Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Picking up new Wildcat

Hey guys i am going to pick up my new Wildcat fifth wheel on Friday April 27. This is first fifth wheel anything i need to take extra?(yes i know hitch) LOL. Any tips on towing, hooking up, inspecting fifith wheel before??? Any info will help Thanks

muzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Be prepared to be a bit intimidated. The first time you look in the rear-view mirror and see that big thing back there, it'll humble you. And it will take a couple of tows to really get used to it.

As far as tips and such, hopefully your dealer will go over all that with you. Towing it is great once you get the hang of it. It backs up differently from a TT, so if you have a place you can do some practicing, I would recommend that.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbomb View Post
Hey guys i am going to pick up my new Wildcat fifth wheel on Friday April 27. This is first fifth wheel anything i need to take extra?(yes i know hitch) LOL. Any tips on towing, hooking up, inspecting fifith wheel before??? Any info will help Thanks
Make sure your tail gate is down and tire(s) are chalked before hooking up. Your dealer is required to go over entire trailer with a checklist to make sure you understand everything and make sure all items work. A lot of times they fly right through items or say well there is no water in system but if there was it would work this way, example for hot water heater and water pump.

On the outside check out the condition of the tires including spare, take a look at the sides and make sure there are no scratches, decals peeling, and no delamination (waving spots or bubbles) the sides should be completly bonded and flat. Check the operation of all doors and latches. If you are able to go on roof check out its condition, the rubber should be bonded and tight, no bubbles or high spots, rips, or tears. It is not normal for the rubber roof to be loose over the trusses. Check the condition of the A/C cover, vents, and sky lights. Make sure everything is sealed to include the front and rear caps. Check under the trailer and under extended slides for rips, tears, tape coming off. Check condition of under belly panel, it should not sag or have any tears or openings. Take a look at the corners and along top rails under the gutter to make sure all seams are sealed and no seperations. Look at the drain tube in refriderator compartment, if its the serated white hose or tube, try wiggle it a little and see if it breaks or cracks. Finally make sure your keys all work and locks turn freely.

Inside check all fixtures, lights, faucets, mirrors, to make sure they are all mounted correctly and level. Check all cabinets and doors to make sure they are aligned and they open and shut correctly. The drawers should move freely and lock in closed postion. The doors should all open and close, and latch. If you have a sliding door/mirror closet make sure it slides freely, opens, and locks. Have the technician power up your A/C or heat and check the output of air at each vent throughout the trailer, there should be a good flow of air coming out. Look at the ceiling where the seams are covered by a strip, make sure staples are all painted or sealed otherwise they will corrode. Look at each corner, there should be no spaces. If you have wall paper trim, check to make sure it is aligned where it meets in corners, especially in bathroom. Make sure your slide outs operate smoothly and don't ratchet or make a lot of noise. If you have hydraulic slides, let technician run the slide in and out a couple times to make sure it doesn't stop in travel. If it does, ask if they will put a higher amp breaker located by hydraulic pump. Look at all your furnishings to make sure wood is not scratched or shows signs of wear or rub when being stowed, fabrics clean with no tears or coming apart. Make sure all your shades, to include day shades, go up and down smoothly and not stick. Check the operation of windows, they should all open smoothly and do not ratchet. Also make sure the windows are all sealed, they probably just washed your trailer so check for any leaks inside around doors, windows, and sky lights. Make sure all your lights work.

Now most importanlty go out and have fun. Congratulations on your new purchase.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to pick it up, first thing is a PDI check list. There are several on here if you do a search. (PDI, Pre Delivery Inspection). Make sure you know how everything works.

The other thing, when you drop 1000 pounds on that hitch, you'll be sorry you put that leveling kit on your truck. You'll have to deal with that.

Oh yea, towing is the easy part, just remember you are 14 feet tall, and definitely not Bullet Proof.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
If you are going to pick it up, first thing is a PDI check list. There are several on here if you do a search. (PDI, Pre Delivery Inspection). Make sure you know how everything works.

The other thing, when you drop 1000 pounds on that hitch, you'll be sorry you put that leveling kit on your truck. You'll have to deal with that.

Oh yea, towing is the easy part, just remember you are 14 feet tall, and definitely not Bullet Proof.
Why will i be sorry with the leveling kit?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The leveling kit has already taken some of the weight off the front axle. The pin weight is going to take even more off. Want to know for sure? Drive across the scales before you get the trailer. Then drive across with the trailer. See how much axle weight you have on the front.

Basically, the towing specs on any vehicle are for factory suspension. Do any mods to the suspension, alters the towing capabilities of the vehicle. You may be fine, I didn't look at weights of your truck or trailer, just caught the front lift. Several threads on here about towing with a lifted vehicle. Also being a short bed, your turning radius might be slightly limited with the camper, vs. a long bed. It will be what it will be, there is always a limit somewhere.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
The leveling kit has already taken some of the weight off the front axle. The pin weight is going to take even more off. Want to know for sure? Drive across the scales before you get the trailer. Then drive across with the trailer. See how much axle weight you have on the front.

Basically, the towing specs on any vehicle are for factory suspension. Do any mods to the suspension, alters the towing capabilities of the vehicle. You may be fine, I didn't look at weights of your truck or trailer, just caught the front lift. Several threads on here about towing with a lifted vehicle. Also being a short bed, your turning radius might be slightly limited with the camper, vs. a long bed. It will be what it will be, there is always a limit somewhere.
Ok i will check it out, i have a sidewinder i will be putting on once i get the camper home so that will help with the turning radius.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

Well picked up the new Wildcat. It is beautiful the family loves it!!!! It towed great i had about 9" of space in between box to fifth wheel. Which i was worried about just from people stressing me out!!! LOL. She towed good at 115kph with a pretty good cross wind and head wind at times. Just got here home on friday morning and friday afternoon it snowed about 6" inches. LOL. Cant wait to get it out and go camping!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

You got some great help from the users group. One more thing. They all leak. Watch for signs of leakage during or after every rain. Especially at the inside corners of the front cap and rear corners. Also the interior bottom corners of your slide-outs. If you have a front closet, pull out any drawers that might be on either side to look for drips. On the rear corners water always drains to those areas from rain or condensation from the AC unit. If there is the slightest opportunity for intrusion, water will find it and begin its insideous work. Vigilance is its own reward! Lay a straight edge alongside you wheels to make sure they are in alignment. Happy Trails to you!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbomb View Post
Well picked up the new Wildcat. It is beautiful the family loves it!!!! It towed great i had about 9" of space in between box to fifth wheel. Which i was worried about just from people stressing me out!!! LOL. She towed good at 115kph with a pretty good cross wind and head wind at times. Just got here home on friday morning and friday afternoon it snowed about 6" inches. LOL. Cant wait to get it out and go camping!!!!!
Glad it pulled well. Just remember the tires on your 5er are only rated for 65mph/105km. Be careful and have fun.

Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote