Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
FNG

New 344QB Owner w/ Major Dilemma

Just picked up my 2012 344QB from Lakeside in Anderson, SC. The gang at Lakeside is great and this floorplan is outstanding. There are a couple minor issues like a breaker panel that is inaccessible when the slides are in, and the gas assist pistons on the outdoor kitchen hatch are so strong they could launch a small circus performer clear over the rig.
But there is one issue that I'm sure you'll all agree is a MAJOR design flaw: there is no safe place inside to make coffee in the morning! There is only one accessible 120V outlet in the kitchen/living area: in the main entryway on the side of the sink cabinet. There is no counterspace there to support any small appliance.
The unit comes with a nifty little rolling kitchen island that we have been using for the coffee pot because it offers the only usable counterspace in the entire kitchen, but this is not ideal. You either have a cord stretched from the island to the plug or you move the island and block access to the sink. And I don't even want to picture what happens the first time someone bumps into the rolling island with a full pot of hot coffee on it.
I've been considering adding a little flip-up counter near the existing plug or providing safe power to the island through the floor. If anyone else has any ideas or just wants to praise or rant, let 'er rip!
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

We have a similar situation with the only outlet above the sink. We put the coffee pot on the sink cover to brew, then move it or put away the maker. The key is that we got a coffee maker where the pot is a thermal pot so it doesn't need to stay on the maker to keep it warm (Black and Decker). Not ideal but works pretty well and minimizes time when coffee pot is out.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
FNG

Thanks Bill. Using the sink cover would be a quick, easy fix. Not as convenient as real counterspace but sometimes you just gotta make do.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

I too have the same issue and have used the rolling island and plugged an extension cord in at the outlet at the bottom right of the tv. Not ideal but have to have some coffee in the am and it is better than going outside to do it.
huffy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

Try the Starbucks instant coffee called Via. It's terrific if you are used to brewed coffee. Then you only need a teapot or use the microwave to heat up a couple of cups. Considering a coffee maker is usually 15 amps, I'm glad to leave it behind.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
FNG

Yep, I always try to camp within a couple hunert yards of a Starbucks...
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #7

I think Black and Decker still sells the space saver coffee maker, mounts under the upper cabinets...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
FNG

Road-King- that is a good idea. Unfortunately my only suspended cabinets are directly over the sink and the stove. I don't think I'll have enough clearance but I will certainly take a look.
Thanks,
Fish
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Just picked up my 2013 344, I use a Keureg single cup brewer. No water in the tank when its finished. Makes it easy to use with little counter space.
mgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg123 View Post
Just picked up my 2013 344, I use a Keureg single cup brewer. No water in the tank when its finished. Makes it easy to use with little counter space.
X2 The little Keurig works great, it's small and easily packed away. I usually keep mine in our outside kitchen though. I'm up hours before before wife and girls. It could get pricey if you drink a lot of coffee though. Averages about .40-.50 a cup depending on brand.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
FNG

K-cup cost is definitely a consideration. The wife and I down 3-4 cups each morning just to stay ahead of the kids.
I'm thinking about using the dead space on the right side of the entertainment center. I think there is room on the center's narrow side panel to install an additional outlet and then either mount a small shelf or find a wall-mountable coffee machine. That space is still clear when the slide comes in. Just need to determine if there is a stud behind the wall somewhere.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
K-cup cost is definitely a consideration. The wife and I down 3-4 cups each morning just to stay ahead of the kids.
I'm thinking about using the dead space on the right side of the entertainment center. I think there is room on the center's narrow side panel to install an additional outlet and then either mount a small shelf or find a wall-mountable coffee machine. That space is still clear when the slide comes in. Just need to determine if there is a stud behind the wall somewhere.
I have found that a good stud finder is invaluable for making mods to an RV. I have a professional one, but I've seen cheaper ones that you can calibrate to the wall and will find electrical and plumbing.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote