Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

NXG frame

Wondering how the NXG frame is fairing, and if Forest River is going to continue using this in its fifth wheels...
How long have they actually been built with the NXG frame by BAL? And does anyone else build with this frame?
We have been thinking about buying a Wildcat 295RSX or 327ck for nearly a year now. Love that these have such huge basement storage areas, on a lighter weight fifth wheel. Went to the Dallas RV show this weekend, and saw a different model that the dealer said "came straight from the factory to the show." Noticed that the basement was small, like it wasn't built with the drop frame. She didn't know anything about it.
Also noticed in another thread that Forest River is no longer making the 295RSX floor plan. Such a new plan, why would they discontinue already. It's a floor plan that has so much, but in a more manageable length.
Also see lots of complaints about cracking walls, etc. Could this be an issue with the lighter weight NXG frame?
Has anyone toured the Wildcat factory recently, that may know something?
It makes me rethink a new purchase. Any information anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks
TTforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We did the tour in August 2014. Until July 2014 they used Lippert frames for all the Wildcat units. Then they replace them with the NXG drop frames. The NXG frames were going to be an improvement to the quality and extra room in the basement. As far as I know this was going to be the standard frame for Wildcat.

My Wildcat 327 ck is going back to the factory in a week because of cracks in the side walls. It was made on a Lippert frame and that series had the problems. Wildcat had no issues on taking it back to repair it. I would guess the 2015's should be good.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

Did you happen to notice if the model with the small basement was a Wildcat or Wildcat Max? The Wildcat Max is made in a different part of the country (west) than the Wildcat (East) and may not be using the same BAL frames. At least they don't mention it in the current literature.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Keisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

A few weeks ago, I asked the regional Wildcat rep about the discontinuance of the 295rsx and this is what he emailed me. Inserted within his text, I've added a few of my comments (marked "myedit") based on my comparing the 295 vs 29 specs, photos and floorplan.

From: Bruce Swank,Wildcat by Forest River, Inc; Sept.30,2015
"Bill, Sorry I'm just now responding. Had the Dallas RV show and the Forest river Expo/Open House, in back to back weeks. The 295RSX as you and I know it has been "discontinued". Wildcat has a new GM and he made the decision to "re-vamp" the product...top to bottom. The new model that takes place of the 295RSX is called (clickable link in bold Wildcat Fifth Wheel 29RLX."

"Many features that were on your Wildcat have been retained on the new version, but there have also been some things changed (ie.

- Exterior color
(myedit: now almond instead of white, modern decal stripes but the cat head is gone),
- TV size (myedit: now 50" instead of 49"),
- W/D prep added,(myedit: this meant sliding the bed over so the aisle in front of the slide out dresser is useful as access to the W/D door.)
- (myedit: Switching sides with the kitchen slide made more room and it's now possible for the Theater seats to be big enough to have drink holders and the table area big enough to have a booth, so free standing table is once again optional)
- (myedit: Small window added to Kitchen slide)
- (myedit: Looks like the rear couch now has end tables)
- (myedit: when they reversed the slides and moved kitchen slide to the entry door side, they created an outside accessible storage that lines up with where the fireplace is on the inside. Perhaps this is to remeditate the loss of that huge NXG front storage.)
... etc."

"There are a few things not retained (ie.

- flush floor bath to bed
(myedit: Bath is now at second step and no direct entry into bedroom, must go thru step hallway),
- trash comp (myedit: it was just a trash drop thru not a compactor),
- NXG 2 chassis (myedit: goodbye to that huge front under storage bin),
- (myedit: radius shower replaced by larger square shower
- (myedit: eliminated bathroom linen closet),
- (myedit: eliminated large kitchen glass door pantry, and put kitchen slide on the opposite side.),
- (myedit: it looks like the 9 cuft stainless steel look refrig has now gone back to the 8 cuft model with rosewood stained facias (like before)
- (myedit: tanks smaller 34 gallon black and gray tanks, not 50 gal
...)."

"Overall, the product looks GREAT and the dealers who saw it last week are thrilled about how it's featured and priced. Thank you for being such a Great ambassador for Wildcat!!"
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Regarding the BAL NXG frame ...

I've had it on my 295RSX now for 15000 miles of towing and had no issues. I haven't noticed any mis-alignments or side wall cracks or anything at all. It is my personal opinion that FR probably went back to Lippert frames when their new GM addressed business issues between the two competitors (LCI vs BAL).

I too had been told that FR Wildcat was in the process of changing all of their models to BAL NXG. To me that sounds like a big threat to Lippert and one that would have invited a counter attack in the way of either unit pricing or other terms. It's a competitive business, I believe it way more likely that the change back was more related to a business decision rather than a technical or structural issue. The only other possibility I could fathom would be an issue with delivery capability. If BAL could not meet FR's supply on demand structure, that would instigate a move back.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame