Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Is your 5th wheel level?

We are nearing the end of a 4-week trip and have been noticing different areas of our 2015 Wildcat 327CK are not level. I'm not talking about the slides (that is another story) but the interior structure of the RV.

If I place a 2 foot level inside the entry door the level indicates, front to back and side to side, a perfectly level surface.

If I check the steps, it shows level side to side. If I check the hallway leading to the bedroom, it is level front to back but off 1/8 bubble side to side. In the bathroom, again level front to back but off more than 1/8 bubble side to side. Strangely, the showerseat indicates level.

It's difficult to check the bedroom because of the carpeting, but in front of the bed the floor seems to have a slightly raised feel when you walk across.

The stationary part of the kitchen counter drops off by more than a bubble side to side and level front to back.

I hate to be a nit-picker...But is this an indication of worse future structural problems, or is this common problem in long multi- slide RV's.
texfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Very common among all manufacturers, with or without slides. Never is a square or level put on a unit during assembly. It's never going to be perfectly square or level. Heck our sidewall in our Forester wasn't square with the floor. I wouldn't worry. If you want to satisfy your curiosity, take a square and a level to a dealer lot. Or, better yet, head over to Indiana and take a factory tour.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Are you certain you are on a 100% flat surface and that all jacks are even? How does it check when on a flat surface hooked to the truck with the jacks up? My large slide floor is so curved I wouldn't notice if the main floor was caved in. My dealer and Wildcat are working on a solution.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

FWIW, check your house at several different locations as well as all the walls. I would imagine you'll find the same problems.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

At 37'8" and only having 1700+lbs of CCC with a GVW of only 12,200lbs it very well could be that the frame is not rigid enough. That's a pretty light 5'er for almost 38'.
The tradeoff for weight is rigidity. Most 38' 5'ers are in the 14-16,000lb range.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #6

All good points, thanks for the input.

Maybe I'm just looking for something close to perfection and it does not exist.
texfran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel