Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Unhappy Landing gear broken on one side

Brand new 337fb ... Camping on way home from ohio to colorado. It's the 3rd use of the landing gear and I can't unhitch as the landing gear won't go down on the non motor side.

so I noticed the coupler rods which connect the motor side to the non motor side has three bolt pins in it and the one closest to the motor has broken off.

So I got a ride into town from the camp host and purchased new hardware.

Replaced and it broke again immediately after trying to extend the landing gear.

So I have removed the non motor side landing gear leg and inspected it but can't see what's wrong. I cannot manually move the gear box using a steel punch as a manual hand crank. I don't see any obstructions or stripped threads. Just two gears, lots of grease .

I'm stuck at the branson MO campground (hitched up to tow vehicle) and don't know what's to do next. I'm so mad that my brand new camper has this problem. Not sure what do do next to salvage my trip and get this camper working.

Any advice appreciated, I'm really feeling desperate for help. I don't know who makes the landing gear or how to get it fixed.

The dealer had reported an issues with the landing gear when it was delivered last weekend ..., but they apparently fixed it as it worked on our pdi on Tuesday. Now three uses later it's broken again. I suspect it never was fixed correctly?

Scott
Taybrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #2

Taybrynn, did you call the dealership you bought it from and ask them what to do? Did you call any dealerships in Branson to see if they'd cover the warranty repair work?
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

No I have not called yet. I looked up dealers and nearest is in Springfield about an hour away. I was wondering if a rv tech or the free rv service included with first year would be a better first step as I cannot do anything without driving the rig there and on a Friday I'm feeling pretty limited in my options . This is such a horrible way to begin ownership of a brand new fifth wheel .
Old 06-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #4

You said you picked it up in Ohio - did you buy from RV Wholesalers? If so, CALL THEM. They have a nationwide repair network.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Thank again. No I bought from jeff couch's rv nation. There is coach-net rv technical &roadside assistance included (via forest river) for one first year of ownership.

Like a I said, I don't know the maker of the landing gear as the parts have no part numbers on them.

It looks like a simple issue of the gearbox on the land gear foot not doing its job (jammed). I even saw a "follower leg rebuild kit" which appear the involve the parts I am looking at on the defective landing gear leg post. Should I be able to hand turn the gears? Seems like I should be able to , but cannot.

Camp host also gave me a card for a local rv mobile repair guy but so don't want to break the bank unless I need to.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #6

According to the FR website components list, <http://www.forestriverinc.com/Components/default.aspx?src=rvcustserv>

your 337FB may have one of two type of jacks:
Lippert (866) 524-7821 Lippert Components, Inc. --or--
Equilizer (800) 846-9659 Equalizer Systems | A Days Company | Official Site
But I would hope that the dealer, or the coach-net service, would be able to help you with this new a rig.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #7

Thumbs down

Well after many calls and messages -- jeff couch rv nation was absolutely worthless in every way. They kept sending me to someone else and nobody did a thing to help. Finally got a person to lookup a dealer for me and they didn't even get Me that info. fAil. I Should have gone to RvW because the service at couches in person and on th phone was non existant and they didn't fix a critical issue that ruined my entire camping trip home. I knew it would be poor because they are volume dealer but in the end they were horrible.

Nobody locally in Springfield mo could even service us or get parts in less than 5 days ... so Branson trip scrapped. Now the landing gear motor doesn't work either. Must have broke ex route. Fuses look fine. Worked when we left today but doesn't work tonight.
This "made in China" landing gear is downright shameful !! Used it 3-4 times and it's busted. Argh!!! How does garbage like this get passed quality control?!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Just got a phone call from jeff couch himself. Assures me they will get us fixed up on Monday after we get home. I sure hope so. Were trying to salvage the best roadtrip home possible when you can't unhitch. My wife wrote an email about the horrible service and experience thus far .... he responded.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #9

Glad to hear someone finally got back to you! Hopefully you have no further problems after it's fixed.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

Thanks, I hope not. The camper is so nice otherwise.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

I know that it is of little help now, but I feel that had you called the Forest River 1-800 number you would have had the matter taken care of pretty quickly. Yes, that is of no help on a weekend I understand. The Forest River/Coach Net folks may have been able to get you some assistance also.

Push come to shove most RV Parks in Branson will have the number of a local mobile service company that will make calls to your site. Yes, it would be an out of pocket expense. But, maybe, just maybe in talking to Forest River you could have been reimbursed.

It does kind of bite when you buy something new and have a few problem right from the start. But, once you get the bugs worked out it will be well worth it. And look at the memories your making.....LOL, OK maybe not.

Happy Camping,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #12

Thanks for the great advise.

I was able to get the problem solved today, remarkably quick ... so in the end, fix seemed to be very simple and covered under warranty and took only 1/2 hour to fix.

I will say I called some local dealers and got the -- "I can see you on July 16th at the earliest" ... but finally found a place which told me to start driving (to their location) NOW! ... thank goodness ...

Big lesson learned, my original fix attempt was basically correct (change the shear pin).

What I did NOT know, which the technician instantly seemed to know ... was that people tend to retract the landing gear too much (not sure I did, but its possible) ... and when that happens ... either the motor clicks (as its supposed to) or it jams the gearbox, breaks a shear and sometimes blows the fuse on the motor. (thats what happened). The technician acted as if he must see this all the time, as replacing the fuse and shear ... then walking the landing gear down a bit manually ... was a very automatic process for him.

The technician explained that there used to be a marker (or line) on the upper landing gear posts indicating it should not be retracted above that point. He told me to make my own line, which I have since done with some electrical tape around the post ... indicating to not retract above that line. He also gave me some tips on using the landing gear more effectively.

I suspect that when I put in the new shear pin that I hit retract (vs. extend) and it just busted immediately. Nobody had warned me of this issue/possibility, but I'm quick learner and now I know its something to look out for. In fact in my PDI I was told to retract the rear levelers till the motor stopped. I'm not sure that so smart now because of what happened with the front landing gear.

So long story short, my front landing gear is fine -- a good mobile tech could have fixed it, forest river support may have been a good idea also. However, the weather in Branson was so lousy that in retrospect I don't mind leaving as my dog (who goes nuts in thunder) was just not handling the strong storms well.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #13

Glad it was all taken care of in short order. The really nice thing about this is that it is easier for me to sit back in my Wildcat and arm chair quarterback the play than to be the one taking the hit...LOL!!!

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #14

I have been camping for almost 50 years now and the times my wife and I remember best are not the trips that went off without a hitch. It's the ones that left us stranded for ten hours on the side of a desolate road in eastern Colorado, or the time the wiring burned up in our motor home. Or the blowouts, or the exhaust system falling off of the generator and dragging down the highway until being flagged down. Pulling our fifth wheel to the top of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison empty only to find out they had no place to fill up with water. I could go on but it's the times like this my wife and I remember best and talk about and laugh about. Today when we have problems camping we try to remember that it won't be long and they will be yet another cherished memory that we share together.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #15

Glad to hear it was an easy fix after all, Taybrynn!

Comfun1 - x2 on that!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taybrynn View Post
Thanks for the great advise.

I was able to get the problem solved today, remarkably quick ... so in the end, fix seemed to be very simple and covered under warranty and took only 1/2 hour to fix.

I will say I called some local dealers and got the -- "I can see you on July 16th at the earliest" ... but finally found a place which told me to start driving (to their location) NOW! ... thank goodness ...

Big lesson learned, my original fix attempt was basically correct (change the shear pin).

What I did NOT know, which the technician instantly seemed to know ... was that people tend to retract the landing gear too much (not sure I did, but its possible) ... and when that happens ... either the motor clicks (as its supposed to) or it jams the gearbox, breaks a shear and sometimes blows the fuse on the motor. (thats what happened). The technician acted as if he must see this all the time, as replacing the fuse and shear ... then walking the landing gear down a bit manually ... was a very automatic process for him.

The technician explained that there used to be a marker (or line) on the upper landing gear posts indicating it should not be retracted above that point. He told me to make my own line, which I have since done with some electrical tape around the post ... indicating to not retract above that line. He also gave me some tips on using the landing gear more effectively.

I suspect that when I put in the new shear pin that I hit retract (vs. extend) and it just busted immediately. Nobody had warned me of this issue/possibility, but I'm quick learner and now I know its something to look out for. In fact in my PDI I was told to retract the rear levelers till the motor stopped. I'm not sure that so smart now because of what happened with the front landing gear.

So long story short, my front landing gear is fine -- a good mobile tech could have fixed it, forest river support may have been a good idea also. However, the weather in Branson was so lousy that in retrospect I don't mind leaving as my dog (who goes nuts in thunder) was just not handling the strong storms well.
Just out of curiosity what was the tips on "using the landing gear more effectively" ?

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #17

Comfun, I agree ... The more adversity endured the more my memory banks seems to be recording In high def. my best memories of camping in Boy Scouts always seem to be the trips where we suffered the most.

One of the tips he told me was to first partially extend the upper landing gear (with motor) ... Then extend the lower landing gear (release pin, bring pad close to ground) extension second ... So a wider range of adjustability for leveling would be there. Like most, I was probably thinking of first lowering the lower gear first, to say within an inch of the ground, then extending. So his advise on extend upper first, then lower gear, then extend more makes sense (but it's not the fastest or least battery usage).
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #18

Our dealer must have know all the problem because when we did PDI he took spray paint and made a line the we should retract to. He told us put the motorized stage down 60% and the finial landing gear, pin, down 40%. We haven't had any situations yet. Now if we could avoid small tight streets with no way out......
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #19

....oh we jumped a curve and ended up with a few broke dishes! Lesson learned....look before you drive down an unknown street.
Camping, it's an adventure!!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #20

Taybrynn,

Glad it all worked out for you (and welcome to the Forums BTW )

A tip we got from our dealer when we did our PDI.

Use a combination of Stabilizer jack pads (Amazon.com: Camco 44595 Stabilizer Jack Pad - 4 pack: Automotive) and a piece of 4x4 on your landing gear.

Put the pad down (even on a cement pad) then the 4x4. Drop your landing gear by pulling the cotter pin. Do the rest of your unhitch routine and you will be good to go!

Hitchup procedure: dock with your hitchand retract Landing Gear just enough to seat the KingPin (when you can move the 4x4 out from the landing gear). Stop retracting & Raise the Landing Gear by pulling the cotter pin and fully retracting the Landing Gear. DO NOT retract the Landing Gear any further - you should be good to go!

Hope this helps!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote