Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
With water still getting up there I would consider getting that part of the frame Rhino-lined before the bottom cover goes up.
The people who took it apart and will be putting it back together (tomorrow) found where the water was coming in at and will be fixing it.
zactayaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #122
Steve & Phyllis

Really glad this is about over for you. Hope the rest of your stay is wonderful and problem free.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
Really glad this is about over for you. Hope the rest of your stay is wonderful and problem free.
Thanks. We left the campground last night for a few days to take care of some things at home. We are heading back Friday night and I can't wait to see it all back together so I can give a great big sigh of relief and enjoy our last 10 days at the campground, hopefully stress free before pulling it home.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #124
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post

Thanks. We left the campground last night for a few days to take care of some things at home. We are heading back Friday night and I can't wait to see it all back together so I can give a great big sigh of relief and enjoy our last 10 days at the campground, hopefully stress free before pulling it home.
One thing about it is a lot of us will view our problems we are having as "not so bad"! At least I can tow mine to the dealer for repair. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I have one more item on my checklist now.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #125
Newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post

One thing about it is a lot of us will view our problems we are having as "not so bad"! At least I can tow mine to the dealer for repair. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I have one more item on my checklist now.
Nice job Lippert!!! Great of them to come through like that!!!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0999 View Post
Nice job Lippert!!! Great of them to come through like that!!!!!
Well it's still not over yet. Lippert is still saying they may not cover the repairs that their tech did or that OVR did if the metal does not test bad.

Here's the email I just sent them:

"I'm sorry but the damage that was uncovered underneath my camper after everything was removed was unexcusable for any company. Whether the metal tests bad or not the truth of the mater is your frame failed. Your company should be thanking God my family and any unsuspecting family driving near us was not killed from this. This could have been catastrophic at the expense of my entire family. You better believe that if the repairs your tech did (who by the way was in awe at the damage done and even commented that "we'll be eating this one") and the cost we have incurred to have the camper taken apart, the underneath fixed, and put back together are not taken care of by Lippert we will be seeing Lippert in a court of law. This is absolutely unfathomable that Lippert would even consider not covering this. I sure hope your company does the right thing."
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #127

Partly to play "devil's advocate" here:
We don't know if Wildcat or Lippert is at fault here. It could be that FR requested a frame with specs for a much lighter RV than the frame was used in. If Lippert delivered the frame that was spec'd, then FR would need to be the target of your suit. On the other hand, if Lippert's design or construction of the frame was insufficient for Wildcat's specs, then Lippert is at fault. I suspect that any suit would have to name both parties so that the facts could be sorted out.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #128

Ok.....Where's the rest of the story?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #129
DDC

Would be nice to know if this was resolved to the OP's pleasure, it would also be nice to know if it was ever reported to the NHSTA.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #130
Plain Old Member

Curious here as well. Would like to see the fix, and Lippert / FR's response.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #131
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
Well it's still not over yet. Lippert is still saying they may not cover the repairs that their tech did or that OVR did if the metal does not test bad.

Here's the email I just sent them:

"I'm sorry but the damage that was uncovered underneath my camper after everything was removed was unexcusable for any company. Whether the metal tests bad or not the truth of the mater is your frame failed. Your company should be thanking God my family and any unsuspecting family driving near us was not killed from this. This could have been catastrophic at the expense of my entire family. You better believe that if the repairs your tech did (who by the way was in awe at the damage done and even commented that "we'll be eating this one") and the cost we have incurred to have the camper taken apart, the underneath fixed, and put back together are not taken care of by Lippert we will be seeing Lippert in a court of law. This is absolutely unfathomable that Lippert would even consider not covering this. I sure hope your company does the right thing."
The part highlighted in red should probably have kicked this straight to Lippert's legal section. Anytime a person even half-heartedly makes a comment about suing/civil/court action, most companies automatically toss the complaint to the lawyers.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear, "The Rest of the Story".

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #132

Same thing just happened to my 2007 Wildcat 35' fifth wheel. Exact same damage on my truck too. Here are a few pics, not very happy, it fell off while I was backing into a campsite. The front frame is in two pieces and the welds are coming apart. The metal is way to light for this. I cant imagine if this came off and it sailed down the highway into a vehicle and killed someone.

rknight111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #133
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

My Wildcat failed the same too this year in January while coming back to NJ from Florida. Lippert jerked me around for weeks this past winter. They had me strip the facia away to view the damage, take pictures of everything, then the female Lippert rep stopped responding to my emails. I really think she felt bad for me but was told to tell me that it wasn't covered. Finally weeks later, an ignorant man emailed me back. His email was so unprofessional that he didn't use proper punctuation and caps. He also claimed that the women had already gave me an answer which she hadn't. So he claimed because my frame is over 2 years old, I'm the second owner, and I welded a hitch on the back my warranty is void. I took pictures of the hitch and the factory lippert sticker that's on it but claimed the coach was never offered with a hitch. I never bothered to post any of this because the women really lead me on having me believe Lippert was going to do what's right, but they didn't.
Now we are in the market for a toy hauler. I ask every sales man the same thing, " Does Lippert make the chassis?" When they say yes I show them the pictures and tell them my story. Unfortunately not too many are surprised.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #134
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

