Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

Location: Currently - Clinton, WA. Still taking things to Eastern WA as we empty our S&B.
Holding Tank Drain coupling woes.

I get to visit our 5er, Silver Orca [2013 Wildcat 32 RL], so seldom that I often am hurried when I do visit and forget things.

My check list gets longer, etc.

Weeks ago, we visited and winterized Orca and as a step in that regard we emptied the holding tanks.

Wouldn’t you know that after draining and flushing the black, galley and grey, I thought to use the black tank wash out port. [The name eludes me.]

I had shut both grey tank valves. I connected the hose, turned it on and remembered to let it run for about five minutes shut off the water, continued to let it drain then when it had stopped, I pushed the valve handle in. It started hard then suddenly was very easy. Odd. I pulled it out again, easy, pushed it back in, easy. I disconnected the drain hose, rinsed it out, put it away, went to put the cap back on, the line was still dripping. Odd? Made sure all handles were in all the way. I put the cap on and drove the 16 miles home.

I parked and ran the leveler then walked around the trailer. I noticed water where there should be any, under the cap for the drain.

I laid on the ground to see if I could see how the connection was made from the handles to the actual tank valve, nope the bottom board blocked my view.

I put “? Inspect, Repair, Replace black tank drain valve?”

It will be a couple of months before I get back there.

I have time to plan and prepare.

So, I am asking if anyone knows or can describe how these things are connected. I am guessing that I will have to drop the bottom board or cut an inspection port into it. If I disconnected something it is one issue. If I broke something, another.

Thanks in advance for your clues as to how to proceed.

The good news is that when I bought it, the black tank never showed less than 1/3 capacity even just after freshly dumped. This time after using the tank cleaning system, it reads empty!

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Head Rambler

If all you see is a valve handle you most likely have a cable operated valve. If that's the case, then either the cable broke or the valve stem broke. You'll have to lower the coroplast covering to get to the valve. Since you're not near the RV, your issue is going to be figuring out what length cable you need to get. I'd call the mfg. and see if they will tell you what length cable valves they use, or see if you can find someone with the same unit that's replaced them and see what length they needed.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Location: Currently - Clinton, WA. Still taking things to Eastern WA as we empty our S&B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If all you see is a valve handle you most likely have a cable operated valve. If that's the case, then either the cable broke or the valve stem broke. You'll have to lower the coroplast covering to get to the valve. Since you're not near the RV, your issue is going to be figuring out what length cable you need to get. I'd call the mfg. and see if they will tell you what length cable valves they use, or see if you can find someone with the same unit that's replaced them and see what length they needed.
Pretty much what I was dreading to hear. From the feel of things, i probably snapped the valve stem.

Thank you sir for your quick response.

I need to slow down, look three times, etc.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #4

On my previous trailer from not using very much the ring gaskets would stick to the valve face and when you pulled the valve handle it was hard to pull but after it was real easy come to find out the rubber gasket rolled out and would not seal I had to take the valve apart and put in a new seal. Also on this fiver I had to cut a door in the coroplast cover to repair the cable it was binding they had installed the valve at such a angle that the cable would bind I ended rotating the valve to the next holes and the cable laid in a lot flatter to the valve and now works better than before. Also if you cut a door in the coroplast make sure to only cut three sides and the fourth for a hinge and make sure the door faces back when you go to seal it back up clean the face of the plastic with alcohol and use the black scrim tape they sell if you can't find the tape just use the black Gorilla tape as it works great mine is still holding all these years now.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
On my previous trailer from not using very much the ring gaskets would stick to the valve face and when you pulled the valve handle it was hard to pull but after it was real easy come to find out the rubber gasket rolled out and would not seal I had to take the valve apart and put in a new seal. Also on this fiver I had to cut a door in the coroplast cover to repair the cable it was binding they had installed the valve at such a angle that the cable would bind I ended rotating the valve to the next holes and the cable laid in a lot flatter to the valve and now works better than before. Also if you cut a door in the coroplast make sure to only cut three sides and the fourth for a hinge and make sure the door faces back when you go to seal it back up clean the face of the plastic with alcohol and use the black scrim tape they sell if you can't find the tape just use the black Gorilla tape as it works great mine is still holding all these years now.
Hmm, sounds familiar as far as the last operation is concerned. I will keep,this in mind as I prepare to work on it. Thank you for your help.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

After changing the black cable twice I put in an electric valve. Love it. No more cable issues.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
After changing the black cable twice I put in an electric valve. Love it. No more cable issues.
Source? Amazon or eBay or?...

Never mind, answer is yes and Walmart no significant price differences though.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #8

I used Drainmaster. Try direct or Amazon
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

Black tank valve

I'm full-time and every 2 or 3 dumps I add some calgon bath beads to the black tank to lube it all up....and it does work.

jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank