Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Furrion Camera: Backup vs. Fulltime Observation

My 2016 Wildcat came with the Furrion Backup camera. Forest River wires these to the marker lights so the camera is on all the time when you are towing.

One feature of the monitor is it can support 2 cameras. Say for instance you wanted to add a side view or a truck bed camera.

The model no. has a "12" in the label. This camera is intended for backup and does not do well as a fulltime rearview while traveling. Common issue is drop out and slow response. While the camera has an antenna, the matching monitor does not.

But wait! There is a better way! Upgrade your monitor and camera to Furrion's "Observation System". The model number has a " 48" in the labels of both the camera and monitor. The 48 camera uses the same bracket mount and wiring as the "12" so swap out is very easy.

The "48" monitor has an external tiny antenna and a more powerful processor. Longer range and no drop outs. Only caveat is that the "48" system is one camera only (no 2 cams like the "12").

I changed from " 12" to "48" because seeing behind as I travel was way more important to me. If this interests you, suggest you contact Furrion through their website.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

my 2015 is not wired to the marker lights, it has power all the time.
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Mine is also powered all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

My marker lights are on all the time that I am connected to the TV. Once disconnected they are off. I think I like it that way.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
StlClay

Takea look at Tadi Brothers.com. I bought a wireless rear view system for $200 complete . Use in on a Nissan crew cab and a Rockwood mini lite. No drop off and we do not use extended mirrors any more. Can be wired for full time or backup. I powered from my clearance litghts for ease of install and we never move without lights on.
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Old Timer

My 2015 Wildcat came with the camera direct wired to a spot right behind the battery disconnect switch. My dealer installed a on/off switch for me in that location so I can turn the camera off when the trailer is not in use. FR paid the tab. Guess they learned that lesson for the 2016's. As for the Furrion camera/monitor system, not much value to me. After all I've been backing up for forty some years without one and the resolution on this system is not that great. Got a much better back up camera on the Honda Pilot.
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

Ours is powered thru the parking light circuit. It just depends on how the manufacturer set it up. Furrion contacted me to beta test the "observation system" a couple of months ago but I did not take them up on it as we are trading our Flagstaff in. By the way, I will be selling my camera as it did not come with the unit, If anybody is interested PM me. I have not posted it in the classifieds yet as I just removed it from the trailer.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Old Timer

Yup, they wire them everywhere but to the nonexistent backup lights. Why do you think they call it a "backup camera"? Why do they put on a seven wire plug and only use six? I'm just wondering...
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #9

BTW for anyone with the "12" model Furrion backup system, the "48" model is much, much better. Monitor is a brighter and clearer screen. Camera resolution is very clear and seems to be a higher resolution. Most noticible to me was it didn't wash out in direct sunlight. Now that I've had both, if you are buying a Wildcat, ask them to get you the "48" "Observation" camera, even if you have to pay a little more. I think Furrion is working to get Forest River to switch.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;