Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
I just replaced all of my interior lights with LEDs. I think it probably ran about 80 bucks or so since it was about 3.75-4.00 $/light after shipping if I recall correctly. I chose the bright white lights because I prefer them to a yellower color. I am pretty happy with the results. My install is mostly 36 LED pads but I do have a couple of 48 LED pads and two omni-directional bulbs for some sconce fixtures. The 36 LED pads use no more than 20% the power of the bulbs they replaced but I haven't done an extensive science project to get a more precise answer. I wish I had a camping trip coming up so I could get some real world experience with them

2012 Wildwood 24TBSS
2x80W Solar Panels, Morningstar MPPT Controller, Xantrex LinkLite Battery Monitor, Xantrex ProWatt 2000 Inverter

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
I agree that LED lights for select lights is a nice choice. My wife hates the lights. We have settled by leaving the reading lights and the light over the dining table as coincident factory bulbs. I would like to see better batteries and a choice of one or two as an option. What came with ours was a light weight and we replaced it with a larger heavy weight and it made a great improvement along with the select LED's.

2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
power drain is less with the LED bulbs. You can run all lights for a long time and not even make a dent in the battery charge.

Ill have to look on Ebay since all ive seen for price is 18 or 20 dollars for each bulb and apparently there is adifferent between directional and non directional and the make up of the bulbs.
2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #24
I can't speak intelligently on this topic yet, but I intend on starting on the exterior of my 2008 wildcat loft. Is there a cross reference table somewhere that I can use to start the exterior? And to answer the intent of this thread; when its time to replace my current 5th wheel LEDs WILL be a deciding factor both exterior and interior.
emoaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #25
I currently have the warm white ( beige hue ) in my camper- Prior to that I tried the Cool white-which was very stark ( light blue hue ) IMO warm white is the way to go.

Please see link below

Super Bright LEDs - Cool and Warm White LED Comparison
bhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
IMHO, it's not essential that one has LEDs.

However, here are some thoughts you might consider.

Standard incandescing lights draw much more power, are hot, provide a different color temp, are generally omnidirectional, less costly, easier to acquire, less sensitive to voltage difference (over and under), and more resistive to static crashes (lightning). Heavier wire is necessary, vs LED wiring.

LEDs are costly in comparison, are not hot, come in natural, cool white, and bright white as well as blue, yellow, red, orange, etc. They, as a rule, more directional, and most often are supplied with bases that fit into conventional sockets.

So, if your RV doesn't come with them, it doesn't matter. Simply purchase these from a supplier, replace the original bulb, keep that one on hand as a replacement in case.

Do I like LEDs: answer- absolutely. We've had them over the last 10 years, when I had to make the array myself, adding current-limiting resistors and manufacturing the housing.

If you camp without AC power for longer periods and don't want to start a generator, the LED will keep you lit for a long period. A 12w standard light on a 12v system uses 1 amp per hour. Therefore, 4 standard lights for 8 hours (night) means you've consumed 4 x 8 = ? amps. P=IE (power in watts = current x voltage)

Since your battery has X total amp hours, and the maximum discharge is 50%, even though you should consider no less than 75 ah remaining, then, how many hours can you use 4 lights?

If the ambient temp is hot, such as the southern comfort zone, then, your standard lights will increase your temp, too.

Because LED technology is much better than 10 years ago, you'll not need to make your own lighting. These lights cover more area, are brighter than those last decade, etc. And, the LED will last longer, certainly a thing of the future.

Because we camp in all conditions, the LED is our first choice, even in flashlights.

But, if you are always camping with AC in colder weather, have these already, -- so what?

traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #27
The main downfall to LED lights is the fact that they produce very little heat. This allows snow buildup on tail lights if pulling your unit through snowy conditions which would affect very few people in the RV industry. Likely affect more people in the motorhome area. Other than that, everything is positive and I would like to see LED lights standard equipment for all lighting, work the cost into the price of the unit.
Todd & Sheila and kids
Rouleau, Saskatchewan
2012 Surveyor SV-305
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
JAYCO Representative
There's some fantastic info in this thread and great input for Forest River. I appreciate it very much!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #29
Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
The main downfall to LED lights is the fact that they produce very little heat. This allows snow buildup on tail lights if pulling your unit through snowy conditions which would affect very few people in the RV industry.
I wouldn't consider their lack of heat production a LED "downfall!" Extra heat is wasted energy, brother! That's an asset. If the snow is building up on your taillights, build a shield for them or stop every once in a while to clear them. I've been replacing them on our club's model RR layout as much as able, and the transformers are running cooler. The electric bill has been slowly coming down, too.
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #30
JAYCO Representative
We're looking at more samples again today. The input here has been great!

Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

extralite, led, sterling, wildcat, light