Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Picked up new 2016 312BHX

We took delivery of our new 312BHX this weekend which is our first 5th wheel. Got the B&W companion set up on our new Silverado 3500 and it pulls great. Maybe a touch nose high but its already set at the lowest setting and we still have a good amount of bedrail clearance.

We had good weather Saturday so spent all day going through it cleaning it, I removed the access in the pass through to investigate putting in my PI SP. Took time to bundle some wires and heat vents but for the most part looked good. No interior issues at all everything looks good and solid.

I spent all day Sunday cleaning up the wiring in the battery area. This is our 4th trailer and they never cease to amaze me. The positive block had wires that easily pulled out of their crimps and I could turn the ground screws by hand. This may explain why I had an intermittent "check trailer wiring" message on the way home although everything did function fine.

I redid almost every crimp connection and organized the wiring. I also installed a blue sea common ground block to better isolate all the grounds with now only one good central ground from trailer to the block. I then took the time to redo all the connections in the pin box as those crimps were also subpar.

Although it only cost me time still disappointing on a new trailer. At least I'm now confident in the wiring and its nice and organized. To many mods planned to list but I can work on them now at my pace while the trailer is in storage.

On the pro side we really like the amenities of this unit. We got the last pre change unit from our dealer. It has the BAL drop frame, all led lighting, upgraded rims and tires, moryde suspension and HD shackles, bigger storage, bike rack, larger fridge etc. Lots of these I find very valuable so overall we are excited.

I like tinkering so fixing up the small stuff is to be expected with any RV.
sugarjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

Enjoy your new camper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

Picked up new 2016 312BHX

We have the same trailer and had the same issues with the wiring. I have redone pretty much all the connections. I opened the sides in the basement and checked all the water connections as well, some were loose as well as the drains under the sinks. Learned that one from our last Trailer that leaked for some time and it was just the drain..

We really like unit the so far. We just finished our 3rd trip.

Enjoy!
Timna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #4

Always nice to have a new shiny toy! Enjoy...
Old 02-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #5
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats...that is a really nice floorplan!
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. We are looking forward to the new trailer. I'm ocd by nature so always check water connections as well.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #7

5r hitch, first purchase

First present my wife got me was a BED SAVER. Even if it only works once, it will save $,$$$. My 1st 5r and I don't want to mess up my TV (it cost too much). Her next project is the tailgate, put literature in her reading pile.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Have the same coach. It's a year old and very few problems. For the money it is a really nice camper. Enjoy!
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
312bhx