Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #81

Well no celebrating just yet. Lippert contacted me again this morning and said after further review they realized that this in not a warranty issue. They will send someone out to retrieve a piece of metal from the frame and have it tested at their facility. If the metal is found to be not to spec they will cover the repair. If the metal is found to be spec then they will still repair but we will have to foot the bill.

WTH!!!

I gave the guy on the phone a good piece of my mind and told him I don't care if it's to spec or not. The walls should fall off my freaking camper before the frame fails! I am so stinking mad right now.
zactayaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #82
Denver, CO

don"t blame you. Give them what for. Post on all the forums you can find.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #83
Site Team

You might tell the Lippert people that you are posting what they
do and don't do on the Forest River Forums which have 45,000 members.
That's a lot of good or bad will depending on which way they go with this
issue.....
LOTs of folks are very interested in how they handle this.

Good Luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
You might tell the Lippert people that you are posting what they
do and don't do on the Forest River Forums which have 45,000 members.
That's a lot of good or bad will depending on which way they go with this
issue.....
LOTs of folks are very interested in how they handle this.

Good Luck!
I will have to do that!

I did tell the guy on the phone this morning that I was aware that this is a very common problem and he said he was not aware of that and that this is the first he's heard of it. So either he's lying out his a** or he's a new employee. I told him to go ahead and google "pinbox failure" and be prepared to be astonished.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #85
TeresaInCAL

Good for you to stick up for yourself! Letting them know you "know what's up" is a very good thing.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #86
JAYCO Representative

I've sent you a PM with contact information for Wildcat's service department. Please send me your complete contact info, VIN#, and Wildcat dealer's name when you can!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
Well no celebrating just yet. Lippert contacted me again this morning and said after further review they realized that this in not a warranty issue. They will send someone out to retrieve a piece of metal from the frame and have it tested at their facility. If the metal is found to be not to spec they will cover the repair. If the metal is found to be spec then they will still repair but we will have to foot the bill.

WTH!!!

I gave the guy on the phone a good piece of my mind and told him I don't care if it's to spec or not. The walls should fall off my freaking camper before the frame fails! I am so stinking mad right now.

Looks like we gave the frame manufacturer more credit than they deserved.
Sorry to hear that.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
I've sent you a PM with contact information for Wildcat's service department. Please send me your complete contact info, VIN#, and Wildcat dealer's name when you can!
Thanks, got your PM. Will PM you back later in the week with the info. We are back home for a few days and I'll need to get the VIN# off the camper. We'll be heading back down to the campground Thursday night.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #89

Keep us posted. I am sure Forest River has more pull then any of us and will take care of you. But even if metal is to spec how do they know it wasn't damaged during manufacturing or welding?
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #90
Canadian Member

Have a look at this site. Looks like Transport Canada has had a lot of complaints and they are investigating "failures of the chassis frame at the pin box" on both Forest River and Keystone 5th wheel trailers.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...ctive-1239.htm
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Have a look at this site. Looks like Transport Canada has had a lot of complaints and they are investigating "failures of the chassis frame at the pin box" on both Forest River and Keystone 5th wheel trailers.

Active Defect Investigations - Transport Canada
Thank you for the link! I will be forwarding it to my contact at Lippert!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #92
Canadian Member

I also found this thread on the Keystone forum...

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7252

A Google search can reveal lots of info on this topic. You'll have to decide for yourself what to believe.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #93
DDC

Quote:

I keep saying that this must be reported it's the only way to get them forced into recalls for inferior materials and design flaws.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #94

Quote:

And the manufacturer says they have never heard of this problem before?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #95

HELP!

They are coming out Aug. 6th to repair it and they just emailed me that the cap and filon and lower front wall will need to be removed before they get there. Can anyone tell me exactly what these pieces are (I think I know but wanted to confirm). I haven't spoken to my husband yet. He was a mechanic for years. Is this something he and a buddy could do? If not I will have to make arrangements for someone to do this asap.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #96

NHTSA needs to be notified. there are way to many of these failures happening to let them go without notice! a frame is not a wear item, but a part of the vehicle that should last more than 7 years even on rough roads! how many miles are on the RV anyway? I`m guessing not that many.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #97
TeresaInCAL

That seems strange to me that they expect you to start the repair job.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
HELP!

They are coming out Aug. 6th to repair it and they just emailed me that the cap and filon and lower front wall will need to be removed before they get there. Can anyone tell me exactly what these pieces are (I think I know but wanted to confirm). I haven't spoken to my husband yet. He was a mechanic for years. Is this something he and a buddy could do? If not I will have to make arrangements for someone to do this asap.
I do not think anyone answered your question. The CAP is the whole front where it says WILDCAT. They will also need that piece under the unit where your pin box attaches. I do not know why you would have to do it? Sorry to say that the cap will not be an easy removal. Good luck, so sorry to hear of your problems.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
That seems strange to me that they expect you to start the repair job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I do not think anyone answered your question. The CAP is the whole front where it says WILDCAT. They will also need that piece under the unit where your pin box attaches. I do not know why you would have to do it? Sorry to say that the cap will not be an easy removal. Good luck, so sorry to hear of your problems.......
The reason is they are the frame manufacturer. They will only touch the frame. That's it. So of course now we'll have to foot the bill for someone to come out and remove all this stuff.

Do you know how long it would take for someone to remove the cap and what not? I'll be calling places today to get someone here to do it, but I'll need to coordinate with Lippert coming out cause I can't have my unit all open and exposed to the elements. We are basically living in it for the summer. This is not going to be fun. I'm a nervous wreck about the whole thing.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

The first choice would have been taking it to a local dealer, have them remove the cap, overhang and front wall, have Lippert do the repairs and the dealer re-install the fiberglass...if you're living in it, that won't be possible. It's important that the components are removed properly or re-installation will be a real chore, especially if anything got damaged.

If it has to be done at your site, I'd look for some mobile RV service to do the removal/re-install and have them tarp it up 'til the frame work is done. This way any problems with leaks, etc after the re-install would be covered by the RV service.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote