Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #31

As bad as it is, to have a repair shop right there is a HUGE plus! They could easily move your unit, very carefully, over to their shop.
But if you have a friend's brother that is willing to have a peek, by all means get that second opinion.
I know it is a terrible situation, but it is just another one of those bumps in the road we always seem to be faced with from time to time. As long as we have our health and happiness, a few bucks to fix the camper doesn't seem so important.
Be well, and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Don't criticize yourselves for not being aware of this issue, as 99% of fifth wheel owners don't know either.
What makes me angry is that if a car had a similar structural weakness that resulted in catastrophic failures, the government would be all over the manufacturer to issue a recall. It is unbelievable, and unacceptable, that RV owners are treated like second class citizens. Does our safety not matter?

Have you had any luck locating an RV repair guy?
Actually the second class citizen thing is self inflicted because most people don't report the failure. this is a plated vehicle and is supposed to conform to all safety regulations just like autos, if failures are not reported it is impossible to build a history of failures to construct a recall.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Actually the second class citizen thing is self inflicted because most people don't report the failure. this is a plated vehicle and is supposed to conform to all safety regulations just like autos, if failures are not reported it is impossible to build a history of failures to construct a recall.
How many people report defects in their cars? Very few, if any.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
Please forgive me as I don't know all the terms and parts of my 5th wheel despite owning it for 7 years.

On Friday as we were pulling our camper (2007? Wildcat) to our favorite campground where we have a site booked till the middle of August we noticed that the camper was getting closer and closer to the bed of our truck (F350 dually). When we finally pulled into our site our camper was actually rubbing on the truck and we have a nice big gouge in the rubber of our bed protector. We got it all set and unhitched and OMG! what we found was horrifying! Keep in mind we had our 3 children (ages 4, 10, and 15 and our 2 dogs) with us. I am so glad we are all here alive and well as this could have been bad.

Without further ado here's the pic (someone will have to help me out with terminology) of the hitch box?:

You can see the metal has sheered right off. Now what? Who is responsible for this? We can't even pull this out of our site now. I will contact Forest River tomorrow (Monday) and pray that they can help us.
Can you tell me if you use a tripod on your kingpin?
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenZ View Post
Even if they did or did not, that would have nothing to do with this failure.
This is metal fatigue, caused by years of flexing from the countless bumps in the road. As the frame members are very light, they eventually fail. That wasn't the case when the frames were made heavier in years past.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #36

SCARY! glad everyone was save... for all you experts would something like this be covered under your auto/rv insurance policy?
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjpm2 View Post
SCARY! glad everyone was save... for all you experts would something like this be covered under your auto/rv insurance policy?
The damage to the truck might be covered, but the camper wouldn't be. The insurance company would say it is normal "wear and tear", and probably blame the owner for not keeping an eye on their camper.
One of these days, one of these failures is going to result in someone getting killed, and only then will the manufacturer be held accountable. Until then, they get off scott free.
I would be ashamed if I was the engineer who designed this frame.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #38

Quote:
is the direct result of negligent engineering.
Pretty brash accusation without any investigation. Bad welds, by WELDERS, not engineers, happen all the time.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenZ View Post

We have never used a tripod.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #40

Ok, Thanks. Sorry about all of the issues you're having. I know it must really suck. Just glad everyone is ok, no one got hurt.

glen...

2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote