Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Nasty smell from under kitchen sink

Hello all,

New to this forum and new owner of a 2003 26RBS Wildcat (body type TT). We absolutely LOVE our Wildcat and have taken it out 5 times since April with the next trip scheduled in a few weeks. But we're having a problem with a really bad smell that seems to be coming from the galley tank (maybe, not sure). The smell comes from under the kitchen sink, permeates the camper when it's closed up and not in use, then dissipates when the windows and door are open. While camping just this weekend and sitting outside under the kitchen window, I noticed that when the kitchen faucet was turned on, the smell seemed to seep outside, from under the trailer, in that location. We've run freshening tablets thorugh the kitchen plumbing and it made absolutely no difference. Since we bought the trailer used, we're also not exactly sure where the galley tank is and how it operates on this model. Is there a valve to shut it off from the main gray tank or is the "equilizer" method the only option? We just dumped all tanks and the galley tank says empty but the gray tank says 1/3. (the black guage is never accurate; we know it's empty but it's reading full.) Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for any help you can share!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

Sounds like the air valve(I don't remember the real name) on the drain line is stuck and letting the tank odor back into the trailer.

jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #3

To get your black tank gauge to work properly try flushing out your black tank with a garden hose through the hole in your toilet that should rinse the toilet paper off the sensors
Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #4

your pee trap on your kitchen sink and gey tank may need to be cleaned out that should eliminate the odors inside the coach
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

There could be several thing wrong. Although I am not familiar with that model. Could be the roof vent blocked, leaking pipes, cracked pipes or tank. You will just have to check everything and try to find the cause.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #6

Sink Smell

I have some very bad news for you if your model is anything like my ROCKWOOD 5th wheel. Forest River on most of there models installed the sink vent right outside the door of the trailer right under the window. This is why you smell odor indoors (every time you open the door the smell goes inside) and while enjoying lunch under the canopy. I have tried everything from flushing the tank 3 times in a row with bleach. Vineger and baking soda. Just about every chemical in the book. I am outside trying to find a way to run the vent pipe through the refrigerator vent myself. I am also thinking about installing a tank flushing system like i have on my black tank.(tornado flushing system). Try running one of these ideas by your dealership. Sorry.