Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

New Rear Safety BU Camera - Wireless

Have new camera trying to install but my question is can I just remove the center rear clearance/running light and place the camera there? Tries Googling and cant find anything definitive.
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

First.....how often would you/do you drive at night?

I'll be waiting to see what the LEGAL answer is about the centre clearance light not being there. Container transport trailers have no clearance lights, but you're talking about disabling a factory installed clearance light, so I'm waiting.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

Found the answer

It is required by NHTSA to have three lights at the top on units over 80". Well it was worth a try.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
First.....how often would you/do you drive at night?

I'll be waiting to see what the LEGAL answer is about the centre clearance light not being there. Container transport trailers have no clearance lights, but you're talking about disabling a factory installed clearance light, so I'm waiting.
Yes, they do. They are on the chassis as required by law.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

I installed mine (Furrion) between the center light and the next one to the right. A little off center is no big deal and I used the light circuit to power the camera.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

SidecarFlip....

You're right, there are a series of small lights on a flat bed or the trailer of container units, but they don't indicate the height of a rig. The pattern seems to be a light on each end to indicate the width, but not sure what the 3 centre lights matter for if they can be at the top of a rig or along the lip of a trailer.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

what about mounting it directly below the light?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Put BC above the light for your power
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
StlClay

I mounted mine directly below lite. Then tapped into the wiring for that lite and resealed. Been running fine for two years. Wrap with bubble wrap and tape for winter storage

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

What model camera did you get?
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

Above, below or next to makes no difference except you want to mitigate the glare from the light as it will impact image quality adversely..

What I did was take the 2 adjacent clearance light lenses off, masked the centers off and spray painted a couple coats of red paint on the unmasked edges.

While they are still red, the painted edges won't allow light transmission and the resultant glare in the camera lens.

My Furrion fit nicely between 2 clearance lights, My lights are mounted high so no room above.

Wired mine in with Western Union squeeze splices. I like them. Pre-filled with di-electric grease and are mechanically actuated (with a pair if pliers).

Glad I got mine when I did. I see the Wallyworld online price went from 289 to 304.... Christmas inflation I guess.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #12

Went with RVs. 4csm so I can add rear of truck and side cameras in the future. Rear view safety systems. Had them on another unit an
Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #13

Sidecar, exactly what is a Western Union squeeze splice? Google search only returns money transfer stuff.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #14

Bought a Garmin 760 which came with a camera. Mounted in directly below the center light and tapped into the light circuit. Works with the Garmin with lights on and icon comes on the Garmin.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Sidecar, exactly what is a Western Union squeeze splice? Google search only returns money transfer stuff.
I believe Dell City Electronics and Digikey sells them. They are used in communications connections with lighter gauge wires. Basically a hard plastic puck with 2 connection ports (or 4) with a squeeze to secure center.

You get an instant secure, moisture resistant connection that is insulated because the connections are inside the plastic puck.

I use them all the time. Much better than a Scotch lock. Much more secure.

You do have to strip the insulation unlike a Scotch lock.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #16

Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
Have new camera trying to install but my question is can I just remove the center rear clearance/running light and place the camera there? Tries Googling and cant find anything definitive.
Don't know what year your rig is, but I installed my camera right below the rear clearance light about 5 inches. As my Wildcat was already pre-wired for it.
Yours may be also.
Avan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I believe Dell City Electronics and Digikey sells them. They are used in communications connections with lighter gauge wires. Basically a hard plastic puck with 2 connection ports (or 4) with a squeeze to secure center.

You get an instant secure, moisture resistant connection that is insulated because the connections are inside the plastic puck.

I use them all the time. Much better than a Scotch lock. Much more secure.

You do have to strip the insulation unlike a Scotch lock.
I think what you are referring to are IDC's, insulation displacement connectors. We used to call them Ma Bells. You can find them in the phone / data section in the electrical department at the Big Boxes. I think the largest wire they will accept is an 18 or 20 gauge. The ones I have seen have been made by "Ideal" or "Klein".
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
what about mounting it directly below the light?
Factory "pre-wire" puts the housing a couple of inches below the center clearance light. The housing shields the camera from the lights glare. You can see the setup on several FR brand trailers that have them.

This link shows the housing. Flagstaff Super Lite Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

Third row, fourth picture.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #19

Thanks that's where I put it
Old 12-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
Went with RVs. 4csm so I can add rear of truck and side cameras in the future. Rear view safety systems. Had them on another unit an
I also recommend Rear View Safety
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety

« BAL frame | Awning »