Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

generator option?

Is there a generator option available for the Wildcat? If so it is gas or propane.

Thanks

2014: camped 12 nights
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

I just have 2 Yamaha 2000 gas gens that I take,light, small,parallel cable,used them when I had my TT..
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like there is no generator option according the Wildcat brochure.

I have found that most 5th wheel generators are propane, unless it is a Toy Hauler with an onboard gas filling tank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Yep my Toy Hauler has a Cummins Onan 5500 watt gas generator in it.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #5

I had a dealer install a second shore power cord receptacle in the rear wall of our Wildcat. Also had a receiver hitch put on the rear so that if we want to take a generator along I can set my Generac 4K generator on a receiver hitch platform and plug it into the rear power receptacle. The generator is only 30amp where as the Wildcat is 50amp but we dog bone down the cord. It will power everything except both a/c at the same time.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
TGR

The first thing I asked my dealer about was a “generator option.” He told me only Toy Haulers had a generator option. He thought it was because the Toy Haulers had an onboard gasoline tank that could be used to power the generator. Using the meager LP supply won’t give enough runtime capacity for a quality setup.

I miss the onboard generator my slide-in pickup camper had. Just push the button to start the generator without any power hookup hassles. The many advantages of an onboard generator are obvious to most RVers.

Like Torch, I opted for a pair of Yamaha EF2000iS generators because, at about 50 lb. each when fueled, they are light enough to move around and big enough to power one AC. I only need to run one of the pair to watch TV, charge the RV battery, run the furnace (overnight) and even power the microwave, which accounts for almost all of my generator needs. I store mine in the 5-th wheeler’s basement safe and sound while out of the weather when not in use; I find this another plus. I considered a Yamaha EF3000iSEB because of its electric start but it ends up weighing about 175 lb. when fueled, just too much for me to manage over the long term.

The external generators are much cheaper than the onboard generators too but they are a hassle to operate when compared to an onboard generator with its transfer switches and push-button starting from inside the RV.

You can find really cheap generators that are really loud. I believe the Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are the best choice but there are modestly priced inverter generators that may be just a little too small to power the 15,000 BTU AC. A pair of Honda or Yamaha generators hooked in parallel work just fine.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator