Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

New to Site Help with 2012 Wildcat 312BHX Purchase

Well, first post, and been reading so many threads here I'm dizzy.
Totally new to trailers, never owned one....looking at putting an offer on a 2012 Wildcat 312 BHX. In the short term, it will be parked on our lot up north, until I upgrade my F150 to a 3/4 ton to be able to tow it. Down the road we hope to make some trips.
The trailer we are looking at was bought new in fall of 2011 and has never been used. (the owners husband passed away) Its been stored inside for the past 2 years. It is optioned nicely and we love the layout with the bunks for our grandkids.
We are going to have to drive 5 hours to see it later this week.
The only thing we cannot fire up is the water systems as they have been winterized already....or should we insist on this?
We really dont know what to look for in terms of any issues. It does have a 5 year extended warranty which is transferrable so that gives us peace of mind to some degree.
Is there an inspection list that we could get somewhere so we know what to look out for? Has there been any major issues with these trailers we should know about? Will sitting in storage for 2 years have caused any damages anywhere?
We have so many questions and just looking for a little guidance from members here....
Thanks so much for any advice and we look forward to contributing in the future.

Mike
Kawliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Mike! I can't help you with your particular trailer, but I'm sure there are other wildcat owners here who will be able to help and will be along soon.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

I would think finding a used tt that has been stored inside would be ideal. If it hasn't moved at all, may have some flat spots on the tires. Not being able to run the water system isn't ideal, but if it was properly winterized, probably a pretty small risk there for the trade-off of a like-new camper.

Good luck with your inspection.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Kawliga, take the PDI as serious as for a brand new rig. Take a PDI list with you (download from this site) and take your time. If possible spend some time in the rig as a site close to the dealer as shake down to find issues not detected during PDI. May be difficult as the rig is winterized. But something to consider.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #5

You say the Wildcat has already been winterized. If it has been setting for two years unused has it been winterized all that time? Unless you know these folks selling the trailer personally, I wouldn’t take their word as gospel. They are trying to sell the trailer after all.
Should you insist on checking out the water system? Absolutely! You want to be sure to fill the fresh water tank and run the water pump to be sure it works. Be sure the water heater works too. Run plenty of water through the system so you can make sure the holding tanks don’t leak. Since they say the trailer has never been used you can check out the black and grey water drain valves to ensure they aren’t stuck closed. Would you buy a used car from a private party and not check it out thoroughly? Same goes for used RV’s, maybe more so.

Personally I’d hire a RV technician to come out and look the fifth wheel over before I’d even consider buying that trailer. My opinion of course.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Always Learning

I agree with Oakman. The un-winterizing and re-winterizing process isn't hard to do and would be a good learning experience anyway. I think it makes sense to hire a mobile RV tech to go with you, check it over (un-winterized) and really work through it. Once you buy it, you can have the RV tech show you how to re-winterize it.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
PPST OGCDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
You say the Wildcat has already been winterized. If it has been setting for two years unused has it been winterized all that time? Unless you know these folks selling the trailer personally, I wouldn’t take their word as gospel. They are trying to sell the trailer after all.
Should you insist on checking out the water system? Absolutely! You want to be sure to fill the fresh water tank and run the water pump to be sure it works. Be sure the water heater works too. Run plenty of water through the system so you can make sure the holding tanks don’t leak. Since they say the trailer has never been used you can check out the black and grey water drain valves to ensure they aren’t stuck closed. Would you buy a used car from a private party and not check it out thoroughly? Same goes for used RV’s, maybe more so.

Personally I’d hire a RV technician to come out and look the fifth wheel over before I’d even consider buying that trailer. My opinion of course.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I agree with Oakman. The un-winterizing and re-winterizing process isn't hard to do and would be a good learning experience anyway. I think it makes sense to hire a mobile RV tech to go with you, check it over (un-winterized) and really work through it. Once you buy it, you can have the RV tech show you how to re-winterize it.
I second what Oakman and ependydad have quoted

RV Inspection Checklist
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

Thanks all for the replies...an RV Tech is a great idea. This is a private sale and I am uneducated about trailers and their systems operation.

It does concern me that it has never been camped in as it appears from reading here that most issues are "discovered" during the first few trips.

I would also worry a little about the brakes etc...

I have been told that it has been regularly maintained while in storage...

Their is the extended warranty which FR has said they will transfer to me for a small fee, but I would guess all the warrantys on the appliances are expired?

We plant to take the 10 hour round trip in the next week.

I have got a few PDI checklists but a tech is a great idea.

Appreciate any more advice and thanks again folks

Mike
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #9

I looked at that floor plan when we first started shopping for a new fiver. I really liked it. The one item I read to watch for was the tankless water heater. Agree with the others that you should test all water systems, including the water heater.

Good luck. Enjoy it all
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I looked at that floor plan when we first started shopping for a new fiver. I really liked it. The one item I read to watch for was the tankless water heater. Agree with the others that you should test all water systems, including the water heater.

Good luck. Enjoy it all
Thanks, I beleive for the 2012 Model it is a 10 gallon water heater, not tankless....? I beleive in 2013 they went to the Girard....Can ayone confirm this, I guess it will be easy to tell when we head up to see the unit...It is part of a comfort package and just says "endless water heater".

