Old 09-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Need new spare tire mount

I had stabilizer bars installed on my 2017 Wildcat Maxx F242RLX. I really like them because it takes a really strong wind to sway the trailer at all. Unfortunately, the factory spare tire was in the way of the attachment point for the front bars. So, I've been hauling the spare in the bed of my truck, which is not a bad solution, but I wonder if anybody has designed an alternate spare tire mount, say, on the rear bumper...?

MarkGilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #2

There are many universal bumper mounts on the market. I think the key is locating them close to the bumper attachment point to prevent twisting. there is also a product the stiffens the bumper for just that purpose. google bumper mounts.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Thanks. I got some good ideas from my Google search.
MarkGilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

I'm going through the same dilemma. Bought stabilizers but the spare is in the way, I aggravated the problem by going to 16" rims/tires from 15's. Also I have a fold up rack in the rear, so would have to mount it on that some way otherwise cannot fold the rack down with a bumper mount. Then if I add it to the rack, it will be very heavy. Aarrgh!

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

do some searching on these forums and you should find some threads about stabilizers and how to mount them. Sounds like the OP had a shop install them and they were too lazy or whatever to devise a modification for mounting the front center attachment point. I'm going to do some soon, had them on my last fiver and they were awesome. There's a work around that will allow you to keep the spare where it is.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #6

I'm going to do some soon, had them on my last fiver and they were awesome.

Stabilizers on a 5th wheel? New to me, could you elaborate?
Chardagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGilstrap View Post
I had stabilizer bars installed on my 2017 Wildcat Maxx F242RLX. I really like them because it takes a really strong wind to sway the trailer at all. Unfortunately, the factory spare tire was in the way of the attachment point for the front bars. So, I've been hauling the spare in the bed of my truck, which is not a bad solution, but I wonder if anybody has designed an alternate spare tire mount, say, on the rear bumper...?

I am not sure if you still have room underneath but I added a hide a spare to the underside of my Wildcat. They had it originally in my storage bay.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #8

A bit off topic, but I just got a pair of these Andersen jack blocks and they made a huge improvement in reducing movement in the fiver by shortening the length of the legs. I was amazed how well they work. They are also magnetic so you can stick them up against the feet before lowering the landing gear. So no need to center tham as you lower the landing gear. With our relatively short trailer, I don't think we even need stabilizers now....

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
A bit off topic, but I just got a pair of these Andersen jack blocks and they made a huge improvement in reducing movement in the fiver by shortening the length of the legs. I was amazed how well they work. They are also magnetic so you can stick them up against the feet before lowering the landing gear. So no need to center tham as you lower the landing gear. With our relatively short trailer, I don't think we even need stabilizers now....

that would help, notice if we keep the gear short it doesn't have as much movement. But the J.T. Strong Arms do take more out of it, especially the desert winds
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
wde
Life long camper

Good addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I am not sure if you still have room underneath but I added a hide a spare to the underside of my Wildcat. They had it originally in my storage bay.
Just installed the same underbelly spare carrier on my 2017 Wildcat and it works great.

wde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire