Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1

new to the fifth wheel camping world.

Hey guys i am new to this camping in a camper i have always used tents. We just bought a 2012 Wildcat 323QB. Just wanted to know some inns and outs of the trailer and camping with a fifth wheel. Like set up, rig out, packing, loading, traveling, really any info about anything would be awesome. Thanks guys lookin forward to getting out this summer!!!!!!
muzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #2

check those mirrors while turning..... WIDE...and ..Slow ....while pulling off the highway for fuel/food...etc
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #3

As for how the unit acts when pulling. I would find an empty parking lot, get some road cones and pratice turning and backing. You could also pratice hooking and unhooking while there. I found this to be more helpful than anything else.

If your unit is at your house you can just pratice all of the other things related to the unit. Check out the posts on this fourm, it contains much information that you will find usefull.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
JAYCO Representative

Congrats on your purchase! Welcome to the Wildcat family!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

Thanks everyone the family is very excited looking forward to camping this summer!!!!!!! In style not a tent like it has been for lot lot of years. LOL
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new camper!

To expand on what 'cardinal4fun' said, in the empty parking lot, see if you have clearance between the camper front and the truck cab going forward with the steering at lock. Good to check as I see that you have as short bed. I'm assuming that you have a sliding hitch for tighter maneuvering?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Congrats on the new camper!

To expand on what 'cardinal4fun' said, in the empty parking lot, see if you have clearance between the camper front and the truck cab going forward with the steering at lock. Good to check as I see that you have as short bed. I'm assuming that you have a sliding hitch for tighter maneuvering?

Dave
Hey Dave you bet i have a reese sidewinder hitch. Thanks for the heads up Dave!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Just remember you new rig is twelve and a half feet high. It won’t be an issue on interstate highways and most state roads, but when you’re driving on county roads or in cities be sure to read clearance signs for overpasses. This is especially true of railroad overpasses in cities. Sometimes it’s easy to forget what you’re doing after a long day of driving.

Not trying to scare you, but sh*t happens.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

Great Point!! That is a very graphic picture. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

Ahhhhh sign says 8' ouch ! I don't know a fifth wheel that's lower than that...??!!??
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #11

Welcome! You are going to love your Cat. I just got 2012 313RE this past Nov. and I love it. I have already spent 5 wk in it in TX.

Get those big rubbermade totes from Walmart to store your hoses, sewer hose, and anything else you take in storage. You can see through them and makes it easier to find things. They are also great for taking toys along for the kids.

Go out and have fun making memories! Keep us up on what you are doing.

Cherry
cherrykiss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Since you are from tent camping....lots of your tent items can be used in 5th wheeling . But, you don't need to load, and remove every time, as in tenting .

I have a completly different set of items that I keep in the rig all the time, ready for camping at a moments notice. I.E......Silverware, towels, glasses, plates, linnen,soap, shampoo, other personal care items. , bedding , keep some clothes jackets, rainware etc...........you get the idea.

I just need to hitch up, and go when I want a get away.
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfast54 View Post
Since you are from tent camping....lots of your tent items can be used in 5th wheeling . But, you don't need to load, and remove every time, as in tenting .

I have a completly different set of items that I keep in the rig all the time, ready for camping at a moments notice. I.E......Silverware, towels, glasses, plates, linnen,soap, shampoo, other personal care items. , bedding , keep some clothes jackets, rainware etc...........you get the idea.

I just need to hitch up, and go when I want a get away.
Ok that is what i was telling the wife the other day. Just load it up and keep it stocked up. Basically just get some groceries and head out is what i told her we have to do. Thanks again guys for the tips keep them coming!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #14

One other thing to remember. Always make sure the hitch pin is locking into the hitch when pulling away from the 5th wheel when the legs are up. And don't forget to make sure the tailgate is down when pulling away from the camper once you're set up.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #15

what all does a guy need for fittings for electrical and for water, sewer? Like to plug into full service camp ground or like at home? I have a 30AMP
Also i will need pads for my leg jacks, wheel chokes.......?????????
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #16

A 30 amp reducer plug to connect to a 120 standard outlet ( turn on the Fridge, tv, etc) at Home..yes..wheel chocks (4)..some solid boards..2x4 x12 to put under your tires at un even campsites ..a king pin stabilizer...plastic type square pads for under your front and rear stabilizers..white drinking water hoses..from 4 ft lengths to 25(50 ft total ) ..an extra 25 ft ...30 amp extension cord..extra cable tv cable 25-50 ft with a connector for joining 2 together.. get a membership somewhere to recieve discounts for these purchases ..camping world ??
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #17

oops 2x12 boards..4 ft long
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
A 30 amp reducer plug to connect to a 120 standard outlet ( turn on the Fridge, tv, etc) at Home..yes..wheel chocks (4)..some solid boards..2x4 x12 to put under your tires at un even campsites ..a king pin stabilizer...plastic type square pads for under your front and rear stabilizers..white drinking water hoses..from 4 ft lengths to 25(50 ft total ) ..an extra 25 ft ...30 amp extension cord..extra cable tv cable 25-50 ft with a connector for joining 2 together.. get a membership somewhere to recieve discounts for these purchases ..camping world ??
What do i need the extra cable tv with connectors for? Does the king pin stablizer make a huge difference? Oh and all the white drinking water hose 50ft how does that work?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Now a "Top Member"

dretired has a pretty good list, but could be overkill, or modified. For example, I have 2 25' white water hoses (actually, one's blue). That's all I've ever needed. One is usually enough. Instead of 2X12 boards, which are heavy and cumbersome, get the orange Lynx Levelers at Wal-Mart. These can be used to level the camper side to side, and also as "pads" for your jacks. For my rear stabilizer jacks, I have a couple of 4X6 squares cut to length (about 8" long). Most people don't think a king pin stabilizer does much good. I've never used one. As a "weekender", what little bounce and jounce we have is acceptable for our trips. Rather than 4 wheel chocks, a better choice would be the X Chocks that go between the tires.

And my number one item to take along, especially on your first couple of trips. A notepad and something to write with. That way you can write down all the stuff you forgot or find you want or need. Believe me, you won't regret this one!

And finally, have fun. That's what this is all about.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #20

I have to X2 what EdJunior posted.

One more thing that I recommend is using a checklist when hitching up and unhitching. I think there was a thread on this forum about checklists a while back. Using a checklist will ensure that you don't do something stupid like driving over your wheel chocks, leaving your rear stabilizers down, leaving your steps down or your TV antenna up, etc. The list of mistakes you can make is long. Some of the mistakes are just DUH moments, others can be OH CRAP moments and dangerous.

Here's a link to an OH CRAP moment that cost a woman her life.
Woman killed in accident at Agricenter RV Park - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote