Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #101

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it seems most units with outdoor kitchens don't have a way of powering the refrigerator without shore power.
I would love a way of powering it while towing.
I can see a few ways this could be done...
- 110v/12v fridge (maybe not possible without doing an RV ammonia fridge?)
- provide an inverter to power the fridge (and potentially more!)

I would even settle for some pre-wiring that would easily facilitate installing my own inverter. Perhaps a 110V sub-panel in the compartment with the 12V batteries where an inverter and transfer switch could go later.

An inverter, or inverter pre-wiring, could be another dry camping selling point as well...

--Paul
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #102
Commercial Member

LT type tires with at least 15% more capacity that the GAWR and a TPMS for the TT.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #103

Magnets for all drawers. More head space over the sinks.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #104

Boondocker package.

#4 awg wire from roof to best compartment for solar controller or conduit capable of this size wire.

Clearly defined roof joists for mounting rails for solar panels.

Magnum inverter pre-wire for ME-ARC remote panel.

Provision for at least 2 golf cart 6 volt true deep cycle batteries.

Conduits for running massive cables from solar controller to batteries and inverter to batteries.

AC sub panel for all receptacles and microwave and conduit for AC wiring to/from inverter.

Rear bumper shelf stout enough for a portable inverter generator and some 5 gallon gas cans.

No need to install the components, just prep for them. The hardest part when converting a rig for true camping is infrastructure.

Larger fresh water tank.

-Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #105
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryan View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it seems most units with outdoor kitchens don't have a way of powering the refrigerator without shore power.
I would love a way of powering it while towing.
I can see a few ways this could be done...
- 110v/12v fridge (maybe not possible without doing an RV ammonia fridge?)
- provide an inverter to power the fridge (and potentially more!)

I would even settle for some pre-wiring that would easily facilitate installing my own inverter. Perhaps a 110V sub-panel in the compartment with the 12V batteries where an inverter and transfer switch could go later.

An inverter, or inverter pre-wiring, could be another dry camping selling point as well...

--Paul
I've wondered about a main frig that could rotate from inside kitchen to the outside kitchen like some TVs rotate from living to bedroom.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #106

Larger fresh water tanks. 100 Gallon gray water capacity and only 50 gallons of fresh water??

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #107

12 volt lights in closet and under sink.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwierd View Post
12 volt lights in closet and under sink.
Got them in the closet.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #109

More lights in closets and storage areas and a small directional light over control panel
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #110

Looks like most ideas was covered but I have a few on the sewer/gray dump.
1. If you have tanks up front mid and rear pipe them together so you have a single dump point and want need a Y-fitting when dumping.
2. Install a clear PVC pipe at the last section so you can see what is dumping without having to add an aftermarket clear fitting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #111

I would say a simple light wall switch as you enter the bedrooms ours does not have this. It has three double lights in the bedroom but not quick wall switch...like say, the bathroom.
Also dimmable his and hers reading lights above bed.
dkd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #112

The best option that should be standard is the auto level.
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #113

How about a water hose connection that goes straight to the black tank without restriction? I hear a lot about folks that fill and drain their black tanks several times while dumping. Through the toilet valve takes a long time, the sprayer is longer.

But a straight in 1/2" hose fitting would fill it much faster. Of course you certainly wouldn't want to walk away from that.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #114
Cyber Phrenologist

A few ideas, random order...

Turn signals amidships on each side. Bright ones, too! People get in a spot back there and can't see my trucks signals so they just ride along for miles... should be standard on all FR products over 25ft.

LEDs imbedded into light switches so I can find them in the dark. But not very bright, as all those lights would be annoying. Just enough to find the switch.

On "lesser" units like mine, extra stabilizer jacks near the axles. Crank downs for lesser units, electric option for higher end.

Option for 12 VDC outlets. Sometimes we boondock, and there is a world of 12 volt stuff out there I can't use for want of a place to plug it in. Had to make one up myself for my 5th wheel.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #115

The one thing I would love to see from Forest River is Owners Manuals specific to each model withlots of pics and detailed options list with pics. And more specific model info on the web site, like the saq365 sierra 5 pics that's it, I have to go to dealer web sites to specific items when looking for answers to my next purchase. I try to upgrade every 3 years, and spend hours and hours looking for specific pics and info.
mrwoodmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #116

Most needed upgrade in today's fifth wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
How about a water hose connection that goes straight to the black tank without restriction? I hear a lot about folks that fill and drain their black tanks several times while dumping. Through the toilet valve takes a long time, the sprayer is longer.

But a straight in 1/2" hose fitting would fill it much faster. Of course you certainly wouldn't want to walk away from that.

Um, our Rockwood has a tank rinser for the black tank - hook up a hose at the dump or your site, open the black tank valve, turn on the hose and you can hear some sore of rotary spinner spraying the black tank - cool addition Forest River!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #117

Radio,
I like the idea of midship turn signals, excellent point. I have to take a look at ours but it shouldn't be to hard to add.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Um, our Rockwood has a tank rinser for the black tank - hook up a hose at the dump or your site, open the black tank valve, turn on the hose and you can hear some sore of rotary spinner spraying the black tank - cool addition Forest River!
Um, so does mine.

No sprayer. Same water flow rate as putting a water hose down the toilet.

I hear guys talk about dumping, filling, dumping, filling, dumping, repeat. Water through the toilet takes forever to fill it and through the sprayer would take longer. In fact my first weekend out I pulled up to the dual sided dump station and I believe a guy was doing that. Letting it fill through the toilet. He was there two campers before me and was still there when I dumped and left.

So a connection with a check valve that runs straight to the top of the tank. Would greatly speed up filling for a rinse dump.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #119

How about an interior design that's not stuck in the 80s.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Um, so does mine.

No sprayer. Same water flow rate as putting a water hose down the toilet.

I hear guys talk about dumping, filling, dumping, filling, dumping, repeat. Water through the toilet takes forever to fill it and through the sprayer would take longer. In fact my first weekend out I pulled up to the dual sided dump station and I believe a guy was doing that. Letting it fill through the toilet. He was there two campers before me and was still there when I dumped and left.

So a connection with a check valve that runs straight to the top of the tank. Would greatly speed up filling for a rinse dump.
You can only fill as fast as the restrictions in the hose allow. I usually don't have much problems filling my tanks. If I close my black valve while dumping the gray it's about 1/2 full by the time my full grey fully dumps.

What I would like instead is a better sprayer. The black tank flush rarely gets it all and what takes time is having to let it fill in the first place. If the sprayer were positioned to help drive the leftovers towards the drain, then we might not even have to fill at all.

Tags
cat, fifth wheel, forest river, maxxis, tires, upgrade, wheel, wildcat