Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

New Wildcat 328CK at the house

Took a run out to Ohio to pick up a new Wildcat 327CK in Lauren interior. Nice trailer but it's got it's rough edges (caulk not beaded nice/locks that are rough/catches a little loose/edges scared up from installation/the roof had spots where the rubber didn't lay flat/just a lack of caring about what they were putting together). It's all stuff I can fix but that sucks for the money paid. We even had to replace one of the front legs as it was bent. At least the dealer was pretty much on top of their end. I will say it pulled very nice. My Ford F-150 didn't like it in the mountains of WV and PA but it did it. We shall report back in the coming weeks how it's doing after we have a chance to take it out on the road. Chris & Wendy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	32759  
dona5779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #2

Congrats on your purchase - good looking rig!

Beware of the weight police over here. You might hear from them.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #3

This is the trailer I have my eye on for an upgrade in a few years so its disappointing to hear of the lack of quality control. A trailer is not a complicated piece of equip. I understand FR changed the awning from 13' to 16 or 17'. hope you got the longer awning.
Not that I'm the weight police but I know this 5er will exceed my payload capacity so your f150 is seriously maxed out. Take it slow and stay safe
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #4

I posted on the Ford forum I'm on and have had quite a few remarks as to my weights. My truck has the HD payload and tow packages giving me 2850 lbs payload with 11,300 lbs pull so I'm under the specs. But with that said, I pulled from Ohio to Maryland or 490 miles total. Will be taking it up to the campgrounds in PA where it is parked most of time except for the winter back home. The calculated mileage for these moves is just around 500 miles per year unless we take a short hop somewhere. On my way back I was getting 7 to 10 MPG with speeds of 50 to 65 MPH.

So far we have found screws for the towel racks missing along with the booklet for the fireplace and maybe the remote for it, if it comes with one? Chris & Wendy
Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

cauk check

Quote:
Originally Posted by dona5779 View Post
took a run out to ohio to pick up a new wildcat 327ck in lauren interior. Nice trailer but it's got it's rough edges (caulk not beaded nice/locks that are rough/catches a little loose/edges scared up from installation/the roof had spots where the rubber didn't lay flat/just a lack of caring about what they were putting together). It's all stuff i can fix but that sucks for the money paid. We even had to replace one of the front legs as it was bent. At least the dealer was pretty much on top of their end. I will say it pulled very nice. My ford f-150 didn't like it in the mountains of wv and pa but it did it. We shall report back in the coming weeks how it's doing after we have a chance to take it out on the road. Chris & wendy
check every caulk spot for leaks!!!! My 312bhx didn't get caulk on the power cord inlet box- first trip out we found a large puddle of water on the floor. Rain rain down the side and right down the power cord. We found a leak in the man slide at the back that a caulk gap was missed. We found this after winter storage. Now i have a soft spot on the floor....

Tripple check their work or you will be in the same situation i'm in....... Good luck
qb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #6

I'll be finding out how good the unit was caulked as we have a big storm coming today. I'll close the slides as they say high winds maybe part of this storm. I'll inspect on the weekend for any leaks and will report findings. Chris
Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #7

I started looking over the trailer and I'm not super happy. Other then the other stuff already mentioned I have found a few other little things. First the under belly cover (plastic wafer board) was installed by a person who didn't know how to use a nut driver as I found over half dozen either installed at an angle, broken off or they missed and just left a hole, nice. I guess I will be replacing that soon. Also when the one slide is in the closed position I see daylight in one of the corners. I don't think that's right, great for uninvited guests and water, either the gasket is not there or improperly installed. I will have to take a good look to figure out how to fix. I also found that the under belly of the slides are not covered just particle board with "paint" and the screws when installed broke the "paint" hence no real seal from water. I will say that the bed slide is covered with a plastic or metal sheet and caulked making water resistant but why not the other slides as they are closer to the ground? I think I have bought a project, nice. It's a shame as we really like the floor plan. I think the Wildcat assembly line needs to look themselves in the mirror as they have turned out a product that really lacks any pride. There was better QC in a Rockwood trailer that was a 1/3 of the price of this trailer. I keep everyone posted. Chris
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
MI Camperz

I'd make a list and take it back under warranty.
Nice to learn what to look for during inspection.
I don't believe I would take delivery if the seals were not absolutely wonderful. That's always one of my biggest worries.
Hope it irons out well and you have many years of excellent camping ahead.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dona5779 View Post
I started looking over the trailer and I'm not super happy. Other then the other stuff already mentioned I have found a few other little things... when the one slide is in the closed position I see daylight in one of the corners. I don't think that's right, great for uninvited guests and water, either the gasket is not there or improperly installed. I will have to take a good look to figure out how to fix...
I too had this issue with one of my slides (atrium). I found a link (below) to a Lippert room slide adjustment instruction .pdf and found it very helpful. Also a Lippert youtube vid explaining it. Fixed mine in the driveway in a 1/2 hour. Maybe not a job for everyone, but job done for me.

http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/pd...ideout-Web.pdf
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Thanks that looks like the fix for the slide and it also looks very easy. Thanks again, Chris.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

Well I figured out the gasket problem, it seems that the installer bent the rubber strip so to fix it I need to remove about 8" of it, cut it square, set in correct position and reattach. Again it's the lack of pride in ones work. Have also found numerous spots where the caulking has holes in it (spot where one starts/stops a bead) just little one but we all know water likes little holes. Found caps missing from tires/drain hoses, can't blame that one on the factory as the dealer should have looked and supplied unless staff just didn't put them back. If I ever buy another trailer, I'm buying a cheap one as it will be the same quality as an expensive one. Just not as pretty. Chris
Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

Update-ran the trailer up to the campgrounds and I do have to say it pulls very nicely up the mountains of PA. I even backed in the trailer (my first 5th wheel) with guidance into my site. I was very proud of myself as a few years ago, I would have not been able to do it. Got everything hooked up and we go camping this weekend, will report back on how things went. If everything worked? Chris & Wendy
Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #13

Well back from the weekend of camping. Everything went well no major problems just the normal little things that needed to be redone to get them right. I'm happy I didn't have to redo door handles as they all seem to be on straight. The front door lock needed a shot of WD40 to get it to work and the pocket door has come off of the track (it looks like the rear hanger has come out of the door). I will be redoing the rubber seals around the cargo doors as they leak. Roof seems to be good so far. The plumbing also seems to work no leaks noticed nor running water heard. The AC is great, go figure the mountains of PA and it's 90 degrees. Chris & Wendy