Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #31

Bought 4 for the reading lites over the couch and the bed. Installed 2 over the couch. Disregarding the color, they are about half as bright as the lights they replaced. Can still read (barely) by the ones over the couch, but don't know if could by the ones over the bed as they are further away. Wayne

Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #32

LED's differ greatly in quality- Cree and Luxeon are some of the higher end bulbs.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #33

Like others on the forum, I am interested in converting the running lights on my RV from incandescent bulbs to LED’s. After some online research, I have found that replacement LED bulbs for the standard 194 sockets range from around ten dollars to less than two dollars apiece.

From those who have made the conversion, I would appreciate learning what type of LED replacement bulbs you installed in your running lights, who was the supplier, and what has been your experience in using them. I may be wrong, but I am not convinced that a ten-dollar LED bulb is necessarily five times better than a two-dollar one – particularly when variable profit margins are factored in.

Any pertinent information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
JAYCO Representative

I'm presenting my findings here to my General Manager tomorrow afternoon. Please give me any other input you've got -- I really appreciate all the posts in this thread. Great to be able to use your real world thoughts and experiences to shape future products!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #35

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Hi Chris

We are in the process of upgrading the interior lighting to LED's. This is a fairly expensive endeavor considering we were replacing fully functional incandescent bulbs, but it is a good use of funds to have ample lighting on our dry camping outings without worry of gobbling up the power. Before LED's we flipped on 2 lights in the camper and flipped on and off lights as we moved throughout the camper. We did this to to conserve precious battery power when dry camping. Add a cold night and the need for additional draw by the forced air furnace and the LED's have provided a margin of comfort.

Build a "dry campers" package with LED's, a good power monitoring system (battery meter), Dual 6 Volt batteries and solar and you've got a product with SIZZLE!

Thanks for asking, Chris.

Darren
Old 11-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #36

Hi Chris,
If MFGs offered upgrade kits for existing campers as a kit and at a reasonable price (would help your buying power as well) they'd sell like crazy!
Cliff
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #37

I'd purchase an upgrade kit for my 2012 Salem.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #38

Just curious, why led lights for the exterior (running) lights? They are powered by the tow vehicle. Wayne
Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #39

Appear brighter and last longer than regular bulbs when it comes to bumps and wear/tear serviceability.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #40

Saving power is only one of the benefits of LEDs. They are also brighter and their life is much longer. Replacement LEDs for running lights are made up of several individual LEDs. If one of the individual LEDs fails the rest of the lamp still works. Watch Semi's on the road and you'll see one here and there with lamps that have individual LEDs burned out but the rest still light up.

Tags
extralite, led, sterling, wildcat, light