Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Girard Tankless not working

Hi there!

So, I am actually out of state away from the RV, but the significant other is fit to be tied! No hot water. This is a 2011 Wildcat Sterling with the first generation tank-less hot water heater.

The propane tank is full; the propane is working because the stove will light. While I was on the phone, the hot water was turned on, and I heard the WH kick on. I then heard it cut off after maybe 30 seconds to a minute and it did not come back on. I assume the sound I heard and normally hear is the blower. The diagnostic led light was not blinking nor was it on.

The breakers appeared to all be fine according to the significant other. I do not know if there is a fuse associated with the hot water heater or not... our panel does not have anything labeled for the HW heater.

Our RV is in Colorado... current temperature is 34 degrees... no hot water and no RV park shower to take advantage of... and Girard service is closed. ANY help is MOST appreciated!!!!!
natimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #2

Ok, so after being left alone for a while, the hot water is now working. If anyone has any thoughts to shed some light on what may have contributed to it not working there for a bit... or shutting itself down... I welcome the input. But, at least it is working as of now. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

Last week we took our 2013 Wildcat 312BHX on a hunting trip to western Colorado. We also have the Girard tankless system that would not work during extremely cold conditions. During the day once it warmed up, it worked fine. At night or early morning, the pump would run when all water was turned off, though it ran at lower pressure. I was worried about a freeze in the line that burst causing the pump to run. However, I couldn't find any leaks and as soon as it warmed up outside the pump worked normally, as did the WH. All I can figure is there is a freeze perhaps in the tankless system since it isn't insulated, but nothing burst. Is there a built in shut off when freezing starts to occur? Very curious and frustrated about this, as we live in Colorado and plan to do winter camping.
scroses40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroses40 View Post
Last week we took our 2013 Wildcat 312BHX on a hunting trip to western Colorado. We also have the Girard tankless system that would not work during extremely cold conditions. During the day once it warmed up, it worked fine. At night or early morning, the pump would run when all water was turned off, though it ran at lower pressure. I was worried about a freeze in the line that burst causing the pump to run. However, I couldn't find any leaks and as soon as it warmed up outside the pump worked normally, as did the WH. All I can figure is there is a freeze perhaps in the tankless system since it isn't insulated, but nothing burst. Is there a built in shut off when freezing starts to occur? Very curious and frustrated about this, as we live in Colorado and plan to do winter camping.

It sounds like your WUD (winter use device) on the Girard was activating to keep the water in the system from freezing. Check your owners manual on how this part the of tankless system works.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

I just got off the phone with Girard and thought I'd post another follow up. I can't address the winter use device issues. Mine has a little black sensor that is supposed to handle winter issues, but I haven't researched it. All I can say is that during the coldest temperatures last weekend (14 degrees), no hot water issues were experienced. I wasn't here though... so I'm not sure when the hot water was used during the morning/day/night.

On the note of my original problem... it happened again today. Luckily I was able to call Girard during business hours and we were able to troubleshoot the problem. There is a little white sensor toward the top, front of the unit... sitting just to the left of the exhaust. It has gone out. I was able to test it by disconnecting the pink and orange wires from the sensor, and using a jumper to connect the two wires together while the hot water faucet was opened and the blower was on. Bingo. While waiting for the new sensor to be delivered, I am able to use the jumper to connect the two wires when I need hot water. Once the immediate need for hot water has passed, the two wires must be disconnected in order for the burner to shut off. I am also turning the unit power switch off until hot water is needed until the repair is complete. That way, when the hot water is accidentally used at the kitchen sink out of habit... we aren't causing the blower to come on unnecessarily.

The tech at Girard was very helpful and was spot on with his diagnosis of the problem!!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Carroll&Anne

We have the Girard system in our 2012 wildcat Sterling Edition and it has never worked right, in process now having dealer change it out to either 2 generation Girard or 10 gal tank. I have talked with quite a few others who has had there 1st gen. Girard replaced.
carroll Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #7

Had the Girard and it never worked right. Had it replaced with regular tank type after it caught on fire.
johnthecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #8

my tankless system worked for 3 trips since new then stopped working, took to dealer they said fuse but I looked everywhere and could not find it even had them try to locate it with no luck (the guy who fixed was off work)

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Carroll&Anne

Still having problems with this Girard thankless hot water.we're currently at Beaver Dam Campground in La. And still can't get this system to work allnthe time.when it does light it sounds like a jack hammer and water will be very hot and then turn cold, the water pressure here is on the low side.I called my a RV dealer and was told Girard wants to run test to se what they think is wrong.Why want they admit they have a problem? This is the 2nd Forest River we have owned in the last 18 months the 1st was a Flagstaff and the side cracked on it after having it just less than a year.Not sure I would ever buy another Forest River
carroll Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #10

I was skeptical when we first bought our Sterling about our Girad tankless WH, but we've been using it about a year now and have to say we love it! We have discovered if the water pressure is low, the water tends to be very hot and if we are in a cold climate, the water tends to run colder. We tried filling our fresh water tank and using tank water when we showered. This remedy seems to work for us.
on vacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater