Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Dismember

I just replaced all of my interior lights with LEDs. I think it probably ran about 80 bucks or so since it was about 3.75-4.00 $/light after shipping if I recall correctly. I chose the bright white lights because I prefer them to a yellower color. I am pretty happy with the results. My install is mostly 36 LED pads but I do have a couple of 48 LED pads and two omni-directional bulbs for some sconce fixtures. The 36 LED pads use no more than 20% the power of the bulbs they replaced but I haven't done an extensive science project to get a more precise answer. I wish I had a camping trip coming up so I could get some real world experience with them

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #22

I agree that LED lights for select lights is a nice choice. My wife hates the lights. We have settled by leaving the reading lights and the light over the dining table as coincident factory bulbs. I would like to see better batteries and a choice of one or two as an option. What came with ours was a light weight and we replaced it with a larger heavy weight and it made a great improvement along with the select LED's.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #23

power drain is less with the LED bulbs. You can run all lights for a long time and not even make a dent in the battery charge.

Ill have to look on Ebay since all ive seen for price is 18 or 20 dollars for each bulb and apparently there is adifferent between directional and non directional and the make up of the bulbs.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #24

I can't speak intelligently on this topic yet, but I intend on starting on the exterior of my 2008 wildcat loft. Is there a cross reference table somewhere that I can use to start the exterior? And to answer the intent of this thread; when its time to replace my current 5th wheel LEDs WILL be a deciding factor both exterior and interior.
emoaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #25

I currently have the warm white ( beige hue ) in my camper- Prior to that I tried the Cool white-which was very stark ( light blue hue ) IMO warm white is the way to go.

Please see link below

Super Bright LEDs - Cool and Warm White LED Comparison
bhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #26

IMHO, it's not essential that one has LEDs.

However, here are some thoughts you might consider.

Standard incandescing lights draw much more power, are hot, provide a different color temp, are generally omnidirectional, less costly, easier to acquire, less sensitive to voltage difference (over and under), and more resistive to static crashes (lightning). Heavier wire is necessary, vs LED wiring.

LEDs are costly in comparison, are not hot, come in natural, cool white, and bright white as well as blue, yellow, red, orange, etc. They, as a rule, more directional, and most often are supplied with bases that fit into conventional sockets.

So, if your RV doesn't come with them, it doesn't matter. Simply purchase these from a supplier, replace the original bulb, keep that one on hand as a replacement in case.

Do I like LEDs: answer- absolutely. We've had them over the last 10 years, when I had to make the array myself, adding current-limiting resistors and manufacturing the housing.

If you camp without AC power for longer periods and don't want to start a generator, the LED will keep you lit for a long period. A 12w standard light on a 12v system uses 1 amp per hour. Therefore, 4 standard lights for 8 hours (night) means you've consumed 4 x 8 = ? amps. P=IE (power in watts = current x voltage)

Since your battery has X total amp hours, and the maximum discharge is 50%, even though you should consider no less than 75 ah remaining, then, how many hours can you use 4 lights?

If the ambient temp is hot, such as the southern comfort zone, then, your standard lights will increase your temp, too.

Because LED technology is much better than 10 years ago, you'll not need to make your own lighting. These lights cover more area, are brighter than those last decade, etc. And, the LED will last longer, certainly a thing of the future.

Because we camp in all conditions, the LED is our first choice, even in flashlights.

But, if you are always camping with AC in colder weather, have these already, -- so what?

Enjoy,

Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #27

The main downfall to LED lights is the fact that they produce very little heat. This allows snow buildup on tail lights if pulling your unit through snowy conditions which would affect very few people in the RV industry. Likely affect more people in the motorhome area. Other than that, everything is positive and I would like to see LED lights standard equipment for all lighting, work the cost into the price of the unit.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
JAYCO Representative

There's some fantastic info in this thread and great input for Forest River. I appreciate it very much!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
The main downfall to LED lights is the fact that they produce very little heat. This allows snow buildup on tail lights if pulling your unit through snowy conditions which would affect very few people in the RV industry.
I wouldn't consider their lack of heat production a LED "downfall!" Extra heat is wasted energy, brother! That's an asset. If the snow is building up on your taillights, build a shield for them or stop every once in a while to clear them. I've been replacing them on our club's model RR layout as much as able, and the transformers are running cooler. The electric bill has been slowly coming down, too.
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #30
JAYCO Representative

We're looking at more samples again today. The input here has been great!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #31

Bought 4 for the reading lites over the couch and the bed. Installed 2 over the couch. Disregarding the color, they are about half as bright as the lights they replaced. Can still read (barely) by the ones over the couch, but don't know if could by the ones over the bed as they are further away. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #32

LED's differ greatly in quality- Cree and Luxeon are some of the higher end bulbs.
bhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #33

Like others on the forum, I am interested in converting the running lights on my RV from incandescent bulbs to LED’s. After some online research, I have found that replacement LED bulbs for the standard 194 sockets range from around ten dollars to less than two dollars apiece.

From those who have made the conversion, I would appreciate learning what type of LED replacement bulbs you installed in your running lights, who was the supplier, and what has been your experience in using them. I may be wrong, but I am not convinced that a ten-dollar LED bulb is necessarily five times better than a two-dollar one – particularly when variable profit margins are factored in.

Any pertinent information would be greatly appreciated.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
JAYCO Representative

I'm presenting my findings here to my General Manager tomorrow afternoon. Please give me any other input you've got -- I really appreciate all the posts in this thread. Great to be able to use your real world thoughts and experiences to shape future products!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #35

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Hi Chris

We are in the process of upgrading the interior lighting to LED's. This is a fairly expensive endeavor considering we were replacing fully functional incandescent bulbs, but it is a good use of funds to have ample lighting on our dry camping outings without worry of gobbling up the power. Before LED's we flipped on 2 lights in the camper and flipped on and off lights as we moved throughout the camper. We did this to to conserve precious battery power when dry camping. Add a cold night and the need for additional draw by the forced air furnace and the LED's have provided a margin of comfort.

Build a "dry campers" package with LED's, a good power monitoring system (battery meter), Dual 6 Volt batteries and solar and you've got a product with SIZZLE!

Thanks for asking, Chris.

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #36

Hi Chris,
If MFGs offered upgrade kits for existing campers as a kit and at a reasonable price (would help your buying power as well) they'd sell like crazy!
Cliff
CliffP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #37

I'd purchase an upgrade kit for my 2012 Salem.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #38

Just curious, why led lights for the exterior (running) lights? They are powered by the tow vehicle. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #39

Appear brighter and last longer than regular bulbs when it comes to bumps and wear/tear serviceability.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #40

Saving power is only one of the benefits of LEDs. They are also brighter and their life is much longer. Replacement LEDs for running lights are made up of several individual LEDs. If one of the individual LEDs fails the rest of the lamp still works. Watch Semi's on the road and you'll see one here and there with lamps that have individual LEDs burned out but the rest still light up.
CliffP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extralite, led, sterling, wildcat, light