Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #101

Ok, the campground we are staying at has a full service RV repair shop. I just spoke with them and they came to my site to inspect what needs to be done. They said they'd do it. However they charge $75 an hour. He wasn't sure exactly how long it would take to disassemble and re-assemble but said we were probably looking at at total of maybe 8 hours. Does that sound about right? We'll be here when they are doing it so I'll be watching the clock for sure. Then I'll be sending Lippert the bill. This is just crazy!
zactayaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #102
TeresaInCAL

Seriously, you guys will need to go live somewhere else while all of this repair is going on. Is there any rental cabins, or other rental places nearby you guys could go for a few days? Lippert needs to pay for it too. I usually try to work with people with as much respect as possible, but this is extreme, and if you need to pitch a fit then do it.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #103

Living some where else is not an option. We can't afford to pay to stay some where while this is being done. We are already paying for the site to stay here. If we go home then we won't be here to supervise. We just figured the upstairs/bunk area will be off limits to the kids while it's being fixed and everyone will sleep in the livingroom and master bedroom. My husband did say he could set up a tent if need be and we'd just have to rough it the old fashioned way.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
Ok, the campground we are staying at has a full service RV repair shop. I just spoke with them and they came to my site to inspect what needs to be done. They said they'd do it. However they charge $75 an hour. He wasn't sure exactly how long it would take to disassemble and re-assemble but said we were probably looking at at total of maybe 8 hours. Does that sound about right? We'll be here when they are doing it so I'll be watching the clock for sure. Then I'll be sending Lippert the bill. This is just crazy!
I would think that would be pretty close guess being they do not know what they will run into. It not going to be easy. After all the work taking it apart they have to re install and seal everything again. Are they going to do in the shop or at the site? Might be a little faster at the shop but not by that much. I know it's hard right now to see anything positive, but trust me you are lucky you are where you are. When they take that cap off be there with your camera so you can document everything. I mean from the time they start and you can see the damage to the repair work when finished and the re install. Good luck to you and your family. You have made it this far already so just a little longer and your nightmare will be over.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I would think that would be pretty close guess being they do not know what they will run into. It not going to be easy. After all the work taking it apart they have to re install and seal everything again. Are they going to do in the shop or at the site? Might be a little faster at the shop but not by that much. I know it's hard right now to see anything positive, but trust me you are lucky you are where you are. When they take that cap off be there with your camera so you can document everything. I mean from the time they start and you can see the damage to the repair work when finished and the re install. Good luck to you and your family. You have made it this far already so just a little longer and your nightmare will be over.......
They have to repair it on site. As of right now the camper can not be moved. And like I said we are basically living in it for the summer so putting it in the shop wouldn't be an option even if it could be moved.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #106

Let the fun begin! They are half way done removing everything from the front of the camper. I've been taking pics and will try and post them later today or tonight when I'm on my computer. Front beam is severely bowed and of course more torn metal. We are all just in complete shock (yes even the guys doing the work for us) in how thin the metal is on the beam. We are talking like 1/8 inch thick. Seriously not too much thicker then a few pieces of paper. Unbelievable.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #107

As promised here are the pics:

Water damage we were completely unaware of:

Torn metal on main beam inside shot:

How thin the metal of the beam is:

Torn metal on front of main beam outside shot:

Other side of inside of main beam:

Severe bowing of that main beam (that's supposed to be a straight line parallel to the ground) :

And my poor camper sitting all naked (they'll be taking down that front wall on Monday and it's currently all covered in rubber and sealed shut incase it rains before then):
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #108

Wow! Scary!

That is VERY scary! I have owned a fifth wheel for about ten years, now, and have never given it a second thought as to look for a bad weld on the pin box! You can bet I will be checking mine periodically, now. I'm glad you and your family are OK. Thanks so much for sharing with every body.
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #109

Take pics! that is a terrible product! Forest River should be hanging there heads looking at this on the internet! that is just so blatently unsafe and cheap it`s scarry! shame on Forest River on this one. they should know what materials and how the welding is done on a frame that is going to pull there name around on!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Take pics! that is a terrible product! Forest River should be hanging there heads looking at this on the internet! that is just so blatently unsafe and cheap it`s scarry! shame on Forest River on this one. they should know what materials and how the welding is done on a frame that is going to pull there name around on!

X2
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #111

The sad part is Lippert makes the frames that most of our RVs are built on and the materials used just look to lite. Just glad no one was hurt, ( this time).

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #112

Well Lippert is here! They've already taken out the old beam and have set the new beam in place. Not much longer and we'll be back in business! I'll be posting more pics later today. I only hope the pics I've taken can do justice to how messed up eveything was once the main beam was removed and you could see the damage it had caused underneath our bunk house. We may have to have the platform the bottom bunk/jacknife sofa sits on replaced. The guy from Lippert that is doing the repairs said "it looks like we'll be eating this one". You better believe it!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #113
daydreaming about camping

is the replacement material the same as the failed material?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
is the replacement material the same as the failed material?
No, it's at least 3 times thicker. I have pics I'll post later.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #115

Quote:

wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #116
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I would be greatly surprised if the original were 1/8" web that the new one iss 3/8" web, but could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #117

Is there any method to check for excessive movement that might indicate a problem without removing the panel?

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #118

It's finished! And boy is our frame beefed up now! Not only did we get a super chunky main beam, we got crazy thick supports and double gussets!

Here are some pics from today:

Sparks were flying!

Damage to the floor under the bunk house:

New beam waiting to be installed:

Supports:

Gussets:

Nice straight new beam:
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #119
Denver, CO

Wow. At least it is fixed although I wonder about all the unfixed ones out there.

Kinda scary
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #120

With water still getting up there I would consider getting that part of the frame Rhino-lined before the bottom cover goes up.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote