Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Gas Certification

Looking for input on this topic...Gas/Propane Certification.

Although I am confident in inspecting my rig for any gas leaks the fact remains that I am not certified for this to be accepted as approved.

I contacted my local RV repairman (who is gas certified) told me... all that is required is proof of gas inspection on an invoice and a certification sticker was not required.

My question to RVer's in the USA what are the requirements in some of the States as far as 'gas certification' and 'certification sticker(displayed)' .

Thanks in advance for your input.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

Never heard of a requirement of a gas inspection certification anywhere in the US.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #3

I'm going to bump this back up............

The only thing as to propane gas inspections on the east coast that I heard of is some tunnels will not allow propane gas bottles at all, others require you to stop so the inspectors can make sure your gas is off before going into the tunnel. But as far as a general system inspections I do not know of any requirement....... hopefully some of the left coasters will comment.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'm going to bump this back up............

The only thing as to propane gas inspections on the east coast that I heard of is some tunnels will not allow propane gas bottles at all, others require you to stop so the inspectors can make sure your gas is off before going into the tunnel. But as far as a general system inspections I do not know of any requirement....... hopefully some of the left coasters will comment.........

I think what the OP is referring to is a Canadian requirement. New units can be ordered with the proper Canadian certifications, and I think any time a unit is resold the propane system needs to be re-certified or some other such nonsense. To my knowledge nowhere in the US requires such a certification. I could be wrong on that. No doubt somewhere in the US has to protect someone from themselves when it comes to LP gas, or generate some revenue by some type of BS inspection requirement.

The only tunnels I know of that prohibit propane transport, and I think its bottles over 10 lbs, is the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel on the beltway and Ft McHenry tunnel on I-95. I have heard there are similar restrictions around Boston? The Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel require valves to be off but I don't think they are going to stop and physically check them. That would cause a traffic jam from Norfolk to Philly.

How long before this thread turns into the infamous towing with the fridge running on propane fear mongering fiasco?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Thanks to : Oaklevel & Mr Havercamp for your replies.

Mr Havercamp brought up the point of having any rigs (with propane) 'recertified' when they are resold in Canada and this is probably what made me inquire what the requirements were in the USA.
Also if any RV Parks in the USA make it a requirement, for safety sake.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

never heard of an RV needing to be re-certified for gas in Canada (Ontario at-least). When I sold my popup it was just the ownership that changed hands. When I purchased my RV (Vibe 6501) in the US all they did up hear was check the lights, tires and stickers. Did not do anything with the gas.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, gas