Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

We are looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel from our Zinger TT. Right now, we have two that we're looking at (because the dealer is giving us pretty good deals on them both). The two choices are the Wildcat 344QBOK and the Salem Hemisphere 356QBQ with an outside kitchen. We have 3 boys, so having the bunks is a must. We did a pro/con list and still can't decide. Both of the units have "good" and "bad"... any recommendations?????

ewally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
I hope your tow vehicle will handle these safely...

Here's what I see at the differences...
1. Hemisphere's kids' bathroom has a tub
2. It appears that the Hemisphere has more storage in the kids' bedroom
3. There appears to be just a little counter space in the Hemisphere - the island in the Wildcat is it for that model but that eliminates ALL of the floor space and makes it seem tight on all sides
4. Hemisphere awning is 3ft wider
5. There is not a window at the kitchen sink in the Hemisphere, but there is a corner cabinet
6. Hemisphere has carpet in the kids' bedroom
7. The TV is better located in the living room of the Wildcat than it is in the Hemisphere but people going to the fridge will interfere!
8. The shower in the Wildcat is larger (it looks like a tub but it is now)
9. ? What did I miss ?

2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
From my experience get the one that has the biggest and most windows.
Have fun!
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Well, from what we noticed, the Wildcat has some nicer "features" that are in the quality ... the Salem has more "tech" stuff... if that makes sense... the Wildcat has plush carpeting with really nice padding, etc. The Salem has a remote that controls everything in the Camper. It's all automatic and has the central vacuum ... I know the "fun" stuff probably won't last as long as the structural stuff, so that's our problem. The Salem has 1 inch walls and the Wildcat has 2 inch. The dealer keeps saying the Wildcat is a "better" camper... but we still don't know!
ewally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Check out the Prime Time Crusader 360BHS at Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers, fifth wheels and toy haulers. It has a very large "kids room" w/bath and outside kitchen. Great company with outstanding customer service.
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
My view of automatic stuff is that it is simply more to go wrong in the future. The the question is can the function be over ridden and still used or is there the cost to repair.

I am pleased with our Wildcat 353LS choice, the floor plan gives up what we wanted with out extra bells and whistles we didn't. And I say this as our new Wildcat is in for some warranty adjustments.
2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
I have the WildCat 344QB I guess there's an OK attached to the end because we do have the outside kitchen with the fridge, grill, and stove. We looked at both of these units before buying and chose the WildCat because we felt it offered more user friendly features instead of gadgets and tech stuff. We've got about 20 nights of camping in last year and there's seems to be plenty of space. The island in the kitchen is nice for the extra counter top space and doesn't seem to be in the way.

About this time last year we went camping and had 6 adults and 3 toddlers with us. One of the days the wind was blowing so hard and it was cold enough outside to where it hurt to be out there and all 9 of us stayed in the coach watching movies and listening to the radio and visiting. Before we realized it the day had almost passed and no one was uncomfortable from being in there that long. The couch and dinnet benches are comfortable.

The bunk room has plenty of storage for us. The bunk above the outside kitchen we use for storage for the pack and play sleeper for the one yr old along with toy for the kids to play with. Between the little dresser and the stand-up closet there is enough storage for a 4 day supply of clothing diapers shoes and anything else that you would think of for toddlers. The closet and drawers in the master bedroom had more than enough storage for me and my wife. The shelves I the closet were used to store bath towels and wash rags, so we didn't even store personal items on them.

The pass thru storage is awesome. I have 2 3x5 folding tables in there, folding charcoal grill, several larger toy trucks for the kiddos, a playskol water table for the kids, 10 camping chairs, 2 5x10 rugs, all of my power cords for the coach plus a 20 ft extension for the main power cord, a 50 ft and 25 ft water hose, a 3 gallon fish fried with burner stand and a few other odd and end itemsitems

Bottom line is there's plenty of storage !
2011 F350 Dually 13,300 GVWR 3.73 ratio
2013 WildCat 344QB with outside kitchen
jumbo131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
JAYCO Representative
Originally Posted by ewally View Post
Both of the units have "good" and "bad"... any recommendations?????
Obviously, I'm biased.

One of the main differences between these units (that wasn't mentioned) that I've heard customers discuss is overall length. The 344QB is almost 4' shorter (and under 40'), so it fits in more camp sites.

Feel free to send me a Private Message if you need more information!

Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote