Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Leveling on a Slope

Well I got my 'new to me' 2007 Wildcat 30RLBS home today.

Proud of my trusty 2000 F350 7.3 pulling it up some steep hills along the way.

I am fortunate to have a nice RV parking spot at my home, however, it does have a slope.
Never had a problem with my 26 ft. 5th wheel getting it level on the slope with the front power level legs and blocking securely etc..
Now, with the extra length of my Wildcat the power leveling legs are further down the slope and I run out of length with the extension on the legs that I need to lift....and yes, I do lower the adjustable leg extensions first.
I need to extend an additional approximate 1/2 of the extension of the leveling legs to achieve level.
Question: would it be ok to place a supported beam across the frame work just behind the leveling legs and lower the weight onto that, then re-block the legs to a new starting point and raise the required amount ??
I do hope I made my problem understandable enough for someone to help me.
Is it possible that I am raising the front end too high to achieve level due to the slope?...re the suspension?
Thank you to anybody willing to help.
Need the Wildcat to be level so I can put the slides out.
Also... I'm a newbie to this great site but not to rv'ing.
Dennis
Vancouver Island B.C.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I would review a set of railroad ties and X-chocks.

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

A picture would be helpful.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

You can't level the site?
Would it be worth it in the long run to set it up for the longer unit?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

I will try and post a picture of the site today.
I could possibly try a level out the site a little more but it has hard rock under the gravel at the high end and comes off the street at the entrance.
I know I could not get it very close to level but I could raise the area where the landing gear touches down .

Question: After I have lowered the landing gear to max.... if I were to support the pin box vertically with an 8x8 post and secure it well with bracing to prevent slipping..... could I then raise the gear and place secure raised blocking and then lower the gear to gain the extra height I need to level ? Knowing that all 4 wheels have been well blocked to prevent rolling.

Also... I think if I do that I would place a well supported 'short' ramp under the forward wheels to raise the front axel a little...would that help ?

Thanks all for the replies so far.
Dennis
(got to work on my signature)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I will try and post a picture of the site today.
I could possibly try a level out the site a little more but it has hard rock under the gravel at the high end and comes off the street at the entrance.
I know I could not get it very close to level but I could raise the area where the landing gear touches down .

Question: After I have lowered the landing gear to max.... if I were to support the pin box vertically with an 8x8 post and secure it well with bracing to prevent slipping..... could I then raise the gear and place secure raised blocking and then lower the gear to gain the extra height I need to level ? Knowing that all 4 wheels have been well blocked to prevent rolling.

Also... I think if I do that I would place a well supported 'short' ramp under the forward wheels to raise the front axel a little...would that help ?

Thanks all for the replies so far.
Dennis
(got to work on my signature)

That should work. Be sure to take pics to post.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Here's a light hearted solution...!

Name:   cartoon553.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  79.9 KB
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

Now that is Funny!!

Thankfully....My problem isn't quite that bad.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
TGR

Raising a rolling load on a sloped parking area is very hazardous.

I might consider doing something unorthodox in an emergency one-time situation but I wouldn’t jack the unit higher and higher to overcome the parking area’s slope as a way of storing my 5th wheel. Using an 8”x8” post to support the pin during this jacking up is too dangerous to consider, as outside forces would add non-vertical loads that could cause things to move and the bracing to fail.

Like the cartoon in the earlier post so aptly shows, unless you go to great lengths to assemble a stable cribbing under your jacks, leaving your 5th wheel teetering high off the ground isn’t safe. For cribbing to be safe for any length of time, it needs to be built level with a large footprint and safe from kids or vandalism. Even parking on a steep slope, while secured only with chocks that can be kicked away, is unsafe. All this is compounded when additional forces, e.g., wind, extending the slide and walking around inside the 5th wheel, are added to the mix. Imagine the added safety issues you’ll face if it were windy and raining when you need to take your rig back down.

Leveling the parking space will save you a lot of time and be much safer than overcoming the slope by jacking your 5th wheel beyond its normal range.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

I am in the same boat as you. I am moving to a larger camper and will have the same problem.

My solution is going to be to pour concrete pads for me to back onto when I back it into my yard. I plan on raising the tires up about 8" at the end. You might need more height. The pad will be level so the back of course will be higher than the front. Might need a board in front of it to get up depending on how the level works out. I think something along these lines will work better for you over the long run.

I am basically just building a thick sidewalk to park on . The pad(s) I pour will be about 16" wide X 30" long X 16" thick. Just two large cinder blocks. lol. Should not be too bad to dig out and block out for the concrete pour.

Vin.

Tags
leveling