Mike
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawliga View Post
Their is the extended warranty which FR has said they will transfer to me for a small fee, but I would guess all the warrantys on the appliances are expired?
not sure who's telling you this but FR's warranty, both 1st year and the extra 2nd year warranties are NOT transferable.

if the previous owner has a 3rd party extended warranty, that may be transferable but it's not a FR warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Campfire Master

The endless hot water supply is the tankless water heater. There was so much trouble with them that Wildcat went back to the standard heater, at least by the 2013 model year. Of course, it's up to you, but I would walk away just because of the heater.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

Be sure to ask the sellers if they have all the manuals that came with the Wildcat. The owner’s manual for the Wildcat trailer is generic and doesn’t cover any of the appliances such as the furnace, water heater, microwave, refrigerator, ceiling fan, thermostat, water pump, etc. All the appliances will have separate owner’s manuals. If it turns out the Wildcat has a tankless water heater you’ll want to read that manual thoroughly.

As Dan mentioned, the Forest River warranty is non-transferable so if the trailer has an extended warranty be sure to find out who the provider is and whether or not it is still in force.

I will say, if the trailer turns out to be a good deal and you buy it, you’re gonna love the RV lifestyle. Oh, and if forgot to mention in my first post to you, WELCOME to the Forest River Forums. Great information here along with great folks.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

Continued thanks for the input and good advice.

The 5 year protection plan must be third party then, the owner has the paperwork.

It was sold by RV Wholesalers, Terry Town Travel Center
I soke with them and they were the ones who told me the 5 year plan was transferable for a 50/100$ fee.

The heater issue makes me a little nervous. The owner has all the manuals and complete data, she has been very good to send me all the original sales bills.etc...

What exactly are the issues with this heater?

Appreciate all this valuable advice...dont want our first trailer to be a dud/lemon...

Mike
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #15

This deal is looking better and better for you. The first generation of tankless water heaters from Girard had issues. A few of those issues (not many) could be attributed to operator error which is why I said read the manual thoroughly if the trailer has one.
If the Wildcat you’re looking at has a tankless water heater I would not make that a deal breaker, especially if you’re getting the Wildcat at a great price. The tankless system can be replaced with a regular gas only water heater for probably less than $500. BTW, some folks really loved their Girard water heater and had no problems with them. Hopefully the Wildcat will be equipped with a 6 or 10 water heater which would make this discussion a moot point.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #16

Oakman, (Bob), thanks so much for your input so far....and all the others...

You noted if getting at a good price....the owner was originally asking 29k CDN, but has said she will take 26500$ CDN bottom line...(this would be about 23 to 24 k USD....

If the unit is as she states, and all the paperwork is there....is this what you would call a good price. It is essentially still a used trailer but never been camped in...

With respect to the Girard heater I have found lots of info here on the site....so at least I have some insight as to the issues

Regards

Mike
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #17

For price, not sure that would be cheap enough for me. When I was looking, I could've bought a brand new 312bhx with od kitchen, etc, etc flee $28999 usd. I'm sure a new unit would be closer to $31k now. If it is in fact, new, unused, it'll still probably need tires at least($600-$1000). If you are comfortable with it, are able to test all systems, then go for it!

Happy Campin!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Oakman, (Bob), thanks so much for your input so far....and all the others...

You noted if getting at a good price....the owner was originally asking 29k CDN, but has said she will take 26500$ CDN bottom line...(this would be about 23 to 24 k USD....

If the unit is as she states, and all the paperwork is there....is this what you would call a good price. It is essentially still a used trailer but never been camped in...

With respect to the Girard heater I have found lots of info here on the site....so at least I have some insight as to the issues

Regards

Mike
RV outfitters gave me a quote for a new one at 31,500 USD, 2014. By the time I bring it up North to Canada, and have to pay full taxes/duty etc...it will bring it up to about $37500.00 CDN all in.
The owner can write me a bill of sale for far less then the purchase price so I can save some of our 13% sales tax....so all in I could purchase for about 28K CDN.so saving close to 10K....
Its a heck of a long drive just to go see it....sure hope it is as good as the owner is telling me...feel bad for her as it was her and her husbands retirement dream, but he passed away right after the purchase...

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
RV outfitters gave me a quote for a new one at 31,500 USD, 2014. By the time I bring it up North to Canada, and have to pay full taxes/duty etc...it will bring it up to about $37500.00 CDN all in.
The owner can write me a bill of sale for far less then the purchase price so I can save some of our 13% sales tax....so all in I could purchase for about 28K CDN.so saving close to 10K....
Its a heck of a long drive just to go see it....sure hope it is as good as the owner is telling me...feel bad for her as it was her and her husbands retirement dream, but he passed away right after the purchase...

Thanks

Mike
Bottom line, it's your money, spend it like you want regardless of other opinions. If you think it's a good deal, go for it. You are the one footing the bill, that is unless the others are going to chip in some $$.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #20

Your are 100% correct Old Coot....my issue is that I dont really know if I am getting a good deal or not...LOL....just not educated enough and have spent the last 4 days reading as much as I can to learn....and now my brain is mush....like everything else there is always some risk to every deal....just need to satisfy myself and my wife that our risk factor is reasonably low....

Thanks

Mike

Tags
2012, cat, wildcat