Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #21

You are right about the fresh water tank pump switch. Had the same switch and monitor on my 98 Prowler.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #22

New owner confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg90gt View Post
It has the level indicator but has a pump switch which I'm guessing is for the fresh water tank.The dealer was just telling us what he would sell it for on his lot.It came up while he was moving it.Agree with the family thing always causes issues later on.

Yes... The pump switch at the bottom is your fresh water pump switch. You only turn it on when using your tank (not city water), as it keeps your lines pressurized. If hooked up to a city water supply, no need to have it on.

I could not imagine a legit dealer trying to sell that unit for any price in the condition its in.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
cjearle

Quote:
Thank you for the fast relies.They did cover the roof with a tarp after the damage was found but not before it did get into the walls.I havent noticed any soft spots on the walls other than the back wall by the entry where the power inverter/fuse panel is.Has a gash above a window that was patched with roof tar.No dark or soft spot on the floor.

When we had it move by the local rv dealer we told him about the roof but he didn't look at it.He sold us some self leveling caulk and sealer for the roof.I'm going to try and do the repairs myself.We are using it as a temporary home while we build one on our land.

Any idea what the switch under the cabinet between the range hood and sink light goes to?

Also has built in stereo when powered off the speakers stay on with a static hissing sound.Could this be from water damage?

When the dealer moved the camper he said it was worth 11,000 and wouldn't sell it less than 6,500.We have officially purchased the camper yet it was a family members that said we could use it until next hunting seasons.

So I thought I would buy it after the dealer told me what it's worth.So should I avoid this one or is it worth the repair for the price?
My personal opinion it sounds a bit pricey with the water damage and needing a new roof and new caulking thru out the camper. Looks like it has been neglected. You can find better campers in better shape for that price I believe. less headaches hopefully. No way that TT is worth $11,000 in the shape it is in. And Even $6500 I personally would have walked away! Just my opinion.

Good Luck!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:

The inside trim is falling and some wrinkles on walls and roof.I picked this one up for 4,500 one owner so hopeing it's a good deal.It was at a hunting club only used a handful of times but zero mantance done.
The dealer told him what they thought it was worth, but did not sell him the trailer. He is getting it from a family member for 4500, as per his quoted post above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #25
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The dealer told him what they thought it was worth, but did not sell him the trailer. He is getting it from a family member for 4500, as per his quoted post above.
Yea I understand he did not buy it from a dealer. But my bad did not see the 4500.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #26

I'm going to the dealership today to see what they have in stock and to see what the cost of material to repair this one would be.
jg90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #27

If he's getting the trailer from a family member in that condition he should rethink what that family member thinks of him. I wouldn't touch that unit if it was free. Because of the model year, I'd be willing to bet that Wildcat also has hidden water damage under the front cap.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:
I'm going to the dealership today to see what they have in stock and to see what the cost of material to repair this one would be.
If you already bought this unit and want to rebuild, I would buy materials from a home improvement store like Home Depot and not from an RV dealer. I'm not sure where to buy a new roof but I'm sure someone here can tell you.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #29
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
If he's getting the trailer from a family member in that condition he should rethink what that family member thinks of him. I wouldn't touch that unit if it was free. Because of the model year, I'd be willing to bet that Wildcat also has hidden water damage under the front cap.
I would have to agree!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #30
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
If you already bought this unit and want to rebuild, I would buy materials from a home improvement store like Home Depot and not from an RV dealer. I'm not sure where to buy a new roof but I'm sure someone here can tell you.
He could check online for a new rubber roof or Get it from a dealer. Sounds like a lot of water damage and a mildew/mold problem to me!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #31

Yes it would be a lot of work, kind of like gutting a house. But it can be done if you are young and ambitious. I enjoy improving my camper but would not want to rebuild it.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #32

Run Forest run.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #33

I would also suggest watching this and similar youtube video's. This guy goes through all the pains you are about to.

bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #34

On a follow up....

Now after seeing some of the pictures of the interior damage it looks like the roof has leaked in several locations and flood damaged the ceiling panels causing the ripples and moulding falling off.

If you are still on the edge of buying this unit....I would advise against it .

You would have months of work to do to it before it would be safe health wise...and everything operating as it should. before you could live in it.

If you had done work on RV's before and knew what you were getting into it may be a different story....But This is a Big project.

What you have shown us here is only the 'tip of the ice burg'....there will be tones hiding as you begin to remove panels....believe me.

I would be very surprised if it has not had rodents living it as well....they can do a lot of damage.... wires....pipes....odours !!

You would be better off looking for another unit and paying up for no or little work to be done on it.

Good luck....keep us posted on your decision .

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #35
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
As mentioned, I would be cautious going to the dealer that moved it for you to get a quote on materials to fix it. From the condition your photos show, if that dealer believes this unit is worth $6500-$11,000 he is going to whack you over the head for materials.

Can it be fixed? Sure... but you mentioned you are building a new house, do you really want to build a new camper at the same time?

Your photos show plenty of damage that is obvious. That also means there is LOTS of damage that isn't obvious.

I am not telling you what to do, I can only say what I would do and that is walk away from this one and locate something that won't add to the headaches that building your new home is going to bring.

Just my 2¢... YMMV.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #36

I thought the only place to get sb-140,lap seal,roof seal and enternalbond was from dealer or online?

The front cap wall feels solid and floor.Only back wall by the big group of windows and the roof near the sky light are soft.

When they have aluminum frame is it the walls and roof trust or just the walls that are aluminum?
Old 02-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #37

The roof trusses are likely the same as the wall framing. If you already own this I would start gutting out the known bad areas and go from there. You aren't going to be able to make any sort of real damage assessment otherwise. No point in shopping until you really know what you're going to need.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 02-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #38

Quote:
I thought the only place to get sb-140,lap seal,roof seal and enternalbond was from dealer or online?

The front cap wall feels solid and floor.Only back wall by the big group of windows and the roof near the sky light are soft.

When they have aluminum frame is it the walls and roof trust or just the walls that are aluminum?
Well you cover the broad sources online or dealer........

Broken down internet, etrailer, amazon, many other trailer sites or even ebay,

Dealer depending on what you exactly you need RV, Trailer, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

There are a couple RV / Trailer salvage yards out there as well.

Good Luck..... The good is you will know a lot more about the make up of a camper and how to fix them than the average person......

Its generally what you would think of a the wall studs & roof trusses (probably not correct term) in other words the structure of the body is all alum.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #39

Well went to the dealer closing thing with the features this one has was 16,000 for 2007 30BH wildcat.I talked with the family member they own a construction company and said they would help with the repairs and keep the price at 4,500.

So next step is to get it sealed up on the outside and then start the inside removal of panels.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #40
cjearle

Good Luck!

Tags
fuse