Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

New Kitchen Ideas and thoughts

Questions in the office and R&D today:

How could a more modern RV kitchen influence your next camper?

If the standard build in a Wildcat was a convection microwave oven and no conventional oven below would that throw you off on a buying decision or would you not care because of the multi versatility of the convection microwave that can bake and microwave both?

Here is link on convection microwaves for a quick snapshot what a convection microwave can do:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection_microwave

A second thought further would be delete the 3 burner gas top range and switch to a two burner induction cook top.

Here is a link about induction cook tops:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking

Now we know the obvious would be no gas for the oven and no gas for the range burners and that would be a problem for the boon dockers campers out there... (there would have to be an option back to a normal microwave and 3 burner gas range and gas oven) short of that how would that impact you decision on your next RV kitchen or what else would you like in your next RV kitchen?

As you can see we are always talking RVs and today is no difference for team wildcat!

Thanks for the thoughts in advance and safe travels,

Tomcat
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Yes! I love the idea of a micro-convection oven. (One of the reasons we chose the new Columbus). I have prepared food on induction burners and believe that you have the same heat control you have with gas.

While the R&D folks are at the table-how about putting in a drawer type dishwasher in the area formerly occupied by the oven?

Yeah I know this is supposed to be camping...
Jo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Great points thank you!
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

I know for us having both the oven and mic. is nice. I use a cast iron griddle on 2 of the burners to cook breakfast and put food in the oven to keep it warm as I cook more. Also DW likes to make chocolate chip cookies in the oven (and of course I like them too) just not sure how good they would be in a mic/oven.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

The induction cook top is really a unique idea and would certainly make a kitchen look very modern especially if you put a dishwasher in place of the oven. I personally wouldn’t want it but I can see where many others would like it. Why not offer it as an option for 2013. Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Site Team

as prospective Wildcat buyers, we would not be interested in the stovetop, since it limits you to places with hookups or using the generator.
in California, less than 1% of our state park campsites have any electric hookups. so, you're forced to dry camp and would need a propane stovetop and oven.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

I have a question and a suggestion.

Does Wildcat ever build a prototype trailer with new ideas like you’ve just mentioned and then display the RV at a large show like the one in Hershey to see the public’s response?

Here’s an idea for your R&D team. How about a drop front secretary’s desk in those bedrooms with the angled bed. Perhaps a portion of the bedroom TV/vanity could be used for that purpose. It wouldn’t have to be an elaborate desk, just something that would be useful for a laptop computer or for journaling. I’m sure weekend campers wouldn’t be that interested in such a desk, but for RV’ers like me who might be on the road for a month at a time a small desk area would be handy. I though I’d just throw out my 2 cents.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

I think I like the fexibility of the separate MW and gas cook top and oven, just in case there is no electricity. At this point, I would probably steer clear of the convection MW and induction cook top. Who knows, there maybe a niche market. I guess that's what you're hoping to determine.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Here to Help

I think just a larger microwave would be great. Convection would be nice but not needed. Thanks for this great conversation.
SabreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

I personally like the 3-burner stove and I like the gas. Do induction burners have to have special cookware? That may be a deciding factor. I cook with electric at home, so I think of it as a "treat" when I'm camping. LOL. Not sure of the microwave/convection combo. I'm vertically challenged, and when using the microwave now, I can barely reach. Can't imagine putting something heavy in the microwave; I'd have to stand on a chair to do it. I do wish my oven had electronic ignition on it. I always have to have my DH light the darn thing for me. I would like to see a stainless steel sink option and a better faucet. How about an option to upgrade all of the faucets? Maybe a "good" "better" and "best" option. Solid surface countertops without going with the diamond package. (Soooooo sorry I missed this by buying last year).
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
JAYCO Representative

Wink Now you're talking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Does Wildcat ever build a prototype trailer with new ideas like you’ve just mentioned and then display the RV at a large show like the one in Hershey to see the public’s response?

Here’s an idea for your R&D team. How about a drop front secretary’s desk in those bedrooms with the angled bed. Perhaps a portion of the bedroom TV/vanity could be used for that purpose. It wouldn’t have to be an elaborate desk, just something that would be useful for a laptop computer or for journaling. I’m sure weekend campers wouldn’t be that interested in such a desk, but for RV’ers like me who might be on the road for a month at a time a small desk area would be handy. I though I’d just throw out my 2 cents.
I really like both these ideas. I can't say they haven't already been discussed -- but I'm very happy to hear a customer asking for them!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #12

Wife hates the convection/mw. We walked out of many at the rv show because they didn't have a regular oven.
From what I am reading / hearing sounds like Wildcat is trying to cut corners and will lose customers interest.
One of the reasons we like the Wildcat was the receiver hitch which they have now eliminated.
johnthecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up We're always trying harder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthecamper View Post
From what I am reading / hearing sounds like Wildcat is trying to cut corners and will lose customers interest.
This couldn't be farther from the truth! Wildcat, as a brand, is known for trying new ideas and innovating when others are cutting corners and skipping features and options. While it can be said that budget is always a factor in our decision making process (which is consumer driven far more than any other variable), we'd be just another generic brand or maybe even out of business if our first concern was to "cut corners." Keeping our customers interested is a top priority. This very thread shows we're wanting customer involvement in our process -- we've always been made stronger by the feedback we get from the over 30,000 Wildcat customers in the last decade!

RVers are a tough crowd -- but pleasing our customer, making them proud of their Wildcat home away from home, remains our goal.
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #14

I find this topic interesting, since my 2005 Wildcat had the convection microwave and no oven configuration. It was an optional kitchen configuration for the 29RLBS, and I am sure other models.

I would like to see a drawer dishwasher offered as an option on mid-range coaches.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #15

Why could you not go back to a four burner stove. Some people use the unit for more then just weekends. DW is always complaining that she does not have enough burners on the stove top. If you want good input take a trailer with the set up you are asking about out for a week with your wives and get their input. Too many trailers are designed with out the input of a woman. I hear more women complaining about the same problem with their trailers (no counter space).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you want good input take a trailer with the set up you are asking about out for a week with your wives and get their input. Too many trailers are designed with out the input of a woman. I hear more women complaining about the same problem with their trailers (no counter space).
the DW has been saying this for years. she made kitchen counterspace her #1 priority, when we went shopping for a HTT, 5 years ago.
there were very few with any at all and since we've been looking at larger RVs for the near future, it still surprises her that this still is the norm in the Industry.
that's one reason she will only consider rear kitchen models, since they have the most counterspace of any floorplan.
she'll walk into a RV and look around and say, "Obviously, a woman had nothing to do with the design of this floorplan".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
This couldn't be farther from the truth! Wildcat, as a brand, is known for trying new ideas and innovating when others are cutting corners and skipping features and options.
I have to back Wildcat Chris up on this, the Wildcat line really is innovative. Just in the past couple of years they came out with the angled bed, the tankless water heater, and the new floor plans with the bathroom in the very front of the fifth wheel. One of their simple innovations was the Central Trash System (CTS), being the trash man of the family I love this. I hope they continue with the CTS in their fifth wheels.

At their price point, Wildcat really does stand alone.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #18

Ideas

Here is an different idea than has been mentioned about microwaves. Why are they not placed lower so they are easier to access and view what is cooking inside them. I know it can be done because our old Wildwood had them that way and a Sandpiper and Sierra Select model have them, just curious why more of them are that way, not everyone is of basketball height.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #19

I HATE electric STOVE TOPS. The pots and pans slide around too much that its hard to scoop anything out of them LOL...

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #20

I cook with gas at home and prefer gas to electric. So no induction for me. The M/W, gas oven and propane stove top gives the best versatility even though we usually have electric sites.

Improvements to hots-pots in the oven is perhaps a better innovation.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote