Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
dannyabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
How often are you adding grease to the bearings? They are the same tapered roller bearings used in a car. The bearings on a car usually go 50,000 miles plus before needing to be cleaned and re-greased. If they are properly packed with grease during service there is no need to regularly add more grease.
YEP, how often do you repack the wheel bearings on your car or truck?
__________________

__________________
Danny & Darlene
2002 Silverado 1500HD
2014 Rockwood 2703WS 'Emerald Pkg'
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Learjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
YEP, how often do you repack the wheel bearings on your car or truck?
totally different bearing with better quality...not apples to apples comparison.
__________________

__________________
-2017 Ram Cummins, Aisin DRW 3.73, 4x4
-2015 Wildcat 317RL
-B&W Companion , MorRyde pinbox
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
dannyabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 480
Sez who? They are the same, probably been so for over 50 years
__________________
Danny & Darlene
2002 Silverado 1500HD
2014 Rockwood 2703WS 'Emerald Pkg'
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #24
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 4,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
i see you never found a bad bearing on your first manual repack and grease leaking on your brakes. Yeah, that never happens on these axles.

You can be cute all you want with you opinion, but I've been there done that and will hand pack now.

There is no substitute for hand packing wheel bearings. Period.

With that said, for those who don't have a clue when or how to do that procedure, the EZ-Lube axle can be an alternative to doing nothing at all.

Yes, if not done correctly and if the sun and the moon don't align when adding lube, you can push grease past the rear seal and get it on the brake components but I would rather see that happen than spin a bearing with no grease in it for 1000's of miles. A burned up bearing and axle hub is going to be way more costly than cleaning and replacing a few brake components.

I think some folks also confuse EZ-Lube axles with Bearing Buddies.

They are not the same and while both have some of the same thought process going for them, (adding grease to the bearings without taking the hub apart) they are really meant to accomplish different outcomes.

I've seen folks add Bearing Buddies to camping trailer axles. They really are not designed for campers. They were originally designed for axles subjected to water intrusion.

EZ-Lube axles are meant to add grease to the hub and bearings without pushing grease past the rear seal and onto the brakes and backing plate.

Bearing Buddies ARE IN FACT designed to push grease (and water) from the hub, displacing any water/foreign material from the bearings after being submerged at places like the boat ramp.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 791
I will share a little trick when packing bearings. Put the grease in a sandwich bag or quart size zip lock. Put the bearing in the bag and knead the grease into the bearings, While working the grease and forcing the air out, you hands are cleaner and no dirt gets into the bearings. You can keep them in the bag until they are installed.
__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 266
Good tip. I also keep an extra set of bearing, races, seals, already greased and in a ziplock. After having a failure, I believe this to be as necessary as a spare tire.
__________________
2013 F150, EBoost,4x4,CC, MaxTow
2015 Surveyor 245BHS

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,241
Would something like this work? It comes in 5 and 6 lug configurations and it locks on tight with a twist of your hand. I had them on my last trailer and they never came off unless I took them off. You could use these instead of the cone you currently have.

Versa-Lok Trailer Hub Cover - 6 Lug - Dicor TAC655-CC - Wheel Accessories - Camping World

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There is no substitute for hand packing wheel bearings. Period.



With that said, for those who don't have a clue when or how to do that procedure, the EZ-Lube axle can be an alternative to doing nothing at all.



Yes, if not done correctly and if the sun and the moon don't align when adding lube, you can push grease past the rear seal and get it on the brake components but I would rather see that happen than spin a bearing with no grease in it for 1000's of miles. A burned up bearing and axle hub is going to be way more costly than cleaning and replacing a few brake components.



I think some folks also confuse EZ-Lube axles with Bearing Buddies.



They are not the same and while both have some of the same thought process going for them, (adding grease to the bearings without taking the hub apart) they are really meant to accomplish different outcomes.



I've seen folks add Bearing Buddies to camping trailer axles. They really are not designed for campers. They were originally designed for axles subjected to water intrusion.



EZ-Lube axles are meant to add grease to the hub and bearings without pushing grease past the rear seal and onto the brakes and backing plate.



Bearing Buddies ARE IN FACT designed to push grease (and water) from the hub, displacing any water/foreign material from the bearings after being submerged at places like the boat ramp.


I beg to differ on the hand packing!
I have this do dad and have used it since I bought after high school 25 years ago.
Less mess , less work and never had a failure.

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Good tip. I also keep an extra set of bearing, races, seals, already greased and in a ziplock. After having a failure, I believe this to be as necessary as a spare tire.
We carry extra bearings, races and grease as well. Never thought about having them pre-greased. Great idea!
__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 791
Turbs, I'm more of a McGiver type of guy. For as often as I would use your device, it would not be worth it to me. With the plastic bag sealed, the grease has no place else to go but into the bearings. I, too, have never had a bearing failure. Clean grease into the bag, bearing out of the wrapping directly into the bag and knead away. Grease the race, then position the bearing without ever touching the bearings. No device to clean up-no dirt/dust in the bearings.

Let's just say that either method works. It hard to argue with success.
__________________

__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.