Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Mounting TV's

I purchased 2 TV's tonight to mount in my 2013 344QB. The one in the Master Bedroom is on the outside wall and even though it has a sticker marking the backer plate, I can't make sure due to the outside wall being pretty solid. How can you make sure that you are attaching to the backer board? Also, what length screws do I use?

Thanks
Scott
rsjohnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

A studfinder (handy household tool available at HD, Lowes, or other big box) should tell you if you have something solid. Most RV outside walls are no more than 1.5" or 2" thick. You should be able to judge wall thickness at a door, window, or outside compartment opening. Depending on what you find, I'd think about limiting screw length to no greater than 1.25"

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Thanks but the stud finder can't find anything. The outside wall is pretty solid in that I can't press it in anywhere and pecking on it sounds the same. I am afraid to install or drill anything without knowing for sure where the plate is. Are the Forest River techs pretty good at marking exactly where the backing plate is with the stickers?

Scott
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

The way I checked mine was to take the cable jack and wall outlet out so I could feel the wood in the wall.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

That worked in the Bunk House but the outlets are in the ceiling in the master bedroom.

Scott
Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Put a SMALL finish nail or 1/16" drill in a drill and drill the sticker and then press around it to find the whole reinforcement.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Put a SMALL finish nail or 1/16" drill in a drill and drill the sticker and then press around it to find the whole reinforcement.
And if there's no reinforcement there, it's a WONDERFUL place to hang a picture!

Seriously, the sticker in my bedroom was right on the mark, but, then again, it was on the backside of the entertainment center. Since I had yanked the unit out of the HUGE hole that Rockwood had cut for the XM radio mount (I replaced the XM with a smaller Serius mount and a whiteboard), I was able to see exactly where the framing was from the inside. That said, the sticker was correct.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote