Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

New Wildcat 4 point leveling question

I'm on the verge of ordering a 2017 Wildcat 32BHX fifth wheel and am getting conflicting information on the 4 point leveling system.

I was going over the options I wanted to order and when I mentioned the leveling system, my dealer said that the factory rep told him that he wouldn't recommend it. He said the frame on the new mid profile Wildcat fivers aren't strong enough for the system to work as a leveling system and it would only be a very expensive stabilizing system. He stated that it would end up just bending the frame if it had to lift it any more than about a degree off of level. The dealer said he was surprised to hear that as he has sold the same system on other similar fifth wheels with no problems. It seems strange that this is a factory option, yet the factory rep is recommending not to purchase it.

Does anyone have this system on the one of the newer Wildcat fifth wheels, specifically the new mid profile ones introduced in the past year? If so, does it work as intended as a leveling system?
wgm320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have it on my 2016 Wildcat 295RSX. This model was built with the BAL frame. Its worked great for me. I havent noticed any frame bend issues at all.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the response and I'm glad you mentioned the BAL frame.

The frame I am asking about is the one make by Lippert for the newest Wildcats.

I hoping someone with the new Lippert frame with the factory auto levelers can chime in here as I would like place my order in the next few days.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

I have a 2016 Wildcat 295RSX with the BAL frame also and the auto leveling system has worked great. I would call Forest River for more info. Not sure why they would have it as an option if it is an issue.
kdowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

The former BAL frame used 12 inch I beams.

The new Lippert frame uses 10 inch I beams, hence the suggestion that the new frame does not do well with the electric leveling system.

What has transpired since I posted is that I found out that the only way for the frame warranty to not be voided to is have Forest River install the electric levelers at the factory. If had them installed at a later time, then if something happened to the frame, I'd be out of luck. This information came from the dealer.

I decided to go ahead and order the levelers.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #6

As you have ordered them I'll chirp. Doubt FR would offer the option if they could see a problem. I have the Lippert ground control 3 system and it is great. Only thing they cannot answer is why so many adjustment holes on the front landing gear when if use use more than 3 or 4 it will cause an error. The error is easy to correct but a PIA.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #7

I use the 5&6th hole with mine and have not had an issue, in my drive way because of a slight slop I use the 7th whole.
kdowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdowdy View Post
I use the 5&6th hole with mine and have not had an issue, in my drive way because of a slight slop I use the 7th whole.
Wednesday was the 2nd time I had RF error. Had to do the HOME procedure before it would auto-level. Before going through HOME again I called Lippert. The tech made the 3 - 4 hole statement and it hit me that the tech doing the PDI told me the same.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, leveling, wildcat