding the root cause!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #10

Also I'm not hauling it back to my dealer either. Waste of time and Diesel!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

My SolAire has a pre-installed bracket and pigtail for the Furrion backup camera. The pigtail plugs directly into the camera. I will see what is required for it to operate when I get the camera.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Also I'm not hauling it back to my dealer either. Waste of time and Diesel!
I agree with that 110%!!! Going back to the dealer seems pointless to me as well. Between the forums and Youtube I can eventually figure most stuff out with some patience. DO you have some patience I can borrow?
LMAO

I can be OCD as well, but at some point and time I say to hell with it and cheat!

The good news is the wire HAS to be in there somewhere! It just sucks that they build the wire harness and then build the trailers around the damn harness!

My biggest fear was trying to remove the interior paneling without destroying it and then being able to reinstall it, again, without destroying it. I had already made the deal to trade it in and really didn't want to cause issues the next day at dealership because we took EVERYTHING with us and left straight from dealership to go camping and RZR riding in the new Puma.

After we get our new house built and sell the old house I'll break down and buy the high end Furrion while I still have a rear bumper on the Puma. LOL
And I say all that as we are building a house on the farm. Once we get moved in I will never have another spare minute as long as I live. LOL
Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #13

This camera is just one of many things I have fixed or upgraded on a brand new unit. Makes me ill the way they build these things. The assembly line must give out crack, meth and beer during break. Nothing is built the same. Shitty wire crimps, reversed radio polarity, pinbox wiring crap, shower faucet mount upside down, not to mention the positive fuse bus and grounds were a joke.

Don't get me wrong its a nice unit that will suit our family well. Good thing I have had time to shake this thing down at the house.

I wont even mention...wait yes I will.... the fact that FR decided to delete shutoff valves on the low point drains as well as the fresh water tank in favor of screw on caps. I guess new RVers like laying on dirt to screw a cap on.

I would pay to see someone new to the RV scene go to fill their tank only to have it run out the bottom just as fast. Priceless!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
This camera is just one of many things I have fixed or upgraded on a brand new unit. Makes me ill the way they build these things. The assembly line must give out crack, meth and beer during break. Nothing is built the same. Shitty wire crimps, reversed radio polarity, pinbox wiring crap, shower faucet mount upside down, not to mention the positive fuse bus and grounds were a joke.

Don't get me wrong its a nice unit that will suit our family well. Good thing I have had time to shake this thing down at the house.

I wont even mention...wait yes I will.... the fact that FR decided to delete shutoff valves on the low point drains as well as the fresh water tank in favor of screw on caps. I guess new RVers like laying on dirt to screw a cap on.

I would pay to see someone new to the RV scene go to fill their tank only to have it run out the bottom just as fast. Priceless!
You crack me up! Yes, I loved the damn caps for the low point drains! That was the 1st thing I did was throw caps away and install valves! The day we got home from our 1st trip I made a list and went through it at the house for 2 weeks of all the things I wanted to fix, modify, and add.

My wife and I have no kids and as far as I can remember have never sat at our dining room table to eat a meal unless guests were at the house. So I removed the dinette from the toy hauler and was amazed at the shitty craftsmanship I found lurking behind all the trim panels!!! It was utterly terrible at what I saw. Now there is a row of residential wall hugging recliners in the super slide in place of the dinette fit for a 2 year old and the cheap ass couch that was next to it...........

The sad truth though is that cars are not much better these days.........
I am a service director for 2 different Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealerships, a Chevy dealership and 2 different Polaris Victory CanAM dealerships. It amazes me at some of the crap I see come straight from the factory to our dealerships and then the factory bitches about our warranty expense being too high.

We live in a different world now days where NOBODY gives a damn about anything but themselves! Stand outside of a fast food joint for 5 minutes and see how many people will hold the door for another person. It sucks that common sense, pride in workmanship, and manners is all a thing of the past that I don't think I will live long enough to see return!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #15

Well said my brother...
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post

We live in a different world now days where NOBODY gives a damn about anything but themselves! Stand outside of a fast food joint for 5 minutes and see how many people will hold the door for another person. It sucks that common sense, pride in workmanship, and manners is all a thing of the past that I don't think I will live long enough to see return!
X2. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #17

I have a 2015 312bhx. It came with the furrion camera as well. Mine is on all the time. Even when not connected to the truck. So its fused somewhere, i haven't had to look to find out where though, but i bet under the front by the battery.
Air Bags, B&W Gooseneck

Days Camp 2015 (Since 6/23) 5
"Onward Thru The Fog"
SMN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #18

I hold the door for everyone.

Furrion makes (I believe) two separate cameras.......a Backup Camera, and an Observation Camera. My new 5'er has an Observation Camera. During PDI all they did was plug to cig lighter in truck, and Voila it came on (when I turned on parking lights on truck). It worked for 2 hours on way home. It died, and hasn't worked since.........doesn't matter if it's in reverse, park, drive, running, not running, whatever.......it's dead. The monitor in truck comes on, but will NOT pair with camera. Read "troubleshooting", did all that, nothing matters.

Replacing camera now seems to be a CHORE based on what I read above. Geez.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #19

Yep I agree! I tested the power wire to the camera and no juice and mine was definitely tied to running lights. I may try and pull power from a marker light tonight just to see if it works. If its a no go the camera will remain in place as an ornament.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
TGR

My Wildcat 5th wheel came with the rearview camera connected to the battery disconnect switch. An inline fuse holder was connected to the cutoff switch and then on to the camera. I inserted a 12-volt switch in series with this line so I can turn off my camera when not needed.

Obviously, our trailers are wired differently but perhaps a wire with an inline fuse is connected close to the trailer’s 7-way plug and runs back to the camera.

I would trace back a short distance from pin 3 of the trailer’s 7-way plug and look for a connection and fuse holder for the camera. It might be just a blown fuse that is the problem.