You can see where the cross member sheared. There were also stress cracks on the rear crossmember too. My solution is the second picture. After I straightened the original cross member and rewelded, I used some 2 x 6 x 3/16" tubing and welded in "sister" crossmembers. The thing is rock solid now. In the third picture, you can see I did away with the crappy warped under belly and used polished aluminum diamond plate. I bolted it with 5/16" bolts to tie everything in for lateral rigidity. I later added an airide pinbox and can't be happier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405584884128.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	58341   Click image for larger version

Name:	1405585068747.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	58342   Click image for larger version

Name:	1405585649329.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	58343   Click image for larger version

Name:	1405585780094.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	58344  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #135
Plain Old Member

Nice work CrewDually. Be careful, you might get some customers. I figure if mine ever cracked, I'd be doing it myself as well, even if under warranty. I definitely wouldn't let Lippert touch it again.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #136
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Thanks John. I laughed at Lippert's last email when they offered to contact a fabricator in my area and they will explain to him how to repair it. I screamed at my computer " I AM MY LOCAL FABRICATOR, MORON" . Besides, if you did something wrong in the first place why would I give you another shot.
If you can't tell I have hard feelings against the company.
Oh yeah, did I mention this thing started letting go in South Carolina while enroute back to Jersey trying to beat a snow storm. Not fun.
I will put it out there if someone needs help, guidance, or your in South/Central Jersey and need it repaired, message me.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #137
Plain Old Member

Lippert unfortunately is like many others. "That's the first we've heard of that problem". Never mind the forum, and the thousands of people we communicate with that own the products and have similar experiences. I've visited a huge amount of dealers across the US, and several manufacturers, and I always quiz them on issues like this. I've only got a few honest answers unfortunately. Just the dishonest world we live in.

With Lippert, if they put as much effort into getting it right as they do trying to get out of being responsible, then we might have something. I really admire those small handful of manufacturers that still fab their own frames.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #138

Hey 05Crewdually, we are currently considering having Lippert install one of their hitches at their facility so that we can tow a trailer behind our 2014 Silverback 33RL. We spoke to Lippert and they told us that if they install the hitch, etc. That our warranty will not be voided. Your story is scary and we are curious if Lippert installed your hitch at their facility? Any words of wisdom from anyone about towing behind our fifth wheel will be appreciated. We are aware of towing laws, etc different in each state, just want to know about towing opinions considering the before-mentioned pinbox problems. Thank you!!
valandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #139

PS.the trailer will be under 3,000lbs.
valandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #140
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by valandsheri View Post
Hey 05Crewdually, we are currently considering having Lippert install one of their hitches at their facility so that we can tow a trailer behind our 2014 Silverback 33RL. We spoke to Lippert and they told us that if they install the hitch, etc. That our warranty will not be voided. Your story is scary and we are curious if Lippert installed your hitch at their facility? Any words of wisdom from anyone about towing behind our fifth wheel will be appreciated. We are aware of towing laws, etc different in each state, just want to know about towing opinions considering the before-mentioned pinbox problems. Thank you!!
Lippert (excuse the term) jerked me around for weeks trying to find a way to get out of making the repairs. Majority of the time I was contacted by a woman representative. When she requested a picture of the back of my coach I got suspicious. The final communication I had with Lippert was with a male representative. He was "short" in his responses and his emails were more like a text message from a juvenile.
His final say were 3 reasons why they will not help me. The first and his main reason was that they checked the plans for my coach (yeah right) and it did not reflect a hitch receiver added by them. He also claimed that it was not ever an option, yet I have an original Wildcat brochure that has my coach listed to include the standard 1.25" receiver with an upgraded option to add a 2" receiver. I even sent him a picture of the paint and welds (matching the rest of the frame rails) and a Lippert sticker with a 300 lbs limit.
Second was the coach is over 2 years old.
Third being I'm not the original buyer.
My point to them was they used inferior metal being less than 1/8" wall thickness when it should at very least be 3/16" wall.

My advice to you, get it in writing (signed by a supervisor, someone with accountability) that your 2 year frame warranty will not be void after they add a receiver. I personally wouldn't give them info as to what your using the receiver for or they may use it against you. Many folks use the receiver for a bicycle rack.

As far as towing double, keep it under 65 feet combined, secure the load and check it often. It can get bumpy back there. I tow a 5x10 flatbed with an 850 lbs golf car from NJ to FL without issue. On turns I'm able to sneek a peak at the load. I also view the golf car's shadow on the roadway to reassure it's safe.

Sorry so long! Any other ?'s ask away.