Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

OEM Tires or Other?

Having had problems with tires on our old 5er, (Lost 3 of the 4 on one trip.) I'm feeling a bit leery about OEM tires that come on new trailers. We are due to take possesion of a Wildcat 313RE in the next couple weeks and am curious what folks are thinking and what action is taken with the tires that come on their new trailers.

Granted the tires we had troubles with were 8-ply, 14", Carlisle, tires that were already 4 years old when received from Carlisle. The tires that are coming on the new Wildcat are a brand I'm not familiar with, Freestar Radial S/T is on the tire, 10-ply, 16", so I'm hoping they'll hold up better.

Some folks on the forum say they always go with Michelin XPS tires, why not Cooper or other brands?

Also would like to learn more about tire pressure to maintain. I realize it depends upon loading, temperature, etc.

Looking forward to input.
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

There is so much information about tires, you might do a search and read the first hundred threads or so...

First off carlysle tires are notorious for blowouts. But no tire should be run more than 60 months pray manufactured date regardless of condition.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

I've been through two camping seasons with my 5er and it came with Goodyear tires on it. I keep my 5er in an enclosed garage so that the tires aren't exposed to weather when it is stored. My tires are load range E (10 ply), and I keep them inflated to 80 psi when pulling. I hold my speed around 60 to 65 mph on the interstate. I think proper inflation and keeping them out of the weather are the two most important things you can do for good tire life on your trailer.

As for brands, I don't know. I can't complain about the Goodyears so far. I run load range E Michelins on my truck and they are great as well.
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Finding good 14" tires for a trailer is difficult. Study the threads (like many of us have), but in the end, for 14"era, you'll have very few good brands to choose from, unless you can fit 15" rims in your wheel wells. I couldn't, so I went with the Kumho 14" tires. One season on them (only about 1500 miles), and very happy, so far.

BTW - Whatever you go with, consider a TPMS, as low pressure is the most common cause of tire failure.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. Does anybody worry about the tire pressure to the point of running less than the 80 lbs if you don't load the trailer to the max? Or do you just start off at 80 lbs and monitor them? I do use the Tire Minder TPMS so have gained a little stress reduction that way. The tires on the new 5er are 16" 10-ply, so they should be fine for a while as long as I monitor the pressure/temp on them.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

I run 75-80" depending on how loaded my Sabre is. I usually drive 60 mph - not in a big hurry. The load rating is above the capacity of the 5er so I feel I have a little cushion. Not familiar with the tires I have - they are 16" "E". Sorry can't remember the brand name and 5er is in storage. My last two trailers I swapped-out to Maxxis tires. Used these many times - trailers, 5ers, dune buggies, dirt bikes and am a believer in their tires. Have to special order here in NorCal through America's Tires.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #7

With the more people I talk to about this, it appears I'm over-thinking the issue. Start at rated pressure, relax and monitor them. Karma is karma. What will happen will happen.

Thanks all.

Nev
Days camped 2013 = 51 (as of 26 Apr)