Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Jensen TV's

Probably a dumb question, but do the Jensen TV systems in my Wildcat (Sterling edition) capable of running off a solar system? I am thinking about installing a system but not sure if it would run a TV. Thanks in advance for any help.
geomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Always Learning

I'll start with- I don't know a ton about this stuff, but here's my understanding/best guess..:

I doubt that they are 12v TVs. My guess is that you would need to use an inverter to power the TV from the battery/batteries in your camper. The solar would be used to replenish the power used from the batteries.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

I think they can be 12 VDC but I doubt a simple solar set up can produce enough current to operate the TV(s),
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'll start with- I don't know a ton about this stuff, but here's my understanding/best guess..: I doubt that they are 12v TVs. My guess is that you would need to use an inverter to power the TV from the battery/batteries in your camper. The solar would be used to replenish the power used from the batteries.
x2
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Seems to me we were told we could purchase a 12v adapter for the Jensen TV my dealer put in our Flagstaff. It would run off the cigarette plug in the entertainment center.
So, I'd have to agree with ependydad - a solar array would replenish the battery(ies), which would power the TV.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

geomag

Thank you (evryone) who replied. geo
geomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Are you thinking of connecting the output from a solar panel directly to the TV? Probably not a good idea… if a cloud passes over the panel the output will drop, etc. Connected through a controller to the Battery system should work. I do have the Jensen 12V television in my Solera. Uses only 6 watt draw - very low.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Denver, CO

My 27in 110volt Jensen with the Jensen 12 volt DVD player draws about 7amps of DC power through my 800 watt inverter. SO a couple of hours of TV should be no problem with a modest sized solar array. YOU do need to have a good battery and inverter and charge controller to do it, but should not be a problem.

You should study up on RV power systems before doing this and you can do it pretty simply or more elaborate depending on what your needs are.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Team

as far as i know, you'd need either a 12v adapter to plug into a lighter outlet, IF it has one or you'd need to install an inverter that would run off the batteries WHICH then you'd use a solar system to recharge them.
either way, a solar system would only be used to recharge the batteries for either method.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomag View Post
Probably a dumb question, but do the Jensen TV systems in my Wildcat (Sterling edition) capable of running off a solar system? I am thinking about installing a system but not sure if it would run a TV. Thanks in advance for any help.
The Jensen TV that came with your Wildcat Sterling Edition is NOT a 12V set. However, it is fully possible, depending on your solar setup, to run a television! With solar, you'll need to customize your add-on system to your specific needs and carefully "manage your expectations" of what solar + RV can do. TVs are not really a problem -- and the Jensen set, like many other flat panel HDTVs, draws less power than TVs of old.

So, capable: YES. Possible: YES. Just be sure to scale up your solar kit (including battery bank and invertor) to your needs!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote