Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Pin box separation 2011 wildcat

Not sure if I am posting this in the right area, if not can the moderator please move it to the appropriate area. Thank you.
We bought a used 2011 wildcat 28rksb this past February 2013 from our local RV dealership and over the last few months have been getting some bugs out of it and getting it set to our liking etc. Yesterday was our second shake down run to a local campground about 65 kms from home and our 2nd visit since late May. We hauled our own water, full tank as the water is non potable in the campground nor is there a sani dump. In the past these trips are very lite loaded with the exception of our own fresh water and food.
Yesterday on the way home and about 2kms from our turn off I crossed a rather rough bridge crossing, one I usually straddle but was unable to yesterday. I hit this at 100kms (62mph) and slightly braking before,after a hard bounce things got a little noisy from the hitch area. No parts flying off, smoke or things dragging. We had a short ways to go to our off ramp and a safe zone and that's when things again got a little unnerving. As I started into the off ramp a hard steep sharp right the hitch area started to give a loud shriek and then as I started to pull out of the ramp and straighten out could see the bed /floor area over the pin appear to be bouncing on the bumps something not seen before this. By now I am getting a little more concerned and am trying to see what's up and looking for my safe zone. We stopped at the red light gently and it appeared to me that the pin box area was doing an up and down movement front to back and the same when pulling away. We carefully proceeded to go to our sani dump station and unloaded and after got pulled over into a quiet safe side street to have a look and could not see an issue at the 5th wheel or the truck and trailer,dropped the landing gear unhitched and re hitched.
This time we did a short roll back and forward with a gentile brake and it looked to me like the pin box did the up and down wave back to front. I carefully got it back to our yard at home and after looking at it detached and leveled it would appear that the pin is at about a 5° or close tilt upwards to the front. I also noticed the space between the pin box and floor goes from tight front to about 5/8 inch to the rear of the pin box area. I think and I am positive the pin box has separated form the main frame up front. I have spoke to the dealership today and it will go in next week, judging by the service reps reaction I feel this is the problem.
So I am asking, who is is now responsible for the repair Forest River (factory defect/workmanship), the dealer or me the guy who now owns it and has to make it documented safe before I use it on the public roads. I am in Alberta Canada so things are likely to be a little if not totally different than the US. If someone up here has had this issue how was it resolved? One way or another it cannot be used by me or anyone else until it's repaired. Greatly appreciate all your input. Thanks
Rocky Mountain Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Are the bolts sheared holding the pinbox to the trailer or is the whole thing broken away from the trailer frame? Pictures would sure help.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

No sheared bolts,Pin box is still attached,thought of pictures but you really can't see anything outside of the pin angle and feeling up in the open area above the box. I believe the problem is up front under the cap and the belly pan. I think it has pulled away from the part of the main frame.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Always Learning

Is the problem inside where you can't see? Have you opened it up to take a look?

As for whose problem it is now- in my *opinion*, essentially all of yours but it mostly falls on your dealer to make sure they're pushing Forest River through the process for a warranty like this. Yours to keep on the dealer and make sure they're doing what they need to and to contact FR if things don't seem to be progressing.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

As a second owner you're probably not going to get a lot of satisfaction from Forest River. I would try to pursue this matter with your dealer and/or Lippert. Did your dealer provide you with a warranty when you purchased the Wildcat or did you buy an extended warranty on the unit?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Problem is inside,I was going to pull the belly cover off and have it repaired myself but thought just maybe this could be an issue back to the manufacturing of the trailer frame and to tamper would close out any path to have the dealer or FR accept responsibility . Therefore chose to talk with the dealership. Dealer service rep indicated if it was pin separation that FR would be notified and go from there.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Is the problem inside where you can't see? Have you opened it up to take a look?

As for whose problem it is now- in my *opinion*, essentially all of yours but it mostly falls on your dealer to make sure they're pushing Forest River through the process for a warranty like this. Yours to keep on the dealer and make sure they're doing what they need to and to contact FR if things don't seem to be progressing.
Oakman- I completely missed that it was a used trailer. That does make it much more of a sticky wicket.

OP- your dealer may be helpful, but FR and/or Lippert helping out is going to be hit or miss.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Buying used with limited warranty, IE the contract, I didn't buy an extended warranty which could be debated their merits and I have never had much success with extended warranty programs in the past. Going to run with the dealership approach first and see how it flies. Just kind of bugs me that if this was factory defect in material or workmanship or whatever at the manufacturing end a recall likely should have been sent out I am sure I am not the only one who is having or has had this issue.

