Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I have to X2 what EdJunior posted.

One more thing that I recommend is using a checklist when hitching up and unhitching. I think there was a thread on this forum about checklists a while back. Using a checklist will ensure that you don't do something stupid like driving over your wheel chocks, leaving your rear stabilizers down, leaving your steps down or your TV antenna up, etc. The list of mistakes you can make is long. Some of the mistakes are just DUH moments, others can be OH CRAP moments and dangerous.

Here's a link to an OH CRAP moment that cost a woman her life.
Woman killed in accident at Agricenter RV Park - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

The antenna was always our blunder. Never had a mishap, but for the first few trips I couldn't remember to put it down. Now it's the first thing I do. Another thing you'll need is bars for your refrigerator to keep everything in place while you travel. You can buy the fancy RV bars at Camping World, etc., but we just buy the cheapo tension curtain rods at WalMart with the rubber ends. They work great and when they break, you're only out a couple bucks. Don't forget to put your steps in and your fold your door handle back before departure. Above all? HAVE FUN! We went from a tent to our TT last year and we've loved every minute of it. It's sure hard right now, seeing it covered in snow.

Oh...and get a pillow to stick in your ceiling vent in the bedroom if you have one. I swear the light that comes through that thing in the morning could wake a dead person!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #22

I had a 25 ft piece of cable wire and needed 20 more ft to connect to the pole..thus the extra 25 ft and connector to reach the pole..water hose ..i have had connections as close as 4ft to full water hookups and far away as 35 ft +... My wood 2x12s were FREE !!!! but buy plastic if you want...ITs your money not mine ...
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
H2oski

I use a colored clothes pin to remind me about my antenna. Clothes pin clips to antenna handle when down. Clothes pin is clipped to the edge lip of king pin hitch when antenna is up. This way I will see the clothes pin when hitching up my truck if I forget to put the antenna down. My Dad taught me that years ago.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski
I use a colored clothes pin to remind me about my antenna. Clothes pin clips to antenna handle when down. Clothes pin is clipped to the edge lip of king pin hitch when antenna is up. This way I will see the clothes pin when hitching up my truck if I forget to put the antenna down. My Dad taught me that years ago.
That's a great idea...I may steal that one from you.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote