Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #1

Long-Term Living in Wildcat Maxx

Hi,
I'm getting ready to move into my Coachmen 246RKS (because living in my RV in a park is more than half the cost of an apartment here!) but am thinking I'd like to have something a little larger for full time. I've narrowed it down to the 28RKX trailer and the 262RGX 5er. I can pull the trailer with my current truck (2030 payload, 11,500 towing capacity with my F-150) but not the 5er. The dealer I talked to today said they would haul and park the 5er for me in the place I'm moving if that's what I decide. There is no rule about the tow vehicle has to tow the RV in this particular park.

I did some searching on the forum but didn't find anything about long-term living in the Maxx. I'm not worried about the little problems that all new RV's have, I'm curious about how the inside and outside hold up with more than weekend camping, or after several seasons of use. The fit and finish in the two I looked at today looked pretty good. A few crooked handles installed here and there but nothing that made me want to run away.

Any info is appreciated. I really, really like both floor plans and they are similar in length. The 5er has a little better bedroom but I think I would be more comfortable if I could move it myself if I had to. Upgrading my truck is not an option at this time.

Thank you in advance,
Laura
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

While neither are designed for full time use, either will do ok if you're able to keep up the maintenance that will result from living in them full time. In reality it won't be much more than weekenders see.

I agree with you that it would be better to get a unit that you can move if you have to if you don't want to upgrade the TV. If you like both units then get the one you can tow.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
Hi,
I'm getting ready to move into my Coachmen 246RKS (because living in my RV in a park is more than half the cost of an apartment here!) but am thinking I'd like to have something a little larger for full time.
Why don't you try living full time in your current rig for a bit?

Living in it full time will give you some perspective on what you need in a full-time rig.

Not being able to move it yourself really limits your options. You might not find the rv park suitable, find the location inconvenient, have noisy neighbors, etc. Once you're satisfied with the location, then look for a bigger rig.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

Since you're sorta living permant on a site with it it really would be the same as someone towing one all over the USA for several years. Towing takes a toll on them. Just sitting on the jacks really does nothing to the longevity of a trailer.
All the appliances are only going to last so long. They're pretty much the same as any other RV except for maybe a residential fridge. You're basically just opening and closing doors inside and then running the furnace and hot water heater. The furnace and the HW heater should last for years. You'll probably be using elec heat mostly so the furnace won't really get that much use.
I see no reason why setting up almost any decent mid price range RV would work for full timing. Like I mentioned above it's the towing 5-8000 miles a year that takes a toll on things.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #5

How cold are your winters? We were living in our TT last fall until our water supply hose froze up. the trailer pipes were ok, enclosed underside, but that doesn't help the supply. We had lots of condensation on the windows, some dripping down the walls under the windows. Double pane RV windows are rare.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #6

Maybe a better quality, larger bumper pull trailer would be a better choice. If you had to you could move it with your truck. Less expensive, fewer steps.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for their ideas. I'm going to just stay in the Coachmen for now. The site I got was not quite as long as they said it was so anything longer than my current trailer won't work.

I'll be using a heated water hose and also fill the water tank just in case I do need to disconnect the water if its really freezing out. The water spigot is buried so no extra pipes above ground. I will also use the furnace in the mornings to take the chill off and circulate air around the tanks. I don't know if it will help but its worth a try.

I have about 3 more years on an extended warranty I have that covers all the major appliances so no worries there. If anything breaks, I can stay with my Mom while it is being repaired.

I am a little concerned about condensation inside the trailer but will get the dehumidifier tub from Walmart I usually put inside the trailer in storage and see if that helps a little.

Thanks again!
Laura
Old 10-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #8

We own a 2016 28RKX MAXX and have "lived in it" for 3-4 months during the past couple of years as we wintered near Dallas. We find the MAXX floor plan great and the trailer has been very comfortable with a minimum of problems.
As with most mid-range RV's that do not have heated floors, the floors do stay chilly in 20's-30's degree weather. A heated hose is a must and and we put some heated tape around our low point drains as they froze up the first night it reached the high teens. After that fix, all was fine, the heated tanks worked great and the furnace keep us nice and warm.
The 28RKX is a terrific floor plan, we really enjoy this unit! We pull it with a 2015 Ram Laramie with 4 corner air suspension & Hemi. We have a Blue Ox WDH and the Ram handles the trailer just fine, even going through the mountains as we travel to and from Iowa to Seattle, Wa.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
As with most mid-range RV's that do not have heated floors, the floors do stay chilly in 20's-30's degree weather.
A throw run/runner helps a lot to keep your feet warm. One night of stepping onto the cold floor set me to the store for a runner.

Get yourself a small space heater with cool to the touch surface and a temperature control that will turn in on and off and put it somewhere safe. In our trailer and mh, that's on the kitchen counter away from anything combustible. That will take care of the cool nights for really cold nights you might need the furnace.

Tags
cat, wildcat