I am not saying at this point it is FR's fault or the trailer frame manufacturer as it is not proven yet but one really needs to wonder.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

There is a post on the Wildcat camper forum on this issue here is the link.

So You have a Lippert Frame and you want to know if you are screwed or not Inst. Inside

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

I also check mine with a bore camera and so far I can not see any cracks yet.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #11

Thank you onetonford for the link.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #12

Just finished reading the above link that onetonford supplied.The pictures are informative as to how the trailer skeleton is put together. And the task of removing the MB interior. At the moment the only thing coming to mind is holy **** this is going to be a bit of a task to make right.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #13

Have the trailer in the shop today. Service manager and myself watched as the trailer was tested for unusual movement in the pin box area. Test really did not reflect in my opinion the real world movements and at the end he said he felt the movement was normal. He also pointed out we have no stress cracks appearing in the fiberglass to show a problem nor do we have our interior being damaged...at this point. I however disagreed in a polite way and we are now going to pull the under belly panel off and start there to inspect the frame. So a few more days to wait and see.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #14

Not sure if I should post here or start my own thread and please forgive me as I don't know all the terms and parts of my 5th wheel despite owning it for 7 years.

On Friday as we were pulling our camper (2007? Wildcat) to our favorite campground where we have a site booked till the middle of August we noticed that the camper was getting closer and closer to the bed of our truck (F350 dually). When we finally pulled into our site our camper was actually rubbing on the truck and we have a nice big gouge in the rubber of our bed protector. We got it all set and unhitched and OMG! what we found was horrifying! Keep in mind we had our 3 children (ages 4, 10, and 15 and our 2 dogs) with us. I am so glad we are all here alive and well as this could have been bad.

Without further ado here's the pic (someone will have to help me out with terminology) of the hitch box?:

You can see the metal has sheered right off. Now what? Who is responsible for this? We can't even pull this out of our site now. I will contact Forest River tomorrow (Monday) and pray that they can help us.
zactayaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #15

Well we hit a small snag with our trailer, dropped it off June 18 in a heck of a rain storm.
As our luck goes said rain showers persisted and June 20 at 5:30 pm the whole town was evaced grab and get out. Close to 14,000 people are out, some close to 5000 returned in the last 48 hrs to clean and rebuild. More are expected to return in the next few days. We live in the hardest hit area and are 3 to 5 maybe 7 weeks from returning to what is left of our house. Now it is all Politics......Trailer did well as the dealership was on the highest ground in the area. And is out of our reach until we are aloud back in. Anyway long story short we are going to have the skin pulled and have a look so when this happens ? I will post the best pics I can for reference. Can't do much from my I phone so when things get squared I will try to carry on with the tread...to all, safe camping and check the rig.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #16

Hitch Box Repair Info

I went through the entire hitch box repair 3 years ago on our 2007 Wildcat 28RKBS. I am pretty handy and repaired some of it myself but didn't feel comfortable with the initial frame repair. I removed the cover under the front bedroom and opened everything up so I could see all damage. I paid a local welder to put everything back where it was supposed to be by a combination of hitching, unhitching, using the weight of the truck against the frame hydraulics as well as pulling frame members in place with a come-a-long. No, didn't damage the hydraulics.
His repair consisted of welding 2 triangular pieces (4 total)on both sides of the pin box frame attachment and patching the torn frame welds with reinforcements. After I got it home, I welded 2 box steel stiffeners in between the forward most beams that run the width of the camper frame. This helps prevent excessive twisting in the frame which I feel caused the damage in the first place. This repair did add about 68 lbs to the front of the camper.
I Installed two small keyed hatches on both sides of the pin box so I can inspect things every time I feel like it. So far, so good and 2 years and thousands of miles.
I was lucky and bought the camper knowing about the damage. I saw something suspicious, researched problems and confronted the seller about the damage. He sheepishly admitted to damage and the price went way down.
I did have pictures of all this but lost my hard drive last year w/o sufficient backup- ug! I can still send some pics but everything is pretty much covered up now. any questions? Just send a reply and ask. I will tell all I know.
Frank
sc_cmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #17

Good job done. I like the two inspection boxes. You never know!
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote