Old 04-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
How often are you adding grease to the bearings? They are the same tapered roller bearings used in a car. The bearings on a car usually go 50,000 miles plus before needing to be cleaned and re-greased. If they are properly packed with grease during service there is no need to regularly add more grease.
YEP, how often do you repack the wheel bearings on your car or truck?

Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
YEP, how often do you repack the wheel bearings on your car or truck?
totally different bearing with better quality...not apples to apples comparison.

Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #23

Sez who? They are the same, probably been so for over 50 years
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #24
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
i see you never found a bad bearing on your first manual repack and grease leaking on your brakes. Yeah, that never happens on these axles.

You can be cute all you want with you opinion, but I've been there done that and will hand pack now.

There is no substitute for hand packing wheel bearings. Period.

With that said, for those who don't have a clue when or how to do that procedure, the EZ-Lube axle can be an alternative to doing nothing at all.

Yes, if not done correctly and if the sun and the moon don't align when adding lube, you can push grease past the rear seal and get it on the brake components but I would rather see that happen than spin a bearing with no grease in it for 1000's of miles. A burned up bearing and axle hub is going to be way more costly than cleaning and replacing a few brake components.

I think some folks also confuse EZ-Lube axles with Bearing Buddies.

They are not the same and while both have some of the same thought process going for them, (adding grease to the bearings without taking the hub apart) they are really meant to accomplish different outcomes.

I've seen folks add Bearing Buddies to camping trailer axles. They really are not designed for campers. They were originally designed for axles subjected to water intrusion.

EZ-Lube axles are meant to add grease to the hub and bearings without pushing grease past the rear seal and onto the brakes and backing plate.

Bearing Buddies ARE IN FACT designed to push grease (and water) from the hub, displacing any water/foreign material from the bearings after being submerged at places like the boat ramp.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #25

I will share a little trick when packing bearings. Put the grease in a sandwich bag or quart size zip lock. Put the bearing in the bag and knead the grease into the bearings, While working the grease and forcing the air out, you hands are cleaner and no dirt gets into the bearings. You can keep them in the bag until they are installed.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #26

Good tip. I also keep an extra set of bearing, races, seals, already greased and in a ziplock. After having a failure, I believe this to be as necessary as a spare tire.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #27

Would something like this work? It comes in 5 and 6 lug configurations and it locks on tight with a twist of your hand. I had them on my last trailer and they never came off unless I took them off. You could use these instead of the cone you currently have.

Versa-Lok Trailer Hub Cover - 6 Lug - Dicor TAC655-CC - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

Bruce
Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There is no substitute for hand packing wheel bearings. Period.

With that said, for those who don't have a clue when or how to do that procedure, the EZ-Lube axle can be an alternative to doing nothing at all.

Yes, if not done correctly and if the sun and the moon don't align when adding lube, you can push grease past the rear seal and get it on the brake components but I would rather see that happen than spin a bearing with no grease in it for 1000's of miles. A burned up bearing and axle hub is going to be way more costly than cleaning and replacing a few brake components.

I think some folks also confuse EZ-Lube axles with Bearing Buddies.

They are not the same and while both have some of the same thought process going for them, (adding grease to the bearings without taking the hub apart) they are really meant to accomplish different outcomes.

I've seen folks add Bearing Buddies to camping trailer axles. They really are not designed for campers. They were originally designed for axles subjected to water intrusion.

EZ-Lube axles are meant to add grease to the hub and bearings without pushing grease past the rear seal and onto the brakes and backing plate.

Bearing Buddies ARE IN FACT designed to push grease (and water) from the hub, displacing any water/foreign material from the bearings after being submerged at places like the boat ramp.

I beg to differ on the hand packing!
I have this do dad and have used it since I bought after high school 25 years ago.
Less mess , less work and never had a failure.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Good tip. I also keep an extra set of bearing, races, seals, already greased and in a ziplock. After having a failure, I believe this to be as necessary as a spare tire.
We carry extra bearings, races and grease as well. Never thought about having them pre-greased. Great idea!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #30

Turbs, I'm more of a McGiver type of guy. For as often as I would use your device, it would not be worth it to me. With the plastic bag sealed, the grease has no place else to go but into the bearings. I, too, have never had a bearing failure. Clean grease into the bag, bearing out of the wrapping directly into the bag and knead away. Grease the race, then position the bearing without ever touching the bearings. No device to clean up-no dirt/dust in the bearings.

Let's just say that either method works. It hard to argue with success.