Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallgrlx2 View Post
Do we have a cost for these tires, or is an alternative a wireless tire monitoring system?
I've seen prices between $320.00 to $338.00 depending on the site.

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #22
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallgrlx2 View Post
Do we have a cost for these tires, or is an alternative a wireless tire monitoring system?
And here's a link to one of the TPMS products on the market:

TST 507RV 4 Wheel System w/ Cap Sensors for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales
Hyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #23

Well my Wildcat is in the shop getting fixed, should have it back in a week or so. I did turn it over to the insurance due to the estimate being what it was, and I really didn't have the time to do the repairs myself.
The shop is going to reinforce the area above the tires on the right side, hopefully what ever he ends up doing it will be enough to keep this from happening again, or at least minimize the damage. Only time will tell.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #24

Sorry that happened on the blown tire. Glad no one was injured. I had a very costly blowout ten years ago which totaled my trailer. So now, three trailers later I am compulsively checking tires and pressure. In fact, I am currently upgrading my 1 year old dying original tires to avoid a blowout. May I also suggest you consider TPMS? I just ordered a TPMS with 6 sensors (4 trailer, 2 rear axle of truck) from TST for 253. They matched the price of RV Wholesale who has them on sale right now plus they gave me a 3 year warranty since they are the manufacturer. I got the 507 RV system with flow thru sensors and they programmed for me. Should arrive today. Amazing company to deal with. You can pick up the 4 sensor system for 229.
I also read that you should install tires that exceed your axle capacity (divided by 2 of course) by 15 to 20 percent. I am upgrading from C to D. For example 4000k axle divided by 2 equals 2000 lbs for each tire. Now add 20 percent safety margin and stress factors to that and you have 2400 lbs for each tire. The C range were only 2150 but the D range are 2540 each. I have tandem 4K axles on my 2014 Windjammer which weighs 8300 lbs total. The axles carry 7400 lbs when weight distributing is applied across the WDH.. Remember, however, you cannot exceed your gross axle weight rating GAWR even with higher rated tires. It's also a smart idea to put higher pressure metal valve stems in. Good luck. Incidentally, I chose the Maxxis brand. Hope you get good service from your next sets of tires.

Carl in AL
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #25
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Maxxis E rated are now standard for Wildcar
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #26

Glad to know a manufacturer is actually putting good quality tires on board. Go Wildcat!
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #27
30+ year RV'er

Corrected TPMS link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyseas View Post
And here's a link to one of the TPMS products on the market:

TST 507RV 4 Wheel System w/ Cap Sensors for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales
Flow through sensors to allow inflation of tires through the sensors: https://www.vulcantire.com/tst_507rv_4wl_ft_rpt_sys.htm
Old 04-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #28
30+ year RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Maxxis E rated are now standard for Wildcar
Looking at the FR Wildcat website, it appears the Maxxis tires are still optional.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
Sorry that happened on the blown tire. Glad no one was injured. I had a very costly blowout ten years ago which totaled my trailer. So now, three trailers later I am compulsively checking tires and pressure. In fact, I am currently upgrading my 1 year old dying original tires to avoid a blowout. May I also suggest you consider TPMS? I just ordered a TPMS with 6 sensors (4 trailer, 2 rear axle of truck) from TST for 253. They matched the price of RV Wholesale who has them on sale right now plus they gave me a 3 year warranty since they are the manufacturer. I got the 507 RV system with flow thru sensors and they programmed for me. Should arrive today. Amazing company to deal with. You can pick up the 4 sensor system for 229.
I also read that you should install tires that exceed your axle capacity (divided by 2 of course) by 15 to 20 percent. I am upgrading from C to D. For example 4000k axle divided by 2 equals 2000 lbs for each tire. Now add 20 percent safety margin and stress factors to that and you have 2400 lbs for each tire. The C range were only 2150 but the D range are 2540 each. I have tandem 4K axles on my 2014 Windjammer which weighs 8300 lbs total. The axles carry 7400 lbs when weight distributing is applied across the WDH.. Remember, however, you cannot exceed your gross axle weight rating GAWR even with higher rated tires. It's also a smart idea to put higher pressure metal valve stems in. Good luck. Incidentally, I chose the Maxxis brand. Hope you get good service from your next sets of tires.

Carl in AL
Thanks Carl, I might look into buying a TPMS for the trailer.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #30

I picked up my Wildcat today from the shop, after they fixed the damage that occurred from the blowout.
They did a wonderful job I might add. They put a piece of flat metal encompassing the entire area over the tires from where my step are going all the way to the rear about 3-4 ft to the rear of the rear tire.

Before:

After:

After:

Before:

After:

After: This is the transition from where the metal ends and the plastic starts, this is approximately 3-4 ft. to the rear of the rear tire.

Before:

After:

For what ever reason they didn't hide the outside speaker wires beneath the piece of metal. I guess if that wire ever gets taken out by another blowout its nothing that important, so I'm ok with it.... I might toy with the idea of using PVC pipe and fastening that to the floor.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #31

Great idea to add the metal to the wheel well. That will protect your camper now.

I take it they did both sides?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Great idea to add the metal to the wheel well. That will protect your camper now.

I take it they did both sides?
No, they just did the right side. The left side has the slide over the wheels, and that presents a very big challenge for retrofitting something over the tires on the left side.... But that doesn't mean if I have some free time, I might look into seeing just what can me done on the left side....

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank

Tags
tire