Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #1

Landing Gear not retracting

I see a lot of post talking about the switch going bad. The extend works great. The retract, when pushed, must be making contact due to being able to hear a clicking at the top of the motor (where the wires connect from the switch.) Does this go bad often? I'm not much on electrical and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
steveandbarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #2

I just replaced a switch on a friends 5th wheel like yours it went down fine with no load on the motor but when asked to go up it would not carry the amperage the motor needed. I don't know your rig but this switch was not hard to replace.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

There is a separate button located at the motor that will also operate the landing gears. The retract will not work from there either. Does this sound like the remote (outside) switch? Thanks again
steveandbarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarbara View Post
There is a separate button located at the motor that will also operate the landing gears. The retract will not work from there either. Does this sound like the remote (outside) switch? Thanks again
Same as the other answer, I don't know your exact rig, but from what you said, since it is going down, it is not the gearing or it wouldn't move in either direction.
Since the switch is about 10 bucks at any auto parts store, I would do that first. Will probably fix your problem.
If it doesn't fix the problem, then it is a motor issue IMHO and will need to replace it.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

30A is a lot to ask of the cheezy contacts on thise switches. The work around is a bit costly, but worth every penny of it. A heavy duty reversing relay can easily handle 50 or more amps and then all you need is a 5 dollar toggle switch to operate things. As a side benefit it is relatively simple to add a up limit switch to prevent over travel.
BTW, to see if the switch is in deed bad simply reverse the two leads near the motor. What is down will then be up and what is up woll be down.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 PM   #6

if you don't know electricity, an expensive electric motor is not something to learn on. get some hands-on help to teach you.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #7

and in the meantime make sure you have a hand crank. Manual is not necessarily fun but it works. If that is all it took to go camping throw me the